Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yah, I believe that one goes back to the '50s and is what they call "box scale"--it was designed so all the sprues fit in a certain size standard box.  (I see now it's 1/77--about right for "box scale.")

Just have FUN with it. 

I figured you knew something about it, Snake man...... It's a very simple kit, there's not even any interior.

Were any of these planes used in any type of competitive sport?

1 minute ago, JollySipper said:

Cool, thanks Bill..... I was just hoping to find a paint scheme or something, besides just painting it aluminum......

One was used for a polar expedition, so you might look into that.

I've read a few were used in military service early in WWII, so that's a possibility, and some were still flying in freight service well into the 1960s, so there might be some interesting company colors.

14 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

...I was just hoping to find a paint scheme or something, besides just painting it aluminum......

Check this one out...cream and burgundy.

https://jakepetersonphoto.com/2015/06/18/the-ford-trimotor/

images.jpg.c53e90886749fa9fcd31963d53d7c55c.jpg

http://cyberplasticmodeler.blogspot.com/2016/11/aircraft-walkaround-vol71-ford-5-at.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I figured you knew something about it, Snake man...... It's a very simple kit, there's not even any interior.

Were any of these planes used in any type of competitive sport?

Not that I know of, but with a kit like this, the idea is to have FUN with it (IMHO, of course). Why not build it as a "phantom" racer? Or simply design a paint job that YOU think would look good on the thing, and have at it. I KNOW you have the skillz to pull it off. ;)

FWIW, I bought the B-25 and B-26 reissues from the same series. I'm going to put ZERO time and worry into the interiors (that's what flat black paint is for) and just have FUN with the old backbirths. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...Why not build it as a "phantom" racer?

Red Bull Trimotor-class pylon racer?  ;)

Or maybe a racing class where every plane is required to carry a cow that has to be milked in flight? Moo-sport class perhaps?

Here's some logos.

Moofly Flying Cow Logo - Logo Cowboy   Pin on Vectors

Illustration. Flying cow. http://www.etsy.com/listing/93527647 ...

Or one used for hauling meat, painted like the Porsche "Pink Pig" and named "Swine Flew" or "When Pigs Fly" or "Miss Piggy"?

Porsche 917/20 Pink Pig: la (breve) historia del Porsche rosa más ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Or maybe a racing class where every plane is required to carry a cow that has to be milked in flight? Moo-sport class perhaps?

Here's some logos.

Or one used for hauling meat, painted like the Porsche "Pink Pig" and named "Swine Flew" or "When Pigs Fly" or "Miss Piggy"?

Those are pretty cool ideas! B)

Another way to go: The Bendix cross-country air race started in 1931, which is in the Trimotor's timeline. Do some research and some imagineering, find a viable sponsor (or make one up), and create an attractive paint scheme that YOU think would look good on the thing. As I've said before, have FUN with it! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_Trophy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:08 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's some logos.

Oooh, one of the very few classic racing Porsches I've seen in person.
I was really shocked by how worn and scruffy it was, far from even a utility car.

2008 release of Monogram's 1/48 scale B-58 Hustler, sexiest machine ever built as far as I'm concerned.

Man, this thing's big. Sure am glad I bought a bunch of Testors metalizers there at the end, and a selection of panel scribers. This old girl looks like she could take one whole winter without adding any upgrades.

Happily for me, there's no shortage of good info on the web about this bird, and plenty of aircraft modelers more skilled than I am to learn and draw inspiration from.

Revell/Monogram Convair B-58 Hustler 1:48 - Scale Modelling Now

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

On 4/24/2023 at 10:42 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

One was used for a polar expedition, so you might look into that.

Bill, man.... I'm just now digging into this kit. There's stuff in the box to build the polar expedition plane......... There's skis for the landing gear, a loaded down sled, a couple/three dogs, and two figures in heavy coats. I'll be doing this one up more like the plane in your link, though........

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:09 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

2008 release of Monogram's 1/48 scale B-58 Hustler, sexiest machine ever built as far as I'm concerned.

Man, this thing's big. Sure am glad I bought a bunch of Testors metalizers there at the end, and a selection of panel scribers. This old girl looks like she could take one whole winter without adding any upgrades.

Happily for me, there's no shortage of good info on the web about this bird, and plenty of aircraft modelers more skilled than I am to learn and draw inspiration from.

I have one of these, a "first issue" from whenever they first came out. It's very unlikely I'll ever build it. 

I also have a "box scale" one from Monogram that dates back to the '50s. That one has a better chance of getting built. 

I also have a Lindberg one from the '50s that I think is 1/64 and has some working features. I have a vague recollection of building that kit when I was somewhere around 5-7 years old. I am actually getting in the mood to do that one. I think I'll build the Lindberg B-17 first, just as a warmup. It's also 1/64. I know exactly how I'm gonna build it, too: Absolutely NO obsessing over either details or paint & markings. I'm gonna Snake-slap it together, sand all the glue joints flush, then hit it with rattlecan flat silver with airbrushed antiglares in whatever Testor is selling as "Flat Olive Drab" this month. Badda-boom, badda-bing, DONE! :lol:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...I also have a "box scale" one from Monogram that dates back to the '50s. That one has a better chance of getting built. 

I had that one in my distant past, had been building models long enough that I actually did an "OK" job on it.

Sacrilege I know, but I'm kinda toying with the idea of doing the big one in black "radar absorbing" paint, a refueling probe, and a few other "what if they were still in service" touches.

The B52 may very well still be flying when it's 100 years old, so why not a few 58s?

Really though, could there be anything more beautiful?

Pin on Aviation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sacrilege I know, but I'm kinda toying with the idea of doing the big one in black "radar absorbing" paint, a refueling probe, and a few other "what if they were still in service" touches.

The B52 may very well still be flying when it's 100 years old, so why not a few 58s?

Really though, could there be anything more beautiful?

I've finally accepted the idea that it's okay to customize model airplanes, just as we do cars. Hey, it's only plastic, and it's YOUR plastic, and it's not rare at all, so why not?

Personally, I wouldn't paint a B-58 black. It would look too much like something Batman would fly to a showdown with a supervillian. I'd go with Gunship Gray (FS 36118) or something close to it. Bonus Tip: Any cheap rattlecan primer in a medium/dark gray would "pass" for Gunship Gray--cheap, quick, and easy. ;)

Bonus Tip #2: A "modernized" B-58 would probably have most or all of the panel lines filled, like the wings of a P-51. So just sand the surface smooth, and don't worry about rescribing the lines. (Well, okay, maybe a few thoughtfully located access panels here and there just to break up the monotony.) 

A B-58 still has about one million tiny wheels and tires to paint, though, always a PITA. Unless you build it gear-up on a "flying" stand...:blink:

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:42 PM, Snake45 said:

I also have a Lindberg one from the '50s that I think is 1/64 and has some working features. I have a vague recollection of building that kit when I was somewhere around 5-7 years old. I am actually getting in the mood to do that one. I think I'll build the Lindberg B-17 first, just as a warmup. It's also 1/64. I know exactly how I'm gonna build it, too: Absolutely NO obsessing over either details or paint & markings. I'm gonna Snake-slap it together, sand all the glue joints flush, then hit it with rattlecan flat silver with airbrushed antiglares in whatever Testor is selling as "Flat Olive Drab" this month. Badda-boom, badda-bing, DONE! :lol:

I was out in the shed yesterday looking for something else entirely that The Lovely Mrs. Snake boxed up and piled up last year while I was in hospital, and I came across the Lindberg B-17 and B-58 kits, so at least I now know where they ARE--which, in the Snakepit, most of the time is at least 80% of the battle. Now I can at least realistically fantasize about actually building one or both of them this year! Yay me! ;):D

On 5/17/2023 at 9:09 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

My first assignment in the Air Force was at Grissom  AFB, formally Bunker Hill, where we had B-58s.  The loudest USAF bird on takeoff with 4 afterburners.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, Gramps46 said:

My first assignment in the Air Force was at Grissom  AFB, formally Bunker Hill, where we had B-58s.  The loudest USAF bird on takeoff with 4 afterburners.

Man, I envy you that one. I've never even been on the same field as one, much less see/hear one take off. Pretty cool, sir.  :D

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Found this multi media kit yesterday for a pretty good price.  This morning I opened it and it turned into a really good price.  There are two complete kits in the box.👍

IMG_2916.jpeg.15cef0ac756af099363f32b75b7457df.jpeg

Great score! Some of those CA kits are REALLY sought today. I'm fortunate enough to own a few. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Great score! Some of those CA kits are REALLY sought today. I'm fortunate enough to own a few. 

I have a few of them too, but I don’t think any are the really sought after ones.  Never built one but they look pretty good.  
I go back and forth between car kits and airplane kits every few years and right now I’m head over heels for cars.  But I still pick up the occasional airplane when I see a good deal.👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...