Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Black Widow (?)

Steve_L

This project started with two questions: 1. "What if Ford had built a race car like the Chevy Black Widow?" 2. "What would it look like?"

These are pictures of my 1957 Ford "Black Widow" that was built for the 2007 ACME Southern Nationals NNL. I combined a 1957 Ford resin kit from ModelHaus and the AMT/Ertl 1957 Ford Plastic kit.

In most respects, I patterened this model after the GM 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide.

The engine and transmission are from the AMT/Ertl plastic kit, but I revised the supercharger case for better realism. I fabricated the carburetor "bonnet," the air cleaner and the air hoses. I used a distributor from Arrowhead Aluminum and fabricated all of the fuel system. The model has most of the Chevy Black Widow "extras" including two shock absorbers per wheel, added chassis crossmembers and reinforced chassis parts. The interior required a lot of additional work to make it resemble that of the Chevy Black Widow.

I used Duplicolor Black and White spray paint for the base coats and Kilz Casual Colors for the clear coat. Chrome trim was handled with Bare Metal Foil.

This was a fun project with few obstacles. Enjoy!

PICT1207-vi.jpg

PICT1208-vi.jpg

PICT1209-vi.jpg

PICT1210-vi.jpg

PICT1211-vi.jpg

PICT1213-vi.jpg

Edited by Steve_L

LOL Steve, everyone's on the same wavelength when they see this model...looks awesome, great with your "real" Black Widow buildups, and...where's that Plymouth to go with it?! :blink:

Steve heard the same thing when he showed the car the first time, I'm pretty sure he's got the Plymouth project coming sometime. Big plus is availability of the Modelhaus Savoy and plenty of cheap '57 Chrysler 300 kits.

Cool idea now is there a Hemi powered "Black Widow" Plymouth in the works to join the fleet :blink:

Actually, Plymouth never got a hemi until the new hemi in '64. The appropriate MoPar would be a Dodge. They had a small block version of the hemi and had some racing success with it in '56. They would've been more successful except for the Chrysler 300's with a bigger hemi! (Hint: Modelhaus offers a '56 Dodge!)

Actually, Plymouth never got a hemi until the new hemi in '64. The appropriate MoPar would be a Dodge. They had a small block version of the hemi and had some racing success with it in '56. They would've been more successful except for the Chrysler 300's with a bigger hemi! (Hint: Modelhaus offers a '56 Dodge!)

the Ford looks sweet! the 1957 Hemi cars would be a Chrysler 300C with its 375hp 392ci Hemi or the 1957 Dodge D500 with its 325ci Hemi or even a 57 Desoto Fireflyte with its 325 Hemi.

Since this would be a "what if" model, lets say that Plymouth got their hands on a handfull of Chrysler, Dodge, or DeSoto Hemi's for this short production run of factory racers and produced just enought to make them legal;)

I love it...the Black Widow theme for the 57 Ford really works

where did you get the supercharger goodies for the engine?

I built a model of the 57 Ford Fireball Roberts ran in NASCAR and had to scrathbuilt all that stuff

here are a couple of pix of model i built...

57fireball01-vi.jpg

57fireball02-vi.jpg

I love it...the Black Widow theme for the 57 Ford really works

where did you get the supercharger goodies for the engine?

I built a model of the 57 Ford Fireball Roberts ran in NASCAR and had to scrathbuilt all that stuff

here are a couple of pix of model i built...

57fireball01-vi.jpg

57fireball02-vi.jpg

Curt,

I added a rib to the supercharger from the kit -- the rest of the setup is scratch built. All of it is from styrene plastic -- I used a candle flame to bend the styrene rods that I used for the hoses. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Curt,

I added a rib to the supercharger from the kit -- the rest of the setup is scratch built. All of it is from styrene plastic -- I used a candle flame to bend the styrene rods that I used for the hoses. :D

Steve,

Great idea, I never would have thought about heating and bending styrene to replicate rubber hoses.

I wrestled with the rubber hoses on this model and was not real pleased with the result

will definitly try this the next time I have to put some major bends in a rubber hose

thanx

curt

Cool ifea and well done model! I would like to see a Black Widow Rambler! ;)

Andy,

These projects are taking on a life of their own... :P I have already ordered a resin 1957 Plymouth Savoy kit from ModelHaus and have also acquired a 1957 Pontiac 2-Door resin kit on EBay.

I think it would be a kick to also build Rambler and Studebaker "Black Widows," too. So far, I have been able to acquire a few reference pictures, but I have no clue where to find 1/25 scale 1957 Rambler and Studebaker kits. Any ideas?

Steve

Edited by Steve_L