Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

Bill,

I enjoy watching you built your models.Theres nothing like watching a master as yourself at work.I miss you seeing at the NNL East.I still remember your Corvette and your Impala.The last time i seen you at the NNL East was when you had your 64 GTO with working windows and Convertible Top frame that moves up and down.

Edited by Johnny1973

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a slow couple weeks for me building wise for me. Between work (10+ hour days) and just life getting in the way, some days it's hard to just have an hour or two just to build.

Anyway, much of the past time has been spent working on the engine------namely the carburetor. As I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted something more that just that plain looking block of carb sitting on top of the engine. While it's true that there will be an air cleaner covering up the engine, there's something to be said for that "gotcha factor" when the air cleaner is off and, one can see a fairly detailed carb sitting there on the engine.

So here's where I've got so far with all of this..............

I cobbled together the small tower for the choked plate (non functioning of course), and this was done by simply cutting out some brass plate, making a semi-circle and soldering it. I did flow some epoxy around the tower somewhat to fill in the empty spaces.

P7275251-vi.jpg

p7305252-vi.jpg

Here's the choke itself--------using some very tiny rivets from Scale Hardware, I made a support for the choke barrel.

P7305253-vi.jpg

Here you see it now attached to the side of the carb.............

P8035257-vi.jpg

Here is pretty much the completed carb sitting on my finger. I added some HO scale Grandt Line plastic bolts to spruce up the looks a bit, and drilled some holes for the vacuum advance and fuel line.

You can also see part of the PE throttle linkage bracket attached. I want to also add the four brass studs that are present on the 1:1 carb. I have to test fit this in the engine bay all the while to ensure that the hood will close once the air cleaner is on.

P8105263-vi.jpg

p8105262-vi.jpg

OK, this engine needs some pulleys for the belts! I cut away the way too thick belts from the pulleys and started to carve a groove.
This was relatively easy as the pulleys are rather thick, and with a "V" file, I was able to carve the grooves in three of the pulleys.

P8075261-vi.jpg

All done-----just a matter of attaching them and painting them up. You can see the size of them relative to the real penny.

P8105264-vi.jpg

Now I have PE alternator brackets attached..........the hassle is getting the alternator attached to it!

P8115265-vi.jpg

That's pretty much it for now! Hopefully for a little bit this evening I can get some more done. With being gone from home 12 or so hours at a clip--------those of you who have to work long hours can relate. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes to get it all done.. ;)

Thanks for tuning in!

289 hi po had a dual point with no vac advance

Hmmm, that's interesting!

I had made a vacuum advance unit but haven't yet attached it. Now a couple questions I have------was the HiPo engine standard in GT's? Would that be for all HiPo 1965-'67 289's? One of the engine pics posted on another page is a HiPo engine but it has the vacuum advance.

Of course lots of things could be done to a "restored" car...........but I need to hear from you Mustang guys what was what. :unsure:

Edited by MrObsessive

The HiPo engine was used in modified form by Carroll Shelby for the 1965-1967 Shelby GT350, raising rated power to 306 hp (228 kW) at 6,000 rpm.

Other than that I assume it was an option, for other models in those years.

I got the info above from wiki. By reading that I would assume that it was put in every 65-67 gt350's unless there was an option to get a different motor.

The gt got the A code 289 4 barrel standard it was 225 hp and had a regular blue air cleaner/ valve covers. The K code hi- po was 271 hp in the gt it was a solid lifter engine and a dual point non vacuum advance distributor. It came standard with the chrome covers and air cleaner. Shelby got 306hp from tri y headers, intake and a hotter camshaft

It's been a slow couple weeks for me building wise for me. Between work (10+ hour days) and just life getting in the way, some days it's hard to just have an hour or two just to build.

Anyway, much of the past time has been spent working on the engine------namely the carburetor. As I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted something more that just that plain looking block of carb sitting on top of the engine. While it's true that there will be an air cleaner covering up the engine, there's something to be said for that "gotcha factor" when the air cleaner is off and, one can see a fairly detailed carb sitting there on the engine.

So here's where I've got so far with all of this..............

I cobbled together the small tower for the choked plate (non functioning of course), and this was done by simply cutting out some brass plate, making a semi-circle and soldering it. I did flow some epoxy around the tower somewhat to fill in the empty spaces.

P7275251-vi.jpg

p7305252-vi.jpg

Here's the choke itself--------using some very tiny rivets from Scale Hardware, I made a support for the choke barrel.

P7305253-vi.jpg

Here you see it now attached to the side of the carb.............

P8035257-vi.jpg

Here is pretty much the completed carb sitting on my finger. I added some HO scale Grandt Line plastic bolts to spruce up the looks a bit, and drilled some holes for the vacuum advance and fuel line.

You can also see part of the PE throttle linkage bracket attached. I want to also add the four brass studs that are present on the 1:1 carb. I have to test fit this in the engine bay all the while to ensure that the hood will close once the air cleaner is on.

P8105263-vi.jpg

p8105262-vi.jpg

OK, this engine needs some pulleys for the belts! I cut away the way too thick belts from the pulleys and started to carve a groove.

This was relatively easy as the pulleys are rather thick, and with a "V" file, I was able to carve the grooves in three of the pulleys.

P8075261-vi.jpg

All done-----just a matter of attaching them and painting them up. You can see the size of them relative to the real penny.

P8105264-vi.jpg

Now I have PE alternator brackets attached..........the hassle is getting the alternator attached to it!

P8115265-vi.jpg

That's pretty much it for now! Hopefully for a little bit this evening I can get some more done. With being gone from home 12 or so hours at a clip--------those of you who have to work long hours can relate. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes to get it all done.. ;)

Thanks for tuning in!

Great work! I just thought that I would point out that the fuel pump should have an cast aluminum upper part with a zinc plated lower part.