Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the one (1) station wagon you'd like to see kitted?

Scott - The irony is that in high school we would've died a thousand deaths being seen in any of the wagons in this thread! It meant that you were driving mommy's car to school, or that you had the cast off mommy car as your first car. It just wasn't cool in 1976!

Fast forward close to 40 years and those wagons are pretty darn cool! :lol:

Well lets see Tom it was 1984 for me and they still were not cool! 30 years this year and I would buy a clean 73 Pinto wagon if I found one. Yes that is what I got to drive the few times I was able to drive to school as a senior. I was made fun of, but they all piled in when we went sledding with the sleds inside the car.

The other wagon that was in our class driven most every day was an AMC Matador that you could fit 15 kids inside on a Mountain Dew run.

Here's my one...77 Ford LTD II Squire...Dad had one, was one of the first cars I drove regularly. Had the 351M, 14 inch wheels, no AC and lovely vinyl and cloth plaid seats! Of course the requisite wood siding! Was a tank!

Boy, I can tell the time period you grew up in Tony. Your dad's LTD II Squire sounds interesting, but a tank? To those of us growing up in the 60's and 70's that's just a nice mid size car. A tank would the full size '77 Country Squire. One of GM's pre '77 B body wagons. Or the '76 and earlier Chrysler Town and Country. The LTD II was a nice size car. But, no tank.

Scott

Andy, For what it's worth I cast a 71-73 Pinto wagon.

Is it a complete kit or do you need a donor? If so, what is the donor? Scott, a tank would be the 70 LTD wagon we had. :D

Charlie....is the '65 880 just a Polara (without the woodgrain sides) or a Custom 880 (with the woodgrain)? If a Custom 880, what color? Sounds really interesting...

You're not the only one who sees the appeal of the Buick Estate Wagons. Street rodding author/contributor Dave Hill, who famously designed the 1/25th scale Phantom '48 Ford Roadster Pickup that was later duplicated in 1/1 scale (right down to the same color), and did one of the first "patina" models with his '83 Mustang GT convertible model featured in SAE, has just picked up his own circa '84 Estate Wagon. It's in great shape and looks superb. He plans a mild lowering and mag wheels....

Best regards///TIM

The wagon I found is indeed an 880, Tim. Very nice car in white with a red interior. I see at a car show there most years.

I've always liked Buicks, they're most of what I've had over the years, although I'm not too fond of the "bubble" B-bodies. While nice cars, they have too many ticks (especially electrical/electonic and flimsy interior materials) for my liking. I know where I can get a decent '89 Electra Estate Wagon for short money. I've toyed with it somewhat seriously, but with all the money I have into my '94, I might as well keep it.

Scott, I'm doing a little research on the '60s now. I'm trying to see if someone has one of the R&R '60 wagons they'd like to trade or sell, as it appears Steve Kohler doesn't have any more.

Charlie Larkin

Any of the 67-69 Chevelle wagons, 67/68 Impala wagons, 78-83 Malibu wagons, 62-64 Galaxie wagon, 68-70 Coronet wagon.

My family owned a 66 Monaco wagon, 71 LTD wagon and a 83 Caprice wagon and they all had woodgrain paneling. I had a 90 Buick Estate wagon back in 2000/01 that my kids referred to as "Woody" because of the woodsides!

I have a couple of resin wagons to build someday along with a couple of 66 Chevelle wagons to finish. Wagons are popular in the 1:1 world, wouldn't be surprised to see some new releases in the coming year or two.

Pssst Mike....

DSC28-vi.jpg

This is either a '53 or '54. This one was cast by Perry's, but I've seen other castings of it. It's just a repop of the original promo. BTW, if you get Hemmings Classic Car, the October issue has a cool article about a collection of four '54 Plymouths that represent all the body styles.

Pssst Mike....

DSC28-vi.jpg

This is either a '53 or '54. This one was cast by Perry's, but I've seen other castings of it. It's just a repop of the original promo. BTW, if you get Hemmings Classic Car, the October issue has a cool article about a collection of four '54 Plymouths that represent all the body styles.

I've never see that one. Looks like a '54 Savoy but would be fairly easy conversion. I have seen other '54 castings that looked pretty rough, but that one looks nice. Thank's for the heads up, Tom.

Here's another close one that was at NNL East 2014 ... labeled as a 1950 PMC acetate promo. Seems promos of Plymouths were made but haven't come across a '53 yet.

NNLEast2014Canon075-vi_zps9d10cb82.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Here's another close one that was at NNL East 2014 ... labeled as a 1950 PMC acetate promo. Seems promos of Plymouths were made but haven't come across a '53 yet.

NNLEast2014Canon075-vi_zps9d10cb82.jpg

I have one of those I bought many years ago at a flea market for $5. Before you get too excited, mine had the roof smashed off of it and is missing the tail gate and back seat, which folds down. Most of the ones I see for sale are missing those parts. Modelhaus does make both the upper and lower tailgate, head lights and back bumper for it. If they made a body, I'd be ordering it. I have thought about building mine as a topless beach buggy with surf boards but that's about 500 projects down my list!

And while this 1950 is about 1/20 scale, that '54 wagon is 1/25 or there abouts..

Edited by Tom Geiger