Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Duesenberg

Harry P.

(So this section is for larger scales too?)

So why can't it be for larger scales, too? If you read around this forum, you'll see there's lots of dispute about having a large-scale topic separate from the others. If the On the Workbench and Under Glass topics can accommodate 1/24-25, 1/32. 1/43 and even 1/64 models, why is there a separation? Totally senseless.

Skip, I wasn't aware of any dispute on this topic and I hope nobody else has taken my question the wrong way.

I was given my first 1/16th model for Christmas and, yes, assuming I build it, I'd prefer to put it in Under Glass where there's more traffic, but thought I'd ask first.

(So this section is for larger scales too?)

Skip, I wasn't aware of any dispute on this topic and I hope nobody else has taken my question the wrong way.

I was given my first 1/16th model for Christmas and, yes, assuming I build it, I'd prefer to put it in Under Glass where there's more traffic, but thought I'd ask first.

It occasionally arises when someone questions why a large-scale kit is posted in the Under Glass section. The disputing reply is almost always from me. :P

Edited by sjordan2

I enjoy building these old Monogram classic kits but have never thought of doing one in gold but this colour certainly works on this build, I may have to rethrink colour choice on a future build. Well done.

Not a Monogram kit. 1/16 Entex. But those Monogram classics can be terrific.

Very nice, Harry. I like the colors. What kit is this, or is that a scratch-built body?

Charlie Larkin

It's the Entex version (1/16 scale). I say "Entex version" because like a lot of kits of cars from this era, they were reissued under various brands and with various different box art... but whether an Entex kit, a Minicraft kit, a Bandai kit, etc... they are all the same kit. Not sure why cars of this era in particular got the runaround that way, but it's very common for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

This one snuck by me...very nice Harry. I love Duesies. When I was in Vegas a number of yers ago I spent most of the vacation in the Imperial Palace car collection. They had a fantastic collection of them that is no longer. Nice job...love the color combo.

It's the Entex version (1/16 scale). I say "Entex version" because like a lot of kits of cars from this era, they were reissued under various brands and with various different box art... but whether an Entex kit, a Minicraft kit, a Bandai kit, etc... they are all the same kit. Not sure why cars of this era in particular got the runaround that way, but it's very common for some reason.

As Harry said, the majority of 1/16 classics have been issued under a multitude of labels, each of which is the same kit. If it's 1/16 -- except for Aurora brass era cars which are all curbside, such as Stutz Bearcat and Mercer Raceabout, plus Lindberg classic racers -- they're all the same. It's too wearying to describe the lineage of these kits because they are so much the same except for the presence or absence of chrome parts under some labels, but it's a dizzying array. These have been issued by Gunze Sangyo, Entex, Academy (Korean), Minicraft, Revell, Anmark, Fuman/Bandai and maybe a few others.

Under all those labels, these are all the same 1/16 models (I have left out Ford Model A, some brass cars, Packard and Cadillac kits because I'm not familiar with them).

Minicraft seems to be the most current purveyor of most of them.

Mercer raceabout

Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost

1927-28 Mercedes SS

1936 Mercedes 540K

1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sports Saloon

Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental (Revell only)

Jaguar SS 100

Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing (Not Italeri, which is the same as their roadster)

MG TC

There are others like the Dueseneberg SJ Boattail and Hispano Alfonso that are one brand only.

Edited by sjordan2