Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

Hey Mike, just a little confusion about the PVC valve...........I have a pic here which looks to have the valve on the passenger side. Now granted this isn't the Hi-Po engine, at least it looks like the regular 289.

Copyof0b4f_3-vi.jpg

I'd like to add this before I get everything set in the chassis later on. As you can tell, I'm not a Ford guy-------I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips along the way here guys.

This is great detailed explanation about your progress. It's becoming something like a Tutorial on the go..

Thanks for the compliment Mike!

Yes, that's part of my objective when I do a WIP is to let folks know how I do certain things along the way. ;)

BTW, are you related to a Peter Candelaria in P.R.? I knew him years ago when he lived there, but haven't talked to him in probably 6-7 years.

Hey Mike, just a little confusion about the PVC valve...........I have a pic here which looks to have the valve on the passenger side. Now granted this isn't the Hi-Po engine, at least it looks like the regular 289.

Copyof0b4f_3-vi.jpg

I'd like to add this before I get everything set in the chassis later on. As you can tell, I'm not a Ford guy-------I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips along the way here guys.

sorry for the confusion, I'm too used to later engines where ford added a grommet to the oil filler cap (no matter where it was).

based on the photos (both you and I) linked, the PCV goes into a grommet in the passenger side valve cover and connects to a large port on the rear of the carb (or spacer) under the rear fuel bowl.

sorry for the confusion, I'm too used to later engines where ford added a grommet to the oil filler cap (no matter where it was).

based on the photos (both you and I) linked, the PCV goes into a grommet in the passenger side valve cover and connects to a large port on the rear of the carb (or spacer) under the rear fuel bowl.

OK, thanks for clearing that up Mike! I'll see if I can put that on there.

Beautiful! I would swap air cleaners for the one in the revell gt350. Much closer than the one in this kit

I have some spares from junk kits-----but the problem may be the scale differences. If you're talking about the 1/24 scale kit, I'm afraid it'll be too big as the one I'm using currently was a tight fit as it is. My curiosity is up though, and I'm going to dig around to see if that might work.

Last I bought, Mike, was at Ace. But it lasts so long, things may have changed. I haven't looked lately.

Hey, Bill. Looks great! I've used "report cover" plastic for windows. The coloring is in the plastic, not painted or coated on, so they work well and scratches aren't fatal.

You can sometimes find them in various hues at office supply stores, but most commonly "smoke" is the hue you'll find at variety, discount, or dollar stores.

I know this was posted way earlier, but I'm just now getting up to speed. I wanted to add that I saved some report cover acetate from about 6 years ago and it has yellowed substantially.

I know this was posted way earlier, but I'm just now getting up to speed. I wanted to add that I saved some report cover acetate from about 6 years ago and it has yellowed substantially.

Skip, years ago that's the very kind of acetate that I used on my '64 GTO WIP. That was around 2003-04 and, unfortunately the windows have indeed warped, but they haven't yellowed much. The warpage though is what kills me in that if I want to try and redo this (it was already painted), I'll have to take the whole thing apart, pop out the windows, then start over. :(

Gotta get me some of those "brass bolts" . You don't remember the size you say?

Jeff, if you check here, this is the site where I get those bolts and rivets. They are a little pricey, but to me well worth it especially when I need something sturdy to pin parts and, have some detail to go with it. I buy pretty much the smallest size they have for things 1/24-25.

I also have a bunch of Grandt Line HO bolts.........but I seldom use those as they can be a bit flimsy for what I need as they are plastic.

If I recall, Skip, at the time we were discussing tinted windows and the report covers I was referring to were the tinted or colored ones, not the clear ones. I haven't used clear report covers, but I wouldn't dispute that they might yellow. Fortunately, with 'smoke,' yellowing doesn't show.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

Nothing really picture worthy as of yet.........I did get the chassis painted with red oxide primer and, some black overspray on the floor. Engine's all done and, at the moment I'm forming brake and fuel lines------also trying to cobble together an emergency brake cable system to put in also.

Maybe (if there's time and I'm up to it), I can post pics over the weekend. I have to travel out of town tomorrow, and won't really be doing much more with it till probably Sunday.

OK, sorry for the long pauses between updates------as I mentioned, a period of weeks can go by before I can get enough material together to make posting something worth my while. I like to show you folks more than just a couple pics.....at least when it comes to updates. Also, if you see certain pics that aren't showing up, you can blame Fotki for that as it seems as though they've got indigestion again.

Finally! The engine's all done! Except for a few details that can wait until I'm about to put the engine in the chassis, for all intents and purposes it's all done!

Here are some pics...............

P9285306-vi.jpg

P9285307-vi.jpg

The air cleaner I'll use out of kit--------the paper element is some printed paper that I originally had made for a trunk mat for a stillborn '55 Ford Victoria build. I just cut the decal thin enough to wrap around the air cleaner, and used some Elmer's glue to attach. Is every little nook and cranny, angle and such, just like the 1:1? Probably not, but engine bays just simply look better when things are dressed up a bit. ;)

P9285310-vi.jpg

P9285311-vi.jpg

Something was still bugging me about the fit of those pillar vents, so I decided to add some .005" plastic shims to the upper part of opening, and tried to tighten things up a scooch.

P9215298-vi.jpg

P9215299-vi.jpg

OK, that looks better! I"ll have to account for paint later on, so I don't want these too tight that paint will get scratched/chipped.

P9285304-vi.jpg

P9285305-vi.jpg

Alright, I've GOT to do some surgery to the chassis! I didn't like the way the gas tank was molded, so I cut it away and decided to refashion the area that it would sit on. Gas tanks don't necessarily sit on "boxes", so I wanted to get rid of that look.

P9085289-vi.jpg

The tank got rather mangled up when it was cut away, so I added some plastic back to it to replace some of the original contours.

P9085290-vi.jpg

Stay tuned, there'll be more!

Now here's the tank all cleaned up with those contours redone...................

P9105291-vi.jpg

Here's the tank section redid in some sheet plastic and square rod.

P9115294-vi.jpg

And now how the tank should look when it's glued back in the chassis after painting. BTW, I've found that cutting the tank away does make for easier painting------it's one of the reasons I did this besides wanting to reshape that particular area of the chassis.

P9115295-vi.jpg

OK, the chassis was painted Rustoleum Red Oxide Primer (this was a staple Ford color in the '60's) and the sides and part of the front frame rails were airbrushed gloss black to represent the factory overspray.

You can see that I've added a brake and fuel line so far with brackets to hang them on.

P9245300-vi.jpg

P9285303-vi.jpg

After the gas tank is painted and glued in, I'll make a simulated rubber hose out of some wire insulation, and run the excess wire inside the tank. Not sure if I'll add the sending unit wires......... ;)

In fact, I'll have to do all of this before I can put in the exhaust, and rear suspension.

P9285301-vi.jpg

Well, that's it for the time being. I'm going to try (can't promise though) to do another update by next Sunday. I'll be way out of town come the 8th through the 18th next month so there won't be any building till after I get back home, which may not be for a few days after I'm home and settled. Just the same, the next update probably won't be until the near the end of next month.

Hopefully by that time the chassis is all done (should be), and then it's on to the interior, then finally body painting after a few tweaks to the front end to accept the PE grille.

Thanks for following along!