Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevelle wagon

unclescott58

Here's a quick build of kit that's been in waiting for awhile. Built box stock. Nothing added other than paint and correct to scale 1965 MN license plates. This the way I like to build my kits. Simple, almost promo like. No chrome foil. No wired engines (unlike a promo, it does have the engine in it though). No back washed grilles. So I'm sure some of you are going to feel it's not finished. But it is. And I'm happy with it as is.

post-10661-0-19140800-1403552685_thumb.j

post-10661-0-77844300-1403552711_thumb.j

post-10661-0-78230200-1403552737_thumb.j

post-10661-0-83178200-1403552760_thumb.j

post-10661-0-57199100-1403552789_thumb.j

Fun and easy kit to build. Everything fits well over all. Detail is lacking compared to modern kits. Especially in chassis detail. There everything is molded in. Typical of kits of the day. I don't mind, I rarely flip my models over to admire the chassis once I'm done with a kit. There might be a lot to criticize in this kit and the way I built it. But again, I like the way it turned out.

Now I need to dig out its companion. AMT's '65 El Camino. I'm debating on whether to do it to look like the wagon? Or do I go with some other color scheme?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

That's a nice, clean, uncluttered and simple build indeed! I think that while appreciating and striving for the next level towards that elusive, perfect build, thatthere is a definite place in the hobby for the more simple things. Someone and I recently have been discussing how not everyone has the finances, tools, and experience developed skill and know how to do some of the things seen on this forum and this is an example of how nice a more simplistic approach to a build can be. It's nice to expand and grow as a builder and I do not think that any of us ever "peaks" with our abilities - we just keep developing them based on the love and devotion that we put into every model that we do.

Congratulations on a nice build and like my friend's builds, yours shows that it can be fun to build something nice even if you happen to be on a budget as long as you do your best. I know that he always does, as it appears that you do and my hat is off to the both of you. :):)

That's a nice, clean, uncluttered and simple build indeed! I think that while appreciating and striving for the next level towards that elusive, perfect build, thatthere is a definite place in the hobby for the more simple things. Someone and I recently have been discussing how not everyone has the finances, tools, and experience developed skill and know how to do some of the things seen on this forum and this is an example of how nice a more simplistic approach to a build can be. It's nice to expand and grow as a builder and I do not think that any of us ever "peaks" with our abilities - we just keep developing them based on the love and devotion that we put into every model that we do.

Congratulations on a nice build and like my friend's builds, yours shows that it can be fun to build something nice even if you happen to be on a budget as long as you do your best. I know that he always does, as it appears that you do and my hat is off to the both of you. :):)

Gary you hit the nail on the head. My biggest problem is the more detail I try putting in, the more there is a chance of screwing things up. And using chrome foil, I just don't have the patients for doing the minutia work required for that. But, I love building models cars. And I'm quite pleased when they turn out as well as my Chevelle above did.

Thanks to all you guys for the kind compliments above. Sometimes it's a little intimidating putting my kits up against those who love doing the little detailed things. I can appreciate the detailed work of others. I'm just not interested in going that far with my models.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Nothing wrong with building them like this Scott. I sort of run the gammit with my builds. Sometimes I like to go into some more detail, other times not. Depends on the kit & my mood. Although, I have to say, as I've progressed in this hobby, the finer detailing has become my favorite part of the build. Not so much chassis & engine, but painting, foiling, that sort of thing. Some guys like to completely "blow them up", others want to keep them as simple as possible. If we all built them the same, this hobby would get pretty boring. :) Good Job!! Steve

I like your build..I like the box-stock thing..I can paint and foil(not bad) but don't have the patience for wiring or plumbing and scratchbuilding..I can do body work and wet sand and polish and paint. Paint Tamiya Smoke in the grill opening etc but not much for the other..I often wish I could but there would be a lot of plastic on the floor against the wall..Just no patience..Once sat in the model room for 6-7 hours wet sanding and polishing a 70 Chevelle..Turned out real good and had no bad times doing it..A few beers or glasses of Jack helped but it was fun...

Hey UNCLESCOTT 58, sorry to mix up your thread( I don't know how to send you a direct mail)..Where in Minneapolis are you? I travel to Shakopee to see my daughter a few times a year..Maybe we could hook up and talk and look at your models some time....

For some reason I can not send you one-to-one message. You can contact me personally through my email address at: unclescott58@usiwireless.com

Scott