Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

And yet he's aginst wagon models. and want's what amounts to a wagon with the back half of the roof cut off?

Though I have disagreed with Mr. Gieger in the past, in the case of station wagons models in that other thread, he never said he was against them, he merely laid out from a business standpoint why the manufacturers don't waste precious tooling dollars on them, in a logical & very well thought out manner. He is also 100% right in that scenario, based on past sale performance of said models over the years. Most of the station wagon models tooled up in the past were annual kits, who's tooling costs had been at least partially paid for by the 1/1 manufactrers via the promos they ordered. In this case Revell, et al, would have to absorb the tooling costs themselves, & the desires of a small but vocal minority of model buyers isn't enough to convince them of the ROI on such a product.

Are you really so obtuse as to fail to grasp the difference?

And why pray tell are you dragging that subject into this thread if for no other reason than to start up another argument?

Well, another kit I guess I won't buy. I thought it was a nice looking kit until all of it's problems were pointed out. But I don't want any kit that has so many issues. I guess I'll wait for the next new kit. :(

This is in NO WAY a challenge, Les; I'm just curious - we're essentially seeing a plain rear bumper that might have better used shortened guards/license plate lights, and maybe some front and rear fender issues carried over from the sedan, or not - nobody's commented on that yet.

I won't even begin to question your entitlement to your feelings about the kit. I'm just wondering if these are the issues you're thinking of, or if there's anything else you caught.

Sadly, I have neither the Time or Ability to correct any of the flaws that others have noted.

I will however be very happy to get one and start building.

Other than bland tires, the Revell kits lately seem well designed and processed in their packaging. I like them.

I like the idea that I can build a Supercharged Police Wagon, right out of the box.

And I have plenty of options for markings in the box as well.

All in all, this kit is shaping up to be a real Winner.

(at least for my tastes)

I hope to get back to the bench in the next day or so. We had a minor family medical emergency. (Everything should be just fine, but it took some 'round the clock watching for a few days.) I will try to do the Del Rio right along with the Pickup. The Del Rio might be done as a mild street machine or surf wagon, as I want to use up some paint and I don't have any '57 Ford colors in the stash. I might use some parts box wheels, and do it without all of the emblems and trim. (I hate the look of decal "chrome" )

I was going to set up some '60s era mags and skinny whitewalls, but I am trying to thin the existing pile of parts before buying new stuff. (Where's the fun in that?) I have a couple of sets of big 'n little mags and radials from Revell's '32 Fords. I also have a set of big and bigger mags from the California wheels issue of the '66 Chevelle wagon. (I don't generally go for the big wheel look , but these aren't as bad as some of the other big rims) I think I would have to tweak the suspension, chassis and wheelwells a lot to fit them correctly. I may still look for some more appropriate wheels and tires in the stash. I was thinking that four of Revell's "Rat rod" wheels and tires may work if I keep the model fairly vintage in style. I'll dig into it and see where I want to go with it.

I want to keep the build fairly straight from the box, as I intend to make this build thread usable as a review of the kit, too. I am actually thinking about building another one of these as a box stock model for possible contest use. This build will be a dry run so I can look for troubles I might have doing a more serious build. I want to see how the kit goes together, and perfect any problems on the practice model. This means, no motor swaps, scratchbuild interiors, chassis upgrades, or the like. I might make some tiny tweaks to the suspension after I am sure that I have sorted out the stock configuration. I know I said I would start it and post it last week, but things got a bit hairy here. I am taking care of somebody 24/7, so I get time to build, just not always when I want it. This kit looks like it will be a fun build, and I am really trying to get back to it.

I would buy a Ranchero too, but I am probably a niche builder too. I would also buy any '58s they released, as long as they were fairly well done.

Well, another kit I guess I won't buy. I thought it was a nice looking kit until all of it's problems were pointed out. But I don't want any kit that has so many issues. I guess I'll wait for the next new kit. :(

There you go guys. For those of you who say that your constant bashing of every kit before it even comes out, doesn't do any harm... multiply this by lots of guys who have read the threads but didn't comment.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Suuuure. And it would be soo much better for Revell if he bought the kit without knowing, got disillusioned and figured ALL Revell kits to be jacked in some way, and refused even to allow for the next new kit as he seems willing to do here...

Please, just keep digging.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Well if you're that put off by comments about the Ford...you might want to avoid reading about any kits because, likely as not, there aren't gonna be any perfect ones and people will frequently mention perceived flaws and then you wouldn't wanna buy any new kits.

If you like 57 Fords, you'll like this kit just fine.

Edited by mike 51

Look, for Les to be put off by the handful of minor issues we've discussed about an otherwise really good-looking kit is strictly his business and his prerogative.

What's purest p o p p y c o c k is to try and shill that as a representative attitude for some silent majority of modelers.

It is every bit as scientific to observe that Revell's Offenhauser Midget - did ANYBODY have anything less than glowing to say about that kit? not meee - only lasted three years in their catalog, and that the widely lambasted Kit That Must Not Be Named is now in its third catalog year, and therefore, online website discussions really make no danm difference.

And is that very scientific? Of course not. What about subject choice? What about preorders? What if the correlation between sales success and longevity on the market isn't entirely linear?

But the very number of people 'round here who pile on anyone who notes issues far more serious than bumper guards so strongly mitigates against significant numbers of car modelers as selective as Les, the Midget/LX scenario might as well warrant a research paper by comparison.

Nice decal sheet; I'm not sure how authentic a lot of it is for the police markings, but it looks good, and that's a major start.

I see they're encouraging the green interior. A thought for future kits might be die-cut painting masks in lieu of the pre-colored decals for added flexibility.

I'd like to see a couple of more pictures of the body.

I was at STS yesterday (well, Tuesday afternoon,) and non-PPP shops will be getting them starting June 30. I have mine on order, and should have it before the end of next week, if the ordering plan works as they anticipate.

Chuck- thank you for the kind words.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

There you go guys. For those of you who say that your constant bashing of every kit before it even comes out, doesn't do any harm... multiply this by lots of guys who have read the threads but didn't comment.

i don't think it's fair for you to be the official appointed spokesperson anymore than you think people are laughing at you at shows.

Is pointing out apparent visual flaws really considered bashing? Reason I ask is because I pretty much was the one that pointed out the body issues.

Will it keep me from buying one? No, but it will keep me from buying several.

The only reason that I would cut half the roof off of a Del Rio, is that I know how hard it is to make a correct Ranchero from the current offerings. No way on the AMT '57 Ford and the old Revell Ranchero is too much work to make correct (the roof is wrong, take 2 kits to fix).

If it's like waiting 15 years to get a Revell '66 Impala based on the '65 Impala kit, that's too long for me.

The whole purpose to me is to cut up kits and modify them into cars not available.

Is pointing out apparent visual flaws really considered bashing? Reason I ask is because I pretty much was the one that pointed out the body issues.

Will it keep me from buying one? No, but it will keep me from buying several.

Not by any reasonable standard, Andy.

But then "reasonable" is the key word, isn't it?

I'll be buying several of these.

Frankly, I appreciate Revell doing a longroof version of this car, and even with it's minor shortcomings, it's worth having, building, and modifying to look a little better.

Wagons are few and far between, so if you like 'em, buy one. The more we buy, the more likely it is that somebody will do another one.

:D

I picked up the kit last week, and it comes w/ the supercharger parts.

I'm not a rivet counter or anal accuracy nut, what is exactly "wrong" w/ the kit.

It depends on who you ask...they removed the rear bumper guards witch makes it harder to build it stock is my only issue.

But if you've found nothing "wrong" with it...so be it.

Enjoy it. :) I think it's a very nice kit, (just like the sedan)..and it.looks just like a 57 Ford to me.

Edited by mike 51