Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Piranha Super Spy Car

robertw

Take a look at the dates on the pixs. They range from 2006-2010. One pix has 4 1bls and one has 2 3bls, and some exterior shots show a single round air cleaner, which wouldn't have worked with either carb set up.

Some Corvairs had four carburetors, fed air by an "X" shaped network of tubes that was topped with a single round air cleaner.

Someone tell us about that blue plastic. Is it metallic? Is it suitable for polishing out, or does it have swirl marks and so forth?

Richard....according to John G at Round 2, they added a bit of pearl to the plastic to repicate the color of the real car. The effect is there, but very subtle.

I just checked my kit...there is only one swirl mark, across the upper rear quarter panel on the driver's side.

Hope that helps....TIM

Round 2 AMT Piranha first look

DSC_0494-vi.jpg

I started on one last night, and I can say this one will be a challenge to get it to my standard. It can be done, but this one is not a walk in the park. There is quite a bit of flash all over it, so I have spent a lot of time removing ti, and fitting the doors and hatch, and I cannot accept the swirl in the rear fender, but I love the colot, so I have to paint it anyway. I am not too mad though, as I realize that this is an old tool, and just to have it is a blessing. I want to do the U.N.C.L.E. car, as I am a big fan of the show. There is not a lot of reference material, but I think I have enough to give it a go.

Thanks Tim for all of the info on this one. As a very big fan of air-cooled flat 4 and 6 cylinder engines (Multiple Meyers Manx builds) I am hooked

Being in the UK I've had to order one from the USA, (and I was only there last week!) from Omni Models at I understand a good price (plus the Shipping and customs this end).

With all of the conversation on this thread about the plastic colour, we or more I don't have to paint it blue anyway, but can add my own metalflake coat.

From my perspective, Red Metalic or sunshine yellow would look good. Humbrol here have just issued to me three new 'Pearl' style 'Dual' colours in red, green and purple!

And I'll perhaps use my latest fad of Centreline rims.

I just had to do a comparison between the Drag version and the spy car and I was quite surprised how close they really are. Maybe a combination of the two can yield a more accurate road race version.

The clear body is a bit hard to photograph on the fly

Piranhacomp1_zps38yxg8jp.jpg

Piranhacomp_zpsul3cwv7j.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

Ron, look on page 2. Keyser posted a link to a website that has a page on the actual restored UNCLE car. see post #28.

Thanks Vince!!! I took a look at it, and the various links gave me some more building tips. The kit needs a lot of work to look good. I want to flush mount the windshield and side windows, as well as building jambs for the gull wing doors and trunk lid, so that their fit will be better. The car has a certain allure to me, and I am glad the kit is out.

This may be off the subject , but I wish Round 2 reissue the Piranha drag car. The reissue from a few years ago had the wrong front wheels and did not include all the decals. I just don't understand the thinking behind this. Hopefully Round 2 will do it and do it right . They have done a great job so far, and I'm sure they would do a great job with this one too.

Tamiya TS-58 Light Pearl Blue would be the closest in Tamiya spray. IIRC, the original finish was Nassau Blue, so the colour is available in Testors lacquer.

This was very helpful Ken. Thanks. I wonder what your thoughts are, or others on the closest Tamyia spray (or other lacquer) paint to get the right look on the Pirahna Drag Car? As noted before, I have both models.

Scott