Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King '59 Imperial.

Custom Hearse

Anyone have a good idea about a good choice of donor chassis to go underneath this Imperial to get a more detailed chassis with separate suspension pieces? I was wondering about the '59 Plymouth, (Christine), kit, but I'm almost certain the wheelbase would be too short. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

10 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Anyone have a good idea about a good choice of donor chassis to go underneath this Imperial to get a more detailed chassis with separate suspension pieces? I was wondering about the '59 Plymouth, (Christine), kit, but I'm almost certain the wheelbase would be too short. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

AMT's '57 Chrysler 300 from the 1990's maybe your best bet. Wheelbase is different by 3" on the real cars. But, engine and chassis will be much closer than what you would get AMT's Christine Plymouth kit. 

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I think those tailfins need something on them. Maybe shaving off that fake spare tire, or going the other way,  and making it an actual spare tire like on some of the Exner era concept cars?

No need to shave off the fake spare, a.k.a. the toilet seat, on these kits. It's a separate piece, and an option on the Imperial Crown models in '59. 

Sorry to be such an anorak, but contrary to popular folklore, Kelsey Hayes was never a supplier to Chrysler Corporation.
The wire wheels used from the late 40s to 1966 on various Mopars were made by a company called Motor Wheel.
The 'lesser' divisions shared the wheels used, but the ones for the Imperials were always bespoke (pun intended).

6 hours ago, twotonegmc said:

Any sources for the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels that are sometimes seen on these? 

The Moebius '55/'56 Chryslers have nice ones, provided that you use some better tires than what are supplied in the kits.

I used a set of the Moebius wheels with some AMT Firestone Deluxe tires on my '60 Imperial.

Steve

2v2EuhjYFxwUbWP.jpg

On 3.3.2019 at 6:39 PM, unclescott58 said:

AMT's '57 Chrysler 300 from the 1990's maybe your best bet. Wheelbase is different by 3" on the real cars. But, engine and chassis will be much closer than what you would get AMT's Christine Plymouth kit. 

The chassis and gearbox could work, although the Imperials had their own chassis, not a stretched version of Chrysler's.

1959%20Imperial-25.jpg

However, '59 Imperials didn't have Hemis.

1959%20Imperial-24.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Christian, your pics aren't showing (at least on my end) but the Imperials did have basically the same frame rail setup as the shorter Chryslers. One difference for 1957-'58 is that there was an X member in the chassis for all models. '59's they eliminated this no matter if it was a hardtop or sedan. 

If you're showing shop manual pics, those can be deceiving. A lot of the time car makers may use the same pics to carryover from one year to the next.

On 2019-03-03 at 2:24 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I think those tailfins need something on them. Maybe shaving off that fake spare tire, or going the other way,  and making it an actual spare tire like on some of the Exner era concept cars?

Nice suggestions, Richard. Lights have been added to the fins, and the toilet seat has been flushed away.

59_chrysler_imperial_before_after_02.jpg.65d76c55bc97cb8cce07af6a04d46ce7.jpg

Anyone want me to take a crack at adding a full spare?

On 2019-03-05 at 11:31 AM, MrObsessive said:

...I'd extend the taillights all the way to the tops of the fins...

On 2019-03-06 at 2:43 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I was thinking of frenching in a set of the custom taillight lenses from the old AMT '57 Chevy.

5c7f79f168cc1_57chevytaillights-01.jpg.57a9e8ea949c0b24b2ade76f36de0ce3.jpg

Two nice ideas; here's a hybrid of both:

59_chrysler_imperial_before_after_03.jpg.ab73f481da7ed265ce1a8e4e6deddcd8.jpg

On 2019-03-05 at 11:59 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

My inclination would be to lean the original lights, and maybe get rid of the chrome rings if you want to clean things up.

Very nice suggestion, Richard:

59_chrysler_imperial_before_after_04.jpg.212c2a0b4d912d3385d47ab8676ebe33.jpg

On 3/3/2019 at 11:46 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The Moebius '55/'56 Chryslers have nice ones, provided that you use some better tires than what are supplied in the kits.

I used a set of the Moebius wheels with some AMT Firestone Deluxe tires on my '60 Imperial.

Steve

2v2EuhjYFxwUbWP.jpg

Those look great...added bonus is that I want one of those Moebius Chrsylers anyways! Thanks!

Just found this on Casey's Model kit instruction site.

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/984/smp-1959-imperial-convertible?page=1&scrollTo=1009

How many of the optional parts listed for the SMP kit, have survived to the Model King (and now Round2) Imperial? Does it still offer both the Rear Deck and Continental Spares?

I just opened a Model King '59 Imp and looked thru it a few days ago, thinking about starting Incomplete Project Number 5,215.

All the original parts were still in the MK version, including the rear deck "toilet seat" and the full Continental Kit. 

The instructions are even a direct copy/re-print of the original from 1959. With customizing tips and the part about using blocks of wood to support the tires while you hammer in the wheels.  That was a real trip down Memory Lane...

Can't speak to the latest Round 2 re-issue, I don't have it.  I stocked up on the MK re-issue and don't need any more.  I did recently get the Time Machine Resins convertible up-top for this kit, with plans of building a junker or barn find. 

Edited by Mike999
omit