Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is how the Russians recover a car in the ice

Reminded me of the opening scene from Les Mis where the slaves are pulling a ship in by hand. I kept having the song run through my mind watching this.

Remember that these are the folks responsible for getting our astronauts to and from the ISS safely.

Dale

Remember that these are the folks responsible for getting our astronauts to and from the ISS safely.

Um hum...because WE decided that having manned spaceflight launch capability was no longer worthwhile. Much better to spend the bucks on entitlement programs than a space program, I guess.

Sorry...is that too political?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Um hum...because WE decided that having manned spaceflight launch capability was no longer worthwhile. Much better to spend the bucks on entitlement programs than a space program, I guess.

Sorry...is that too political?

Nope, just the facts.

I lived & worked in Russia during the 1990's beginning right after the breakup. They are easily the most resourceful people in the world. They have to be. I don't know about now, but there weren't any Ace Hardwares or Home Depots in Siberia.

Not too many hobby shops either.

I did enjoy the video. Thank you.

P.S. Russia is an ambidextrous country. You can tell where the car was purchased from (or stolen from) by which side the steering wheel is on.

Edited by Burnout

I lived & worked in Russia during the 1990's beginning right after the breakup. >>>>>They are easily the most resourceful people in the world.<<<<< They have to be. I don't know about now, but there weren't any Ace Hardwares or Home Depots in Siberia.

Funny how times change. The rest of the world used to say Americans were "the most resourceful people in the world", and coined phrases like "American ingenuity" and "American know-how" because we, as a people, seemed to be able to do just about anything. Hoover Dam, Moon shots, etc. Now we mostly whine.

There weren't any Ace Hardwares or Home Depots here either, until some American resourcefulness thought it might be a good idea to build them. Apparently, stores like that haven't yet interested the Russians. It's not rocket science.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I lived & worked in Russia during the 1990's beginning right after the breakup. They are easily the most resourceful people in the world. They have to be. I don't know about now, but there weren't any Ace Hardwares or Home Depots in Siberia.

Not too many hobby shops either.

I did enjoy the video. Thank you.

P.S. Russia is an ambidextrous country. You can tell where the car was purchased from (or stolen from) by which side the steering wheel is on.

I think it has to do with getting by with what you have. I have traveled to a few countries and am always amazed by how people make things work when they don't have the retail marketplace we, in America, do. From 6 cylinder car engines used as boat motors (Thailand, and with a rope for throttle, mounted on a completely handmade wooden boat) to motorcycles in Central America pieced together with parts from other motorcycles that aren't supposed to be compatible.

If you don't have a choice, you just do it!

There weren't any Ace Hardwares or Home Depots here either, until some American resourcefulness thought it might be a good idea to build them. Apparently, stores like that haven't yet interested the Russians. It's not rocket science.

True. It's not rocket science. It's business. The Russians are pretty good at rocket science.