Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

15 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Using pounce wheels, a lost art indeed.

I see it used by the aircraft guys pretty often.  I haven't needed or wanted to do that just yet but the recommended tool Rivet-R by RB tools with Micromark pounce tool a close second.

6 minutes ago, Keavdog said:

I see it used by the aircraft guys pretty often.  I haven't needed or wanted to do that just yet but the recommended tool Rivet-R by RB tools with Micromark pounce tool a close second.

For years I used a Dremel cutoff saw to match molded-in rivets on aircraft fuselages, where I had to sand down the joint at the centerline. It worked great. Then I lost or misplaced it, and apparently about that time Dremel discontinued it for some reason. Everywhere I've seen Dremel stuff sold since then I've looked for another one, no joy, and none online either. Dremel only has the fiber cutoff wheels now. 

14 minutes ago, Keavdog said:

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

For years I used a Dremel cutoff saw to match molded-in rivets on aircraft fuselages, where I had to sand down the joint at the centerline. It worked great. Then I lost or misplaced it, and apparently about that time Dremel discontinued it for some reason. Everywhere I've seen Dremel stuff sold since then I've looked for another one, no joy, and none online either. Dremel only has the fiber cutoff wheels now. 

I used to make 'em out of watch or clock gears.

I've seen the Rivet-R and one made by Trumpeter too.

Got to get on some aircraft forums and get up to speed.   :D

Got these a while back...a Spacemonkey two-pack of American-made blow-molded styrene (!) 1/24 scale WWII German V2 rockets. Excellent quality for what they are. Kit includes Cartograf decals for four variants, including a captured unit displayed at White Sands, and one representing the Operation Sandy version, the first ballistic missile launch from a ship at sea, the USS Midway, in October  September (oops) of 1947.

http://thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/Space_Weapons_02_V2_Midway.html

TWO PACK! Spacemonkey Models 1/24 scale V-2 rocket plastic ...      Big models, standing almost 2 feet tall; shown below with a 1/25 model for reference.

Scale Model News: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE V-2 ROCKET FROM ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ACCURACY
  • Like 1

Won an auction for the Wright Cyclone 1/12 radial engine kit to build for a buddy of mine that has an aviation background. 27 bucks total cost! I can't wait to present it to him! It's cool to do something different once in a while. It's a sealed Masterpiece Monogram kit. 

Cyclone_01.thumb.jpg.e4a1c24722315343de6953a39d5ca154.jpg

Did you get the Draw decals?  They are continuous film and very thin but fantastic decals.  I have used them several times as he focuses on commercial aircraft.

4mula1fan - that should make a great display.  I have the 1/8 Williams Bros WASP in the stash.  I've seen these engine kits built up into incredible displays

Edited by Keavdog

Found this 1/32 BF-109 pretty cheap on ebay.  
VTaeh1s.jpg?1

I also got this 1/35 rail car 
WJsms38.jpg?1

The BF-109 has been started (engine only) but no big deal, I'm chopping it up to do this (someday)
AXjjTSl.jpg

I hope the scale difference isn't an issue, but if it is I'll see if I can find a 1/35 Border BF-109

Finally, I found this old ESCI nebelwerfer crew for a potential dio with the nebelwerfer I scored
KIbIuTN.jpg?1

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm looking forward to when you start researching the exact shade of blue on that Supermarine. I have a couple Brit magazines from the '70s that have whole multi-page articles on that very subject, but no conclusion reached. :lol:

Yup. That's a problem...but I have one B&W photo of an S6B just after a flight with soot from the exhaust all down the side and paint peeling and blistered from the heat. Not color, but I'll probably just shoot it something like this (supposedly) actual color pic from 1927 of the S5...but with soot and blistering. Close enough for me.   EDIT: Though some sources I've read claim it was a robin's egg or baby blue, more like the Spitfire prototype. Who knows?    :D

Supermarine S.5 / S.6

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a plane guy. Haven't built a plane since junior high school. But it looks like I'm branching out. 

A few years ago, I picked up a Revell 747 and some aftermarket decals to build Iron Maiden's Ed Force One. Still haven't started that one. 

Then we found a box full of plane kits in my late father in law's garage. So I have a handful of planes there.

Then I have my late dad's stash of 50 or so plane kits.

But I've still never been too excited about building planes. 

Having said that, I've always loved the Spitfire. Just such a beautiful and elegant plane, with a fantastic history. 

So when I found a new, unopened 1/24 version for sale, for 1/4 of what they retail for, I couldn't turn it down.

20220208_071956.thumb.jpg.660d3357c4ae040380265d49b009f579.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I picked up my very first RC truck.Last week I went into one of the last hobby shops on LI,and couldn’t believe my eyes.This guys shop is incredible.He must have 100s and 100s of RC trucks and cars,models,train stuff,etc,etc.You can barely walk into the store.He’s got everything piled up on top of something else..I haven’t been there in about 5 years.It’s not a big store,and whenever I go in I always knock into something,🤨😳🙄.Anyway,I saw this K&N pre runner desert RC truck,which just happened to be on sale.It came with everything,and ready to run.So I said what the hell,just buy it.It’s all charged and ready to hit the road…Now I’m gonna go to the vacant dirt lot down the road from my house,with my buddy and his good old Clod Buster Monster RC truck and race around.👍👍👍82C2BC7C-1AC3-43CE-AE63-79904A272400.thumb.jpeg.9d17375e06cedb9454d350c361068dc7.jpeg1198BF9B-36F8-41B7-B6AE-F880F917783D.thumb.jpeg.32affa7a52d035c1406a21ac0aa3d70a.jpeg

BC37E85A-3C9C-4FC5-8C66-52FF7DC93460.jpeg

6368B13B-A49F-4CBB-A27E-DE60E1E19347.jpeg

FEC54843-ECB9-474D-9B90-C6E7E4D6734A.jpeg

8D306882-6456-437F-9107-01601B480E6F.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Heritage" edition of Monogram's 1/12 scale Wright Cyclone: complete in a ratty box, and cheaper than the new Atlantis repop.

I have a love of engines, Porsche flat-opposed and radial aircraft engines in particular.

I bodged one badly as a kid, have a partially completed one in progress, and wanted another one to try some weathering on.

Interestingly, scuttlebutt from a pilot / A&P who logged lotsa hours flying and working on them has it that the kit may represent a NON-aircraft engine (they were used for other things) evidenced by its single magneto, the assumption being that any flying engine would have two.

Hmmmmm...

Monogram 1/12 Wright Cyclone Engine Heritage Edition, 6052

EDIT: One thing I love about modeling is the opportunity it offers to learn more about reality to anyone who's curious.

Turns out there is a "dual magneto" setup for the Wright Cyclone that has two mags in the same housing, driven from a common input shaft/gear.

It offers more compact packaging in a confined nacelle, but the downside is, of course, if the gear/shaft fails, you lose both mags.

Now I know more than I did before.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yessir. Not too many people even know that term anymore, either.  B)

I have a couple I use that were given to me by a lady who does clothing alterations. They were a common sewing basket tool in an age when clothes were still hand sewn. Excellent riveted panels can be made from those really cheap aluminum roasting pans available in dollar stores.

Edited by misterNNL
  • Like 1