Model Cars Magazine Forum

Idea for new section in forum

Fart Factory

I know I don't post to much, I admit I never got into it. I rarely go online in general, But I seen a few posts lately regarding people commenting and giving criticism and feedback on people's builds, I know some people like to receive this as it helps you improve, and others don't,

I suggest making a new section in the forums called "Brutal Honesty - Critique Centre"

A forum for constructive criticism, be honest and helpful, Warning! To post your works in here you must be able to handle the criticism.

That way only those who want to be critiqued can post there. Problems solved..? I see this type of section on forums of military and figure painting sites where some can be very nit picky lol

Even with the warning, I'm afraid there'd still be a handful of people who wouldn't "get" the concept of such a section. That being said, I can't say it would be a bad idea. B) Maybe call the section "Tough Love" instead of "Brutal Honesty".

Off topic, but I also want to say that out of all the people I've "met" online, your screen name is my all-time favorite.

I don't think it's a good idea. In my opinion there are too many categories in here already and I think we don't need more of them. I think that everyone who posts their work on a public forum like this should be able to handle criticism and really pay attention on what the other guy is criticising. I mean that when someone makes suggestion to fix a flaw you've just done, I think it's the best way to learn and try new techniques. Personally I was told a few years ago that I should buy a polishing kit. I was a bit unsure at first because I was quite happy with my paint jobs "straight from the can". After polishing my first model I know I would never ever finish a model without polishing it (if it's supposed to have a shiny paint job). Anyway if someone can't handle the criticism, why should that kind of a person post his models on a public forum if he's afraid of someone pointing flaws in his/her work.

Of course it's important to give Constructive criticism. When I point out a flaw on someone else's work, I try to do it so that it won't hurt the builders feelings in any way. Also every model has something good in it... I think it's a good way to say something positive as well.

It makes a difference:

"Great work, nice job with the engine detailing and clean assembly! Good paint job too, but how about trying a spray can paint next time instead of paint brushing, it will give you even better results?"

Or:

"You should use spray paints to paint your model. There's no way one can paint as smoothly with paint brush."

...So my point is that with one yet another category it gets more complicated to follow all of the posts. I think same kind of finished models (Like Cars) should be in Under Glass where you can friendly tell the builder if there's something he could do better job with on the next time. It will make us better builders too.

I know I don't post to much, I admit I never got into it. I rarely go online in general, But I seen a few posts lately regarding people commenting and giving criticism and feedback on people's builds, I know some people like to receive this as it helps you improve, and others don't,

I suggest making a new section in the forums called "Brutal Honesty - Critique Centre"

A forum for constructive criticism, be honest and helpful, Warning! To post your works in here you must be able to handle the criticism.

That way only those who want to be critiqued can post there. Problems solved..? I see this type of section on forums of military and figure painting sites where some can be very nit picky lol

That's already covered in the Model Cars - On The Workbench section's sub-header"

Rules for On The Workbench For those viewing others who are presenting their works in progress in this section of the forum, please keep your criticisms, sarcasms, and other comments to yourself, unless the builder/poster has specifically asked for such replies.
All a poster needs to do is ASK FOR criticism, sarcams, etc., and you better believe there are members here who will oblige them. ^_^