Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt Flats Deuce Roadster

Phildaupho

Never before have there been stock engines with as much horsepower. I became intrigued with the idea of taking a traditional Deuce roadster and installing a stock Corvette C6 ZR1 LS9 engine [376 cu.in, 638HP, supercharged], multi-speed transmission and the requisite safety equipment to see how fast a stock engined street roadster could go at Bonneville. It likely would not be a record breaker [b/BSTR record = 241.37] but I bet it would break the 200mph barrier. This probably makes no sense from a dollar point of view since for the cost of a LS9 crate motor, an engine with much more HP could be bought on-line or built-up by a speed shop but very few hot rod builds really make dollar sense. A stock looking Lingenfelter LS9 crate motor puts out 750HP and they have more radical LS9 versions dynoing at 900HP.

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo7-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

BODY - Revell 32 Ford Roadster – The street roadster class is probably the least aerodynamic of all the Bonneville classes in that the body must essentially be of stock dimensions, have rear fenders and headlights and retain the windshield brow. The rules also state “the windshield post mounting brackets (stanchion) must be retained”. Although I have seen Bonneville street roadsters racing without these brackets they are mounted on my model. There are only limited ways to improve aerodynamics such as smooth hood sides and top. The lips on the radiator shell and cowl were removed. I retained the splash panel under the radiator shell that might function as a spoiler. The headlights were mounted to the radiator shell. The rear fenders were bobbed. The tonneau cover was made from sheet brass.

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

INTERIOR - Revell 32 Ford Roadster – door panels smoothed and dash filled. Roll-cage, gauges and fire extinguisher are from a Revell Funny-Car kit. The resin racing seat is from M3 Hobbies with Acu-Stion seat belts. The passenger side is taken up with a battery and electronic panel from a Corvette C5-R.

CHASSIS - Revell 32 Ford Roadster - As with many Bonneville street roadsters I bobbed the front frame horns. The stock fuel tank was modified being smoothed on top and flattened on the bottom. I considered fashioning a rear diffuser but reckoned it would not be very effective.

SUSPENSION - Revell 32 Ford Roadster – I lowered the front as much as I could and eliminated the air bags in the rear.

WHEELS & TIRES – Wheel discs are from the AMT Avanti. Front tires are Revell Funny-Car items. Front wheels have inner disc cut from sheet styrene. Rears tires are from parts box with tread and side wall rib sanded off. The tire lettering was done with a gel pen in front and decals in the rear.

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ENGINE – The Revell Corvette C6 ZR1 provided the LS9 engine. Getting everything to fit in a ’32 Ford engine compartment was an interesting challenge. The air conditioning compressor and power steering pump were removed and the alternator was repositioned. [Note - the alternator is misidentified on instruction sheet] Ignition and fuel lines were added. The Rat Roaster supplied the Tremec transmission. A radiator was fabricated that could cool both the engine and intercooler with a scratch-built air intake drawing air from the top of the radiator shell. I made up a dry-sump oil reservoir tank reminiscent of an old school beehive filter mounted on the firewall.

PAINT – I chose yellow as the color as a nod to Corvette Racing [Testor’s Bright Yellow Enamel] as is skull decal

DECALS – Computer generated

I have been fascinated with Bonneville since I first heard the word when Pontiac started naming its performance versions Bonneville. As a kid I often got a Hot Rod magazine in my Christmas stocking and that issue always had a feature on Bonneville Speed Week. I finally got to Bonneville in the fall of 1995 but I was unable to watch the speed trials because it was a smaller event and not insured for spectators. Even the Bonneville Speedway Museum in nearby Wendover was closed. I could only peek through the windows. Attending Speed Week some year is definitely on my bucket list.

Lots more photos at http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/1/salt-flats-bbstr-ls/