Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrysler orders 93 rare early Vipers to the crusher

Most cars ( I didn't say all ) donated to teaching / education facilities are on LOAN not given for free.

I seriously doubt any of them have had there vin removed, IF they have,,, a manufacturer can't just magically just wip up another one. Once a vin is assigned to a chassis by federal law that vin a and chassis are now as one.

Besides, like mentioned these cars are far to old to offer much if any educational value.

Plus once destroyed, Chrysler can write them off at full retail value.

This is 'Marketing 101' . Chrysler is creating a buzz vis-a-vis this "Search & Destroy" programme ... college boy nonsense .

I hope that these historical vehicles end up "missing" until the Statute of Limitations expires ;)

Edited by 1972coronet

This is 'Marketing 101' . Chrysler is creating a buzz vis-a-vis this "Search & Destroy" programme ... college boy nonsense .

I hope that these historical vehicles end up "missing" until the Statute of Limitations expires ;)

The better Marketing 101 would be to sell the cars at auction and give the money and another car back to the schools. That would be a better Write off also.

This a huge shame that the rare cars will be destroyed . If they do not care why do we? Stuff only rolls down hill because it starts at the top, just another example.

Back in the mid '60s Chrysler crushed most of the Turbine Cars, because they didn't want to pay the import tax on them. Déjà vu allover again.

Once again, another idiotic decision by suits in a corporate office, this time most likely over in Italy.

BTW, not to get too far off on a tangent, but if you take time to locate and read Steve Lehto's excellent book, "Chrysler's Turbine Car: The Rise and Fall of Detroit's Coolest Creation", you'll find that "import tax" wasn't what sent the Turbine Cars to the crusher.

Corporations crushing rare cars, sink holes eating Corvettes....what's this world coming to???

Chevy were going to crush this Wankel engined concept car until someone stepped in at the last minute and it ended up being gifted (engineless) at the say-so of Wayne Cherry to Tom Falconer at Claremont Corvette in the UK who has restored it and got it running with a Mazda Wankel engine. There are countless other such horror stories, not all with happy endings. Makes you wonder.

post-12614-0-87880600-1394194799_thumb.j post-12614-0-87758500-1394202091.jpg

Edited by DonW

I'd like for that to happen as well, but unfortunately the relevant statutes of limitations would only cover the ability of the law to prosecute of the offense of stealing the cars. Even after the statutory expiration, whoever held ownership title at the time the vehicles went "missing" would STILL have legal claim to them. Taking something and hiding it doesn't give the taker any ownership rights, no matter how long you wait.

What idiot decided that donating 500+ hp cars to trade schools would be a good idea in the first place?

Excellent point. Probably another marketing-publicity inspired piece of stupidity.

IF they have,,, a manufacturer can't just magically just wip up another one. Once a vin is assigned to a chassis by federal law that vin a and chassis are now as one.

Not really, not forever necessarily, and not carved in holy stone. There ARE ways to make it work. Of course, I only speak from first hand experience. It might take a little effort on someone's part.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

What idiot decided that donating 500+ hp cars to trade schools would be a good idea in the first place?

What's wrong with trying to build a new generation of engineers and mechanics who can design and work on sophisticated, high-performance cars, and possibly bring those approaches to everyday cars at an affordable price? The technology, as Chrysler noted, has changed since the early Vipers, but many principles remain the same. Race cars and supercars have always been a laboratory for improvements in what we all drive today.

As for trashing the early Vipers, it appears to be a legal thing, and I really don't care if they get scrapped. As also mentioned, Chrysler loaned the cars to the schools and still owned them, and couldn't possibly know what modifications had been made to them. Anyone remember the Porsche turbo case where the company had to pay millions to parents whose teenage child died because the parents let him drive the car? The liability is great.

Edited by sjordan2

What's wrong with trying to build a new generation of engineers and mechanics who can work on sophisticated, high-performance cars, and bring those approaches to everyday cars at an affordable price? The technology, as Chrysler noted, has change since then, but many principles remain the same. Race cars and supercars have always been a laboratory for improvements in what we all drive today.

And who's going to maintain high-tech cars like an Enzo Ferrari when their computers fail? This philosophy needs to continue.

Right!

"And who's going to maintain high-tech cars like an Enzo Ferrari when their computers fail? ."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not many vo-tech grads, that's for sure. I've hired (and FIRED) a bunch, and worked side by side with a bunch more. A lot of them didn't even have a basic understanding of how an internal combustion engine operates. Giving a bunch of chimps Vipers to pound on doesn't make them mechanics....or engineers.

The VAST majority of the tech-school guys I've encountered, even if they WANT to be good, leave school with enough knowledge to let them get jobs where they will eventually LEARN to be mechanics, at best, and at worst, they have enough knowledge to ruin everything they touch.

With all due respect, refitting ANY vehicle to function in the event of computer failure, where the computers are no longer available, is COMPLETELY beyond the scope of most of even the BEST of the mechanics out there.

EDIT: And before I get slammed, let me say I've known a FEW highly motivated, intelligent, curious, talented and diligent vo-tech guys who have become really EXCELLENT mechanics and practical engineers. It's just not the norm.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The better Marketing 101 would be to sell the cars at auction and give the money and another car back to the schools. That would be a better Write off also.

This a huge shame that the rare cars will be destroyed . If they do not care why do we? Stuff only rolls down hill because it starts at the top, just another example.

So true.

I can't help but notice that one of the Vipers in the videos has the motor completely unbolted and just sitting under the hood. Eventually, it just ends up on the ground, next to the car MOSTLY in one piece. This makes me wander if the order was to completely obliterate these cars until nothing is left.

If total annihilation is not the goal of Fiat Chrysler, some of these schools are going to have students that figure out Chrysler is producing parts cars for some sweet pro touring (just the example that came to mind) rides. I mean really think about this. A resourceful kid finds an old Mopar, grabs up the drivetrain and computer from the scraps, does a little side work for some parts, and he/she can get his entire class to chip in labor as a class project. They get to preserve part of the Viper and get an extremely nice car to boot!

As a side note to all this, what's up with the bumper cover on the green and black Viper I was talking about above? That thing wouldn't give way for anything. :blink:

Edited by Skydime

What's wrong with trying to build a new generation of engineers and mechanics who can design and work on sophisticated, high-performance cars, and possibly bring those approaches to everyday cars at an affordable price? The technology, as Chrysler noted, has changed since the early Vipers, but many principles remain the same. Race cars and supercars have always been a laboratory for improvements in what we all drive today.

As for trashing the early Vipers, it appears to be a legal thing, and I really don't care if they get scrapped. As also mentioned, Chrysler loaned the cars to the schools and still owned them, and couldn't possibly know what modifications had been made to them. Anyone remember the Porsche turbo case where the company had to pay millions to parents whose teenage child died because the parents let him drive the car? The liability is great.

Maybe what Rob means is it a big temptation for a joyride in such a powerful car. it would tempt me...