Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

I'm probably in the minority, but I just don't find the fender-less cars very appealing. I might be tempted to grab one for parts though.

Kevin I wonder if the AMT fenders will fit this body? I like fenders myself but the coupe Tim built looks sweet. I was checking this out at the NNL Nationals last year when it was sitting by another coupe that was also very nice.

Andy/Kevin. Unless I'm missing something, the AMT fenders are for a '28'29 Model A, while the R&M of Md body would theoretically fit Revell '30A/'31A Tudor/Woody fenders.

Problem is, those Revell fenders seem to have a problem on the rear...one side of the rear fenders doesn't center the rear tires properly.

Still...would be a very cool model to build if you could fix the Revell fenders...TB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not being a chromo-phile, i like the painted insert. ties the grille in with the body & fenders.

I think 30 the bottoms are painted and 31 has both top and bottom painted. I am with you on them being painted, just hard to do and make look good for me.

Thanks for the correction Greg.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Great details here - notice the little notches in the wheel trim rings for valve stems.

Gabriel, in which photo do you see the intake and valve covers together? Photo #3 shows the valve covers and valley cover as separate items, and photo #4 shows the manifolds for the six Stromberg carbs on the far right.

If you mean the object in photo #7 to the right of the brake drums, I'm pretty sure that's a fuel tank.

I've uploaded my test shot photos from last weekend's NNL Milwaukee 23 of the upcoming kit...

Jim Kampmann

Thanks so much, Jim. I really like the fineness of detail and the multiple build options. It reminds me of the recent Slingster offering. It makes me all the more frustrated that they didn't include an Old School rear suspension option. But I'm just being greedy. This looks to be a marvelous kit.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Chris is correct, photo #7 shows the fuel cell - it's not valve coves and intake molded together.

Did you also notice the Battery Box on the lower LH corner of Photo #7?

Or the fuel block and individual fuel lines to the Hilborn injection option in Photo #4?

Bernard...Revell advised me a month or so ago that they changed the Dana rear diff to a Ford 9" rear axle - still not the Halibrand Quick Change, but more correct for a street-driven traditional style hot rod than the Dana. Norm Veber is still working on a transkit for the HQC....

Jim....thanks for the photos. Most Excellent!

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Interesting..two seats, two sets of door panels, two firewalls, two radiators..

and two sets of frame rails. This kit could very well top the '32. Revell should get some great mileage outta this kit! Surely a five window is in the works. That will be the one I go nuts on buying!

Bernard...Revell advised me a month or so ago that they changed the Dana rear diff to a Ford 9" rear axle - still not the Halibrand Quick Change, but more correct for a street-driven traditional style hot rod than the Dana. Norm Veber is still working on a transkit for the HQC.......

That's actually ideal, IMHO. The Halibrand Quick Change would represent one extreme, a kind of of retro-bling element, while the Dana is another, a sort of oddly bland contemporary detail. The Ford 9" kind of splits the difference with a hot rodding evergreen that has been with us for many,decades. A balanced solution to the mini-storm raised by the Dana and the final touch of what will be, no-doubt, a classic and successful offering. Despite all the AMT '29 roadster kits I've horded, I can't wait...

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the diff cover is on the chrome tree. Nice touch!

Edited by Bernard Kron

That's cool. Kinda like an ultimate " '29 Street Rod / Hot Rod Parts Pack". :)

Only immediate gripe I have is the 4 big rectangular holes in the block sides. I don't recall seeing those on any nailhead I've ever worked on in 1:1, and they're gonna be a bugger to fill. :(

IMG_0743.jpg

If they're for placement of engine mounts (I assume) surely a less invasive solution could have been devised...like little dimples, or even bosses like the real engine has.

674x501_1631526_2087886_1391127156.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

...Revell advised me a month or so ago that they changed the Dana rear diff to a Ford 9" rear axle...

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the diff cover is on the chrome tree. Nice touch!

A 9" has ho diff cover. It has a separate chunk, or "pumpkin", that carries the gears and bolts in from the front, which is what you're seeing. Rear "cover" is integral with the housing.

Frankly, I was happy about getting a Dana. Would have been nice to have had a well-engraved non-Ford unit to use in kitbashing.

A set of stock valve covers would have been a real treat, and would have broadened the kit's appeal as kitbash-fodder for guys doing ratrod builds.

Overall it looks great though. Put me down for several, at least. The brakes, tires and headlight lenses are just about worth the price of admission, far as I'm concerned. The FI spider is a nice touch too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The two sets of frame rails, interior side panels, firewalls, seats (and several other sets of parts yet to be mentioned) are required to support the two different building versions (Highboy w/ '32 frame and Channeled with Model A frame). It really is surprising how many components change based on these two building alternatives.

Pretty much anyone who buys this kit is probably going to want to eventually build both versions...and they're also going to have a ton of very cool leftover parts for the parts box after building the kit twice.

TB

The "rectangular holes" in the engine block look to be locators for the motor mounts.

What I'm noticing is a duplication of parts on a few trees indicating possible different versions / issues of this kit. I.E. the interior sides with duplicate radiator hoses and radiators.

The two "frame" trees both include parts to build two complete frames, cross members and all.

What is the large rectangle piece at the bottom right on the "wheel" tree? A top insert for a coupe?

Edited by Greg Myers