Model Cars Magazine Forum

New revell snaps

migace

Because kids today want the latest. Not 10+yo police cars, they have eyes, they can tell. Not old R8 or Jeep, or old Raptor.

They DO want new '15 Mustang, '14 Vette, as they know the difference.

Hot Wheels doesn't do castings of old Jeeps, CV's first. They do LaFerrari, Huracan, C7, '15 Mustang. Because the buyers require it.

Sure they sell other stuff, weird castings, older cars, but kids are huge consumers.

2-3yo kids can run apps 1/2 the board can't. Revell etc. (Not just them) forget that when they were kids, they knew lots of cars by name, even if never gazing upon a real one.

These are NOT toys. They're intro level Craftsman style kits. Yes they can be played with. The point is the build. Play just adds to satisfaction. Hopefully some will get hooked and progress. Hopefully they'll sell the good stuff, and the stale stuff will sit.

These are NOT toys. The point is the build. Play just adds to satisfaction.

I disagree. The "play" is the selling point, and you play with toys. I think Revell means to market them that way, otherwise they would never have called them "Build and Play" kits.

From revell.com:

For three generations now, Mustangs have called Americans out onto the open road. Now, this SnapTite® Build & Play kit calls to the youngest of those generations. It's designed to be easy to build and fun to play with. It's the start of a whole new approach to plastic modeling. It's a kit designed to do more than sit on a shelf. It's designed for fun. It's designed to be easy for all ages. It's designed to give a whole new generation of modelers the thrill of having something that they made.

Clearly these are aimed to kids as "toys" and are not meant as "serious" kits for adult builders.

I think maybe you're missing the point. These kits are intended as toys, not "serious" models, and they are certainly not aimed at serious adult modelers. The "Build and Play" series is obviously an attempt by Revell to entice kids into taking up the hobby.

Harry, that was my point LOL! Their quality of the kids' snapper toys is better than any recent kits. The toy end of the deal seems to be

growing stronger than their accurate model kits.

Harry, that was my point LOL! Their quality of the kids' snapper toys is better than any recent kits. The toy end of the deal seems to be

growing stronger than their accurate model kits.

We have seen a total of two new tooled full detail glue kits for Q3/4, I am not counting the Revell Of Germany reboxed kits as new tooled, all the other new tooled kits all are snap kits, or toys pretending to be kits. But none of them are full detailed glue kits.

Revell needs to decided what they want to be, a model kit company, or a unassembled toy company.

Edited by martinfan5

True..the average age of the US model car builder today is...maybe 55? Not many young'uns my age and younger in the hobby... ;)

Right. And all the more reason that Revell, or any right-thinking model manufacturer, would want to appeal to the kids. If not... once we all die off, there's nobody left!

Right. And all the more reason that Revell, or any right-thinking model manufacturer, would want to appeal to the kids. If not... once we all die off, there's nobody left!

I do wonder if Round2, Galaxie Ltd or Moeibus have long term plans, as they seem only focused on the older market...

noun, plural hobbies.
an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as amain occupation:
Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.
Just wondering when the last time anyone here fussing about the merits or lack there of , of these snap kits, had fun building a model? Let it go guys, go build something and have fun!

Just wondering when the last time anyone here fussing about the merits or lack there of , of these snap kits, had fun building a model? Let it go guys, go build something and have fun!

Isn't an online model car discussion board all about... wait for it... discussion?

Obviously we all build models. But we also take the time to talk about them, and that's why we're here.

Your workbench is for building. An online forum is for talking.

I disagree. The "play" is the selling point, and you play with toys. I think Revell means to market them that way, otherwise they would never have called them "Build and Play" kits.

<snip>

Clearly these are aimed to kids as "toys" and are not meant as "serious" kits for adult builders.

Apparently, the discussion isn't about models; it's about toys. Shouldn't this discussion be in Off-Topic?

Harry I think you are getting hung up on the name. If these snap kits are just toys then why make the effort to turn out some pretty high end snap kits. Have you built any of the recent Revell snap kits? They are far better than the toylike snap kits when I was a kid. While they may be called build and play, I think they are looking at diecast collectors as well as kids, simple kits that an adult can put together and display on their shelf, buy for their child as a toy, and an entry level kit to bring people into the hobby.

The majority of "recent" (like the last 20 years) police car kits are snap kits because a lot of police car modelers just want something to put decals on. They will buy blank diecast police cars by the case. The police car modelers you see on forums like this one are typically modelers who like to build police cars, so they take more time , modify the kits, add detail etc. They are not usually the guys who churn out dozens of models on commission, those are the guys model makers want to lure away from diecast and into plastic.

A good quality, simple to assemble snap kit works for the serious modeler who will work with what they can get, the assembly line police car builder who just wants something quick and cheap, and kids.

That Revell would miss the mark on this that badly on the Crown Vic is mind boggling.

Edited by Aaronw

i imported another 6 Lindberg CVs a couple of months ago, shipping was the same price again as i paid for the kits, then the tax once here... When i saw the first images of the Revell CV i was shocked and disappointed...totally Even if it did mean they were sold in Europe. Lindberg never did get the CV or Charger sent over thinking no interest...i got that from the head man

I might buy one, but not bothered, unless it has the front door scuff strip removed.

I would have bought 10 at least of the later CV.

You all seem to forget that lots of the kits would have to be good sellers around the world and not just in the US.....and i think the CV fails bad.

Who bought more of the 05 Impala? kids or cop car fans? i bought 2 (and cost a lot more here than in the US). in the old snap tite box with stickers, they now have it in a diff box with decals instead but a lot more money......i will get another 1 or 2 cheaper boxes. I bought the SUV cop they did, only one. Mainly as the wheels etc are not correct.

Harry I think you are getting hung up on the name. If these snap kits are just toys then why make the effort to turn out some pretty high end snap kits.

Not all of their snap kits are marketed as "Build and Play," only a few are. And those few are clearly being marketed as toys.

Do you know something no one else seems to know? Spill the beans.

No need to be snarky, Frank...

And if that doesn't speak for itself, I don't know what does.

As for the angle of "How can all the Revell-haters possibly have enough rapport with them to get the word straight from the source?" - what, there's NO WAY the "haters" might have heard it passed on by someone less inimical to Revell, who's contacted them directly? There's NO WAY even a harsher critic could introduce himself to Ed Sexton at a show and ask?

I emphatically disagree with what Frank had to say to Tim Boyd, but the reactionary belligerence in some of his posts has an impetus I understand perfectly, and I'm often the barest scrape from fully engaging in it myself.

Now, there's a certain logic right there in Revell's flyer for anyone with eyes to see: two separate lines, one at the top called "SnapTite Build & Play", and one simply called "SnapTite".

Based on widely exposed precedent, the "SnapTite" line looks like the one hewing closest to the traditional unassembled promo, in the mode of the Ferrari Enzo and the '10 Mustang convertible, with some chassis plate detail and a parts count in the 30s - 40s. The possibility of shared tooling between the "SnapTite" C7 and its simplified glue counterpart may support this. The 2015 Mustang represents a drop in parts count to the 10s-20s, with an emphasis on simplicity and robustness, and it's documented as the one to kick off "Build & Play".

Lindberg's Crown Vic is notably more complex than the '15 Mustang and far more consistent with the "SnapTite" line than it is with "Build & Play". It wouldn't fit the objective of the "Build & Play" line even if Revell were in the habit of leasing Lindberg tooling - which, unless I've missed something, they haven't done yet. In fact, has any Round2 property shared tooling under the Revell banner since the Revell/AMT kits from the '50s? Honest question, and I'll thank anyone for even the obscurest answer.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding served. But I'm betting yet another rake handle's gonna fly right up with an almighty *whack* when Revell's new, non-Lindberg CV drops. I'd put 10 to 1 on it.

And frankly, it sounds to me like one of the most ridiculous things they could have chosen to do. I'll be very interested in seeing if sales prove Revell understands something we just don't on this one.

I kinda see the logic (but then again I am a corporate stooge...) Round2 is making a big marketing push that all Lindberg kits are made in the USA. The Lindberg Crown Vic is a J Lloyd-era kit made in China, which would lead me to believe that it is going away (or possibly sold off), leaving a hole in the market. Revell will be able to circulate their kit to a far wider market than Lindberg had or will have under Round2. As I mentioned before either in this thread or another, Revell chose this subject because they could have it out in time for this Christmas, when other subjects would have taken more time. It is a rush job to create new product for a new line that the new leadership at Revell wants on the shelves by Christmas. And take it from somebody inside the industry, snap kits sell big-time around Christmas, I'd say probably 80% of sales of snappers occur during the holiday season. And I seriously doubt that very many of those sales are to the membership of the MCM forum...

So, in summary - Get a kit onto shelves in time for this year's Christmas season putting $$$ into pockets and making Revell happy. Those $$$ may end up being used to fund new tooling that makes the serious modelers happy. It won't flop, I'll guarantee your that. 1/25th snap kits don't flop. Ever.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Well, Round2 still has 'em in the Lindberg 2013 listings, but who knows - setting aside the friend who has contacted Revell and found out that their new tooling covers the same basic car as Lindberg did but in a more simplified fashion - I suppose the fact that Revell's never run any MPC or Hawk or Lindberg molds, far as I can tell, doesn't automatically mean they never will. But based on the apparent strategy in the flyer, it would have made more sense to put that in the SnapTite line than in Build & Play.

I'll have one, and I'm certainly not pulling for it to bomb - if it meets with holiday success, fantastic. I just wonder if it occurs to anybody that the Mustang was a hit not just because it was simple, but also maybe because it's the only game in town for an interesting car that hasn't hit the market yet. That's the first time in an age Revell has pulled such a coup, and maybe there's a little timing lesson in it as well.

But whatever. I'll be very curious how the CV moves, and most particularly, how successful it is relative to the Mustang and the other Build & Play cars.

Revell will be able to circulate their kit to a far wider market than Lindberg had or will have under Round2.

I can certainly agree there - Revell seems to have a bigger presence in "big-box" type retail stores like Kmart and Meijer than Round 2. It has been ages since I've seen a Round-2 brand or Lindberg kit in such a store, but the few big retail outlets which still sell model kits seem to carry Revell kits exclusively. Now factor in the selection at dedicated hobby shops (both chains and "mom and pop" establishments) and online retailers and the numbers might even out, but I think given the audience Revell is going after with these releases, having them available in places such as Kmart would be a huge advantage.

So a snap kit has 30-40 parts, but old annuals (for example 59 Galaxie convertible) had barely 25, and new "Build and Play" have 10-20 and are only toys?

But annuals and non-snapkits are/were sold in toy departments, so using narrow logic of it's only a TOY, then many kits are toys?

Also, if it's a toy car, it gets yanked out of the package and is playworthy. See Hotwheels, Pixar Cars, et al. Powerwheels require assembly but are rideable. Diecast cars from CMC, the Mints have hundreds of pieces, but they're already built, so guess they'd be toys?

Since the 15 Mustang and 14 Vette are the 2 newest tools, have few pieces, no dispute over origins or concept, but aren't assembled, doesn't make them a box of parts, not play ready?

What possibly could convert a box of parts into a toy? Hmmmmmm. Maybe input from end user. Which is called building. Hey, they're labeled Build and Play, what a coincidence. Since it's useless as it comes, it seems the BUILDING is the operative verb. Regardless of parts count. Just like old annuals, and Lindberg snap CV's are also play worthy. Only after building, unless you're one of those slow kids that pushes parts around on the carpet.

So by definitions I've seen in this thread, these things are models, not toys. Hope they sell bejeebus out of them, and do more cars before they hit market or soonafter. Preferably <2 years on market, max. Toss in real decals too, maybe a couple factory custom parts, and we'll have same parts count as an old annual.