Model Cars Magazine Forum

'27 T Highboy Roadster - Completed, Now Showing Under Glass

Bernard Kron

This project continues to offer up the kind of challenges I expect when I tackle a build largely outside the bounds of any one kit. While the core of the model is based on the Altered States resin ’27 T roadster and a Revell ’32 Ford chassis the radically more compact body shell and the early 60’s show car style I’ve chosen to depict demand a constant flow of adaptation and fabrication of various parts. But that was why I chose to do this subject and I’m very much enjoying the process.

The main chassis fabrication is completed and the chassis painted to match the body work. In addition I’ve selected the wheels. They’re chrome reversed rims from the AMT ’51 Chevy hardtop kit. I made a wash using Testors Acryl Ford Engine Blue and isopropyl alcohol and painted the recessed areas to achieve a Barris Kolor Krome look. I will be using the chromed Corvette style steering wheel from the same kit and plan to give the rim the same finish. The tires are from Modelhaus, T120’s at the front and (I think…) T193’s at the rear.

The interior panels are now painted in a two-tone combination of Duplicolor Oxford White with Duplicolor Wimbledon White highlights. The piping is .075” blue insulated hookup wire. The floor is finished in Wimbledon White. I’m still up in the air as to whether I will stick with the tuck ‘n’ roll dash or try something else.

And last but far from least, thanks to the generosity of Bill Engwer (Ace-Garageguy), I have an exact-fit windshield from an AMT ‘27T Touring Car which I have cut down to the lower panel. Thanks so much Bill!

Here are some pics of the progress I’ve made. I also fabricated an exhaust system and installed it. Once I have the suspension pieces sorted out I’ll take some pictures of the completed undercarriage. That’s next up on my list. Final assembly can’t be too far away…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF3261-web_zpsc9ca9c5e.jpg
DSCF3244-web_zpsee3b232e.jpg
DSCF3251-web_zps1c1b0c29.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the interest and kind words.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since an update on this car, so I thought it was time to show some progress shots. When it comes to modeling projects, I follow the 80-20 rule: 80% of the difficulties and flaws come during the last 20% of the build, especially during final assembly. This has been especially true of this one, particularly because so much of it is scratch built or kit-bashed. Therefore, I’m proceeding carefully and slowly to minimize the damage!

The interior is completed and the dashboard and side panels glue in place. I still have some adjusting to do to the side panels so I haven’t glued the seat into place, but the steering wheel, a Corvette-style piece from an AMT ’37 Chevy coupe kit finished in transparent blue wash over chrome, in similar fashion to the wheels, is installed as are the various other bits.

The chassis is completed and the suspension installed. The “donor kit” for the majority of this .project has been a Revell ’32 Ford roadster and most of the suspension is adapted from it. The hairpins were stolen from the recent Stacey David’s Rat Roaster variant. The rear radius rods were shortened to accommodate the shorter chassis, but since the chassis is stock length from the center crossmember forwards no mods were required to the front end components other than removing 3 leaves from the front spring to adjust the stance. The chassis is body color and the floor pan is finished in Duplicolor Oxford White.

The major change has been to the exhaust system The motor sits well back in the frame, and while the fit is near perfect, requiring no adjustments to the fan placement or radiator mounting, the result is that the motor sits nestled back against the recessed firewall, just as it would on a standard Revell Deuce. For this reason I was unable to use the set of side exhaust pipes that Dale Verts had so generously contributed. Instead I pinched a set of block hugger tubular exhausts from a Revell ’57 Chevy Nomad kit and adapted the exhaust system to fit.

Below is a summary photo of the car in the process of assembly. Still to go are installation of the lighting system and front shocks, the windshield, grille shell and wheels. Seemingly straightforward stuff, but this is the point where things can go terribly wrong! Hopefully my next post will ,announce a completed car and that it will be clean and straight.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

assembly-details-web_zps19af789b.jpg

I think this will be the final update for this project. I managed to destroy a photo-etch grill which required ordering a replacement. Fortunately I found one on eBay for a good price and faster shipment than directly from Model Car Garage. It came today and I was able to complete the front and rear details. As mentioned earlier, the grill shell from MCG is the 4” chop version. The headlights and shocks are from the Revell Rat Roaster version of the Deuce kits. The taillights are from the 5-window Revell Deuce with p/e surrounds from Model Car Garage. The 1959 California license plate is homemade with a p/e license plate surround. This leaves only the windshield, front crossbar and coolant hoses to do. Then some final cleanup and on to the “studio” for the ”beauty shots”. Hoping for completion this weekend…

Below are a couple of (somewhat blurry – sorry…) workbench snaps.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF3296-web_zpse7ce6e9a.jpg
DSCF3289-web_zps85601f96.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thank you once again!

The model is now completed. Below is some Photoshop Phun. The basic pics were taken without benefit of a tripod so they’re not real sharp, but with some admittedly heavy handed processing I thought they caught the flavor of the build pretty well. Tomorrow I’ll take more formal presentation photos and post them.

In the meantime thanx to all for following along!
B.

DSCF3299-web_zps272539d5.jpg
DSCF3302-web_zpsd165b9cf.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron