Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1984 Olds 442

wisdonm

If you're not a scale bigot, the Monogram 1/24 Grand Prix stocker is much more accurate, including quarter window shape, trunk profile, rear bumper with rub strips, etc.  Gotta bash it with a Monte SS or Grand National kit.  This generation GP was available with the Chevy small block, so mechanically the Monte would be closer, if you're doing factory stock.

• 2 weeks later...

GM again offered a limited-edition Hurst/Olds - it was the 15th anniversary of the first Hurst/Olds introduced in 1968. The Hurst Lightning Rod floor shifter was introduced in the '83 H/O. For its 15th Anniversary Edition, the '83 H/O came only in black with silver rocker panels. Chrome 15" wheels fitted Goodyear GT tires, and a power bulge hood and rear spoiler gave the car a purposeful look. A modified version of Oldsmobile's 307 CID V8 was installed, along with 3.73 gears and Hurst's radical Lightning Rods shifter. Dual exhausts with rumbling mufflers meant there was no mistaking the H/O for a garden variety Cutlass. A new style "Hurst/Olds" emblem was introduced, and red and silver stripes separated the black and silver paint. Demand for the car was very strong. Originally, 2500 units were scheduled to be produced, but Olds had to up that number to 3001 because of high demand. That may have been a factor in bringing the H/O back for '84. The paint scheme was reversed, with silver being the main body color, and black on the rocker panels. In most respects, the '84 was mechanically identical to the '83. The '84 did get a stronger 8.5" rear end. 3500 units were produced in 1984.

A fully loaded 1984 H/O model tipped the cash register at $19,500 (base price ~$11k)

Read some road-test last night and this thing must have been a fresh breath of air in 83-84. Maby not really fast by today`s standard

but a little bit over 8 seconds to 60mph isn`t bad for that era.  

Tower's never right with dates.   That said, they did say March originally, so maybe this is the revised date. Would shock the hell out of me to see it in April, though, but that is 2nd qtr...  

Actually, they were right with the NASCAR kits, well, the second or third time they updated them:lol:

So, they are right...eventually. 

Charlie Larkin

A clock is always right two times a day, so can Tower

I was just messing with him,  I really have no idea how right or close Tower is with its release dates, but they seem for the most part to be correct with their release dates, but of course, your mileage may vary.

Tower's never right with dates.   That said, they did say March originally, so maybe this is the revised date. Would shock the hell out of me to see it in April, though, but that is 2nd qtr...  

Truer words were never spoken!!!! :lol: When I see the guestimate release date, I add about 3-4 months to that, and it gets me close.....

Edited by bismarck

Truer words were never spoken!!!! :lol: When I see the guestimate release date, I add about 3-4 months to that, and it gets me close.....

If its a kit that I am really interested in, I will just use their email notification when it comes in stock, that way, eliminates having to chase their release dates.

If its a kit that I am really interested in, I will just use their email notification when it comes in stock, that way, eliminates having to chase their release dates.

I've used that feature a few times.  I'm just in a hurry and wired up to get this kit.:P I had a 1:1 Cutlass back in the day, and with a little bit of work, am looking forward to having one on the shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone ask Revell about this kit at NNL West?

I believe it was there , someone posted some new photos of it

Edit, here we go

Photo credit going to Edward Thomas Hoffman( have no idea if he took it, but he posted it)

Edited by martinfan5

That really does look good. They got the body character lines, shape and all that stuff down quite nicely. 

This would not be tough to build a Cutlass Calais out of with what's in the box, you will need to supply a mesh for the grille; some etched screen might work well. A Supreme or Brougham would need some engineering in the interior and grille, but they're quite achievable. 

I hope MCG issues some photo-etch scripts for these; that'll be the icing on the cake. They should include the optional wide lower mouldings and the edge-banding for the landau top, too.

I'm in for 2-3 at least.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

It would be nice if it came with a stock hood to make a more mainstream Cutlass.

The front clip would need to be reworked for a stock look, but that doesn't appear too difficult.

These things were as common as air molecules in my town when I was growing up. I'll be picking one up for sure.

cutlass.jpg

A few more shots from the same show for anyone who likes

It's all so '80s Monogram in look and feel for me, and I'm still a bit conflicted regarding how I should feel about that.:lol: The body looks great, basic details look good, but molded-in everything in the engine compartment is nothing to get excited about in 2016. At least the brake booster and master cylinder aren't melting down the firewall. :)

What's really bugging me is if this type of kit, in terms of design, parts count, breakdown, etc., is what we should now expect from a Level 4 Revell kit. :huh: