Model Cars Magazine Forum

NoVette

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I did a little more work on the plenum, a finned cover, some 1/2 round along the edges to simulate where it would bolt together, a square block is the start of the throttle body and the snout is a 1/8" tube that I crushed at one end to make an oval out of it. The 1/16 rod sticking out is to mount the intake tubing.

I also started filling in the top of the frame rails, and added to the motor mounts to give the engine more clearance as the stock location had the back fo the block right up against the firewall. I also pinned the trans under the frame so it will sit solidly while I work on it.

P3120497Medium_zps51ff8904.jpg

Rather than make my own front suspension this time, I decided to modify the kit frame to get the front lower. Using a circular saw blade in the Dremel I cut the front crossmember and upper A-arms off. I then cut about half of the lower part of the frame rails out. I then added some scrap styrene to the top of the frame rails.

P3150513Medium_zps60264c2f.jpg

I also started on the intercooler which you can see in this pic.

P3150514Medium_zps40a385fa.jpg

I am really enjoying watch this build evolve.I hope you will be able to maintain the stance shown in the initial set together.I might also offer an alternative material choice for the complicated plumbing you are creating.Try aluminum welding wire.The diameter is about right for what you are doing.I got mine from a friend here in town that does a lot of that type of work.It is very malleable,can be adjusted easily and polished to look like chrome with any polishing compound.I use super glue for attaching the stuff.Overall a great looking project that scores very high in the"gotcha factor"scale.Kind of grabs you by the eyeballs and won't let go!

I set the tools of destruction to the back half of the frame. This is what was left when I got done.

P3170518Medium_zps5a52f33f.jpg

P3170519Medium_zpse4a37e82.jpg

And this why I cut it up, I stole the rear from an MPC 87 Corvette.

P3170520Medium_zpsb99ac6bd.jpg

I might have to cut the back half off and add to it, I think it's about an 1/8" too low and doesn't allow the rear to tuck up enough.

I think i have the rear positioned correctly. It went from to "high to low and back again" more than once to get the ride height where I wanted it.

P3180530Medium_zpsc157bd7d.jpg

Once the rear was set, it was time to get the front crosmember with the spring pockets back into position. I set the frame in the interior tub, the tub in the body and marked the frame.

P3180528Medium_zps44222412.jpg

Here's the frame as she sits right now.

P3180531Medium_zpsb4244624.jpg