Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Piranha Super Spy Car

robertw

I guess saying " That doesn't float my boat, so I ain't gonna buy one." :P Isn't really any different than saying : WOW! Great review Tim and great job AMT / Round2 bring back an old kit in a modern :lol: way.

Just looking at what Tim has shown us, I'm in just to enjoy the new presentation, love the box art and the way they packaged this one. I'd like to see more kits presented this way. :D

DSC_0462-vi.jpg

I will probably be doing the road racer if I get this kit. May need some conversion work, but will be a good kit otherwise.

Same thought here (big surprise, right?). It shouldn't take too much doing - a few parts will have to be sourced and fabricated, but the kit contains the decals for the restored road racer already. Looks like the most challenging issues will be the big scoop on the engine cover and the headers.

Another great review Tim! Looking forward to adding this kit to my collection. My only question now is color paint in Tamiya's spay cans will come close to matching the color of the U.N.C.L.E. car?

Scott

Tamiya TS-58 Light Pearl Blue would be the closest in Tamiya spray. IIRC, the original finish was Nassau Blue, so the colour is available in Testors lacquer.

Tamiya TS-58 Light Pearl Blue would be the closest in Tamiya spray. IIRC, the original finish was Nassau Blue, so the colour is available in Testors lacquer.

Here's what Testor Nassau Blue looks like straight from the can, no clearcoating or polishing. Does this seem to be the right color?

AMT65Chevelle95_zpsc142f27b.jpg

Looks like my LHS just got them in - I'll need to head over there soon!

Was at my LHS today when the UPS man arrived with the weekly shipment of goodies.

So, I got to watch all of the boxes being carefully opened, then grabbed a new Piranha for myself.

Kinda like the proverbial kid-in-a-candy-store. :-)

I ordered one on eBay yesterday. I can't wait. I keep on looking at Tim's review. The only part I'm little worried about is the roof and windshield setup. And putting together the roof and windshield, and getting the gullwing doors to work. It may be a bit of a challenger. The rest of it doesn't look too bad to me.

Scott

it looks like kind of a kool kit, with some kool features, but the problem to me is the same now as in 1966: its just plain butt ugly and smacks of desperate desire to be "European" with design clichés lifted from here there and everywhere, that just succeeds in making it look very awkward and uncomfortable.

appreciate that review Tim, very revealing and it is very impressive that the tooling has apparently remained so pristine after all these years.

jb

I have to agree, it does have that boring / awkward look to it, I see this body as a challenge to try and improve the styling, I really like the gullwing doors, so I'll retain that section & see if I can think of ways to make it a bit more pleasant to view, maybe souping up the engine, and / or having it exposed, changing the roof style, and something more interesting for the front & rear. I'll grab the "non art" ( cheaper version ) .... and as soon as I get these other 4230 projects out of the way; I'll get right on it !! :)

Edited by Krazy Rick

if only it resembled a lotus elan in any other way than those smashed down (on the "spy" car) headlamp covers, perhaps I would be a little more sympathetic. as it is...meh is too meek a word to express my disdain.

jb

Two things, I love the looks of the car, and I received mine in the mail today. Opened it up and looks every bit as good as Tim said and shown it to be. I'm pleased.

Scott

By the way, does anybody out there have any experience building this kit? I'm still curious about how tough it is to assemble the roof, glass, and doors on this kit. That's the only part of the kit that worries me. I have not taken parts out of their bags yet to do a test fit. But, looking at the instructions, this looks like of those things that goes together better on paper than in real life. Is this a kit where getting the working doors to fit is really pain? And the same with mounting the windshield to the header and "A" pillars? Or is it easy, and I'm worrying about nothing?

Again, somebody must have some hands experience with this kit? Is it easy, or hard to build? And are there other other areas to watch out for, that I'm not seeing in the instructions?

Scott

Still waiting to see if anybody knows anything about how to get car assembled successfully?

Scott

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...

The overall assembly is pretty straightforward, it goes together well Scott, don't be afraid of the opening doors; they work fine ....it just takes a little patience. as far as the glass goes, just use white glue & clamp or tape the glass in place & let it dry if you are really hesitant , pick up a good two-way tape, cut small strips & use that instead - no big deal.

Edited by Krazy Rick

The overall assembly is pretty straightforward, it goes together well Scott, don't be afraid of the opening doors; they work fine ....it just takes a little patience. as far as the glass goes, just use white glue & clamp or tape the glass in place & let it dry if you are really hesitant , pick up a good two-way tape, cut small strips & use that instead - no big deal.

Thanks Rick.

Scott

looks like that third one is a different iteration than the first two pics, note the rear view mirror up on a tripod and a change to some less ridiculous tires front and rear. almost looks nice I would say

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Are tires are the same as found in the semi-recently reissued Ohio George '60 Ford Ranchero kit, save for the printing on the sidewalls?

Yes. AMT's compact tires from at least 50 years ago.

No, while they look the same on the outside, the inside diameter is different. I took a look at the tires and wheels on the new Spy Car kit so that I could see if a set of steelies from an original '65 Corvair Corsa I had would fit. No, they were too small. We then took a look at the Ohio George '60 Ranchero for the steelies in it, and while the would fit the tire, the flange on the edge would cover that beautiful Tampo Printed Good Year blue streak lettering.

I would love a set of those tires for a '65 Barracuda I am restoring. I hope that AMT ses fit to do a parts pack with a set of Blue Streaks, Pin Whites, and Red lines, as they will come in handy for several of my restorations with that type of tire.

Looks like the third picture is newer. Also, did the air cleaner change in the third pic?

This version changes my interest in the Piranha I was uninterested, although not unhappy to see it. Now, I NEED this kit. (This is how my stash got so huge) I love the racing version, and I would try to duplicate the look of the first two pics. (Looks like they are from the '60s) That thing is sweet looking, and Corvair powered.

Like most model builders, I am better at buying and dreaming than I am at building... and the stash grows!