Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1929 Ford Model A Tudor.

Mr.Zombie

Hello again.

James, the grime is a mix of black artists oli paint and very soft pencil ( like 5B) grinded down to powder on a piece of sand paper. You either mix that powder with the paint to get "grease", or, like on the transmission, tap the paint on your element (to get a surface texture) and sprinkle it on while the paint is fresh, then you can either wait, or brush the dust carefully off of or whatever. You can use the graphite powder on a brush to kind of "polish" it into the plastic. There's tons of effects you can achieve. Just experiment.

The project is moving very slowly forward, mostly because of the interior that I have to do, but I'm not in the mood to do... Hate interiors...

That's mine...

7159883247_47039b4e59_c.jpg

The seats were wrong in the kit, or better, they were not the ones I have in my car, therefore I buld them out of sculpey, sanded in the texture and glued a piece of very thin styrene rod around the seam... Then æpainted to match my cars design. That's what I ended up with:

15169545234_6d88d8a35e_c.jpg

I drew a shark mouth on the side of my car with chalk, as I wanted to see how it'll look like, on the model I drew it on with a very sharp white crayon...

7438526276_ef61cd2f15_c.jpg

15603671429_5671803287_c.jpg

Here's some more comparsion shots of my car and the current state of the model...

7438524122_1afa8507a4_c.jpg

15604660810_7cfaf82e09_c.jpg

7438524228_7331dc5e87_c.jpg

15789483255_567d8119b4_c.jpg

Ummm... Yea...

7438526736_8419c41b5d_o.jpg

15791055772_23ebd1d2c5_c.jpg

There's still a fair ammount of work to do, especially when I look at the pics, tons of chipping need to be either reduced in size, or changed shape to a more random, and less blooby apperance...

Thank you very much.

I worked on it over the past few days, but haven't got much to show as I mostly corrected the paintjob, painted the exhaust and did other more or less boring things so I could move on. Can't wait till I glue the frame and the body together so I'll be left with plumbing the engine and can concentrate on finishing the paint and less annoying details than the interior.

Here's one pic of the inside of the door though, you can see the 18 scratch pieces doorframe and the window winding mechanism that gies it a bit more realism. You can also see that I need to sand the doorposts yet again... Ohwell...

15632084279_04f17cc2c5_c.jpg

Hello.

One might think not much happened over past days, but I did alot of tideous things.

I managed to connect the fenders and the frame after I painted the insides, and I actually glued the body on aswell.

Unfortunalley there's a tiny gap between the aprons and the body, and it took me not until too late to figure out why, I should have sanded down a tiny bit of the rear kickup! But I didn't, instead I'm left with these gaps that I will fill with pieces of rubberband (you can see that there's a gap only when you look at the model with lightsource behind it), the gaps left between the rear quarters and the fendes will be filled with stretched grey sprue as my car has some rubber seals there like VW bugs.

I almost finished detailing the engine as now everything was together, I connected the coil to the distributor, connected the scratch built tiny condensator, I added a fuel line (might add that modern fuel filter too, at laest I have an Idea how to build it, and I didn't glue it just hooked it in place like on the real thing), almost finished detailing the firewall, needs only a gasket and the VIN Plaque, I hooked up a scratchbuilt choke rod out of a guitar string, two tubes out of injection needles and a spring that I made out of a lenght of a very thin wire wrapped around a drill of the same diameter as the rod.

I made a rod that steers the advanced ignition on the real thing, including it's mount and a tiny spring on the steering collumn, I added a screw on the waterpump, but I think I build it again as it's not making me happy just yet.

I also built that rod on the starter, it's a piece of a pin sitting in a hole in the firewall with the pinhead serving as the starter button.

My car has only one radiator support, I built that out of a piece of needle or wire that was rusted, it just adds that much realism to the whole thing.

I also made my own headlights, the only kit items I used were the buckets and the lenses that I drilled out so that I had only the rings left, everything else was scratch built, the support is a piece of wire, the mounts are pieces of tubing with some PE screws, and a piece of thin wire as a cable, done.

There's two things I'm not happy with, and two things that are missing in the engine bay. Once I'm done with those, then there'll be virtually nothing more to add around the engine as everything that the original car features is in place.

These little jobs cost me alot of time, as I'm not very good at scratchbuilding those details. If you think that I shake this car out of my sleeve, then you think wrong. Even a detail like the fuelline that consists only out of 3 pieces took me two tries until it was as thin and delicate as I wanted. The sparkplugs are the fourth literation, the choke rod is I think the fifth or sixth. I built most of these twice as the first version always seems clumsy and too big... By now I added 171 scratchbuild pieces, and I wonder if I'll get it to 200 :)...

15244500464_c6e1ab423f_c.jpg

15866770335_5136bb1761_c.jpg

Here are some pics of the whole thing.

What it needs still is the steering wheel including the levers for throttle and ignition, a minus cable to the battery, VIN plaque, radiator and gas caps, rear light, rearview mirror, passenger door glass, and some other tiny bits and pieces. Then I can actually concentrate on correcting the paint and then it's hopefully a wrap...

15862985905_741517d75e_c.jpg

15675646890_304eb0bd19_c.jpg

15675645710_4bbe30436a_c.jpg

15862982745_0a44633833_c.jpg

15243329183_61e04f8d04_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

The oily grime on the engine and trans is amazing, you can almost smell it! The first pic on post #41 really had me guessing, it really could be the 1:1, the manifolds in particular are so lifelike.

You could maybe knock a little bit of the hard shine off the wheels and tires, otherwise this is perfect, jump in, stamp on the starter, crunch it into gear and drive it away! As a matter of interest, the right hand drive models came with a centre throttle pedal, fine while you're concentrating but pretty exciting when you're running out of road after screwing up a down shift. (Ask me how I know)