Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

Well, mine will have a modified Hilborn setup- I just used that particular pic to illustrate how cool that unassuming little Ztec can look under the right circumstances. :)[/quote

I agree with you there, it's to bad that no one modeled one of the GM Quad four motors, but there are a couple of different versions of dohc Toyota fours, and with a pair of side draft Webers and velocity stacks it would make a nice combo too, the reason I was going with the Ford 2300 was I wandted to build it like one I could do in 1:1 scale.

There are Quad 4 engines in scale. Monogram did the Olds Aerotech in 1/24 scale and AMT did one in the Chevy Berretta GTZ annuals for a couple years. In both cases you would have to remove the transaxle and use a rear drive transmission though.

• 2 weeks later...

There are Quad 4 engines in scale. Monogram did the Olds Aerotech in 1/24 scale and AMT did one in the Chevy Berretta GTZ annuals for a couple years. In both cases you would have to remove the transaxle and use a rear drive transmission though.

I forgot all about the Aerotech kit. But isn't that made as a mid engined car, if so it wouldn't be that hard to convert it to fit the A, there's also the Frontenac four banger from the release of the '27 T tub.

Or keep the Beretta transaxle and front suspension, make a FWD '29 Ford for something different...;)

That's a 30-31 Ford on a model A frame...with a 34 comercial radiator shell. FWIW

for those of us mechanically challenged, does this mean it's not a matched body & frame, or did the model A poop out with the '29?

and for those of us stylistically challenged (see where i'm going with this?), what nuances in the '30-1 body differ from the '28-9? the "hips" are approaching '32 width?

is the radiator shell more square on top, less curved/ more rectilinear than the passenger version?

trying to discern all these meaningful variations.

thanks

for those of us mechanically challenged, does this mean it's not a matched body & frame, or did the model A poop out with the '29?

and for those of us stylistically challenged (see where i'm going with this?), what nuances in the '30-1 body differ from the '28-9? the "hips" are approaching '32 width?

is the radiator shell more square on top, less curved/ more rectilinear than the passenger version?

thanks

Model As were basically the same in 28-29 (styling) the 30-31s had smooth cowls and different fenders,aprons and grille shells. They are all smaller than 32s. the main visual difference between car radiator shells and trucks was the truck's were one piece stampings and the 32 car had a separate insert for the grille. Google the two different Model As for other differences...The point of my comment was that picture was not of the car that revell is putting out. Not on a 32 frame,wrong year body etc...even tho it was a neat car..

Edited by mike 51

'31 A body,'32 commercial (truck) radiator shell and grille, but we get the idea, we can get that commercial shell from the AMT/Lindberg '34 pickup, same basic part.

Ummm...no.

I believe you'll find, if you look at the '34 truck grille shell carefully, that it's NOT the same as the '32 Truck shell. The '32 truck shell has exactly the same overall shape as the '32 car shell. They interchange...bolt on.

The '34 truck shell has a different overall shape...similar but different, and is designed to lean back at the top slightly.

'34 Ford truck rad shell... 527cd45941b14513bf772cc609b3f958_zpsf71b

'32 Ford truck rad shell...it is an altogether different part...same shape as a '32 car, but with trim differences as noted above...

32ford15-1.jpg

thanks

To clarify somewhat, 1928-1931 Fords were model As, but the '28--29 were almost visually identical, and the '30-'31 were almost visually identical. They're all on essentially the same frame and running gear.

Instant recognition: '28-'29 cars have this distinctive, slightly rounded radiator shell, and the coachline sweep in the side of the cowl.

28-Ford-Model-T_Tudor-DV-10-AACA_02.jpg

30-'31 cars have this taller, more "formal" looking, slightly more square grille and no side coachline detail on the cowl.

1930%20Ford.jpg

Also compare the front fenders. The earlier cars are rounder and come down more in front, while the later A has fenders with a leading edge pointing more forward, much more like the '32.

The '30-'31 is indeed wider through the "hips" than the '28-'29, and is taller at the cowl...larger in most outside dimensions than the earlier A, but not quite as big as a '32.

Swapping a '32 radiator shell on to any of them was / is one of the most common mods.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Revell kit is so far said to include BOTH a zeed model-A frame, and a "pinched" '32 frame.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Here's some shots of 1/1 scale Model A's that show the difference between the '29/'29 and '30/'31 bodies that are described in the posts immediately above...

* '28/'29A Five Window Coupes (and a Sport Coupe bonus) Photo Album: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/correcting-or-kitba/192829-model-a-coupe/

* '30/'31 A Five Window Coupes Photo Album : http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/correcting-or-kitba/193031-model-a-coupe-1/

And below are a couple of images from the above albums:

* '28/'29 A Five Window Coupe on a '32 Ford Frame - DSC_0305-vi.jpg

* '30/'31 A Five Window Coupe on a '32 Ford Frame -

DSC_0445_01-vi.jpg

Cheers...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

To clarify somewhat, 1928-1931 Fords were model As, but the '28--29 were almost visually identical, and the '30-'31 were almost visually identical. They're all on essentially the same frame and running gear.

Instant recognition: '28-'29 cars have this distinctive, slightly rounded radiator shell, and the coachline sweep in the side of the cowl.

28-Ford-Model-T_Tudor-DV-10-AACA_02.jpg

30-'31 cars have this taller, more "formal" looking, slightly more square grille and no side coachline detail on the cowl.

1930%20Ford.jpg

Also compare the front fenders. The earlier cars are rounder and come down more in front, while the later A has fenders with a leading edge pointing more forward, much more like the '32.

The '30-'31 is indeed wider through the "hips" than the '28-'29, and is taller at the cowl...larger in most outside dimensions than the earlier A, but not quite as big as a '32.

Swapping a '32 radiator shell on to any of them was / is one of the most common mods.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Revell kit is so far said to include BOTH a zeed model-A frame, and a "pinched" '32 frame.

The only '28-'29 Model A's to have that "Coupe Pillar" (the exposed, curved A-pillar) were the Roadster, Coupes (including the soft top Business Coupe and the Cabriolet), Tudor Sedans, the "uber-rare" Taxicab, and both open and closed truck cabs. All Fordor sedans, including the Town Sedan had a smooth cowling which hid the gas tank underneath (on bodies with that "Coupe Pillar", the cowling IS the gas tank!). Just to clarify a bit.

Art

Tim Boyd's pix brought up a very important point about model-A hot rods. While many were / are built on model-A frame rails with a 103.5" wheelbase (or channel or rectangular-tube facsimiles), it was / is extremely popular to build an A on the 106" wheelbase '32 rails as in Tim's pix.

The distinctive 1932 Ford frame is longer, much stronger, and has a one-year-only styling device. The side of the '32 frame rails is stamped with this "reveal" or sculptural detail that follows the front and rear fender lines when the stock car is assembled. The frame is exposed on the '32...the only year Ford did it that way. Because of the difference in length between the '32 body shells and the A body shells, when a non-channeled fenderless A is built on '32 rails, it's necessary to pay attention to where the stamped details in the rails are in relation to the body.

This is the stamped "reveal" in the '32 Ford frame.

frame%20ford%2032_zpsqlctllx6.jpg

This is a stock '32 Ford frame complete. It's fairly beefy compared to an A frame. Hot-rodders would typically substitute front, center K-member, and rear crossmembers to fit different suspension or to lower the car.

SAM_0032.JPG

frame%20ford%2032%201_zpsyq93km61.jpg

This is the skinnier, shorter, weaker model-A frame.

38858454011_large.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

that's been my go-to reference for a few years now. this is available for ordering now

book_zpsaswxgncz.png

and i think it'll be a good reference. maybe nothing different than is available online, but i still like paper & ink.

never seen, or maybe actually noticed, a grille with body color infill.

interesting that once something has been pointed out, how obvious it really is. like all the fender styles: "well of course it's different; anyone can see that!"

My one wish for this kit is that a hood would magically appear. I'm looking at pics of "A"s I want to use for inspiration and well over half of them have hoods. I'm not even going to be greedy and demand sides, although it would be nice. Hopefully Revell will make a series out of this tooling and offer us a coupe and maybe a sedan and fenders and a nice vintage flattie and some different hoods and sides with each version. Different wheels, tires and an Olds Rocket, or the like would be welcome too. The basic concept worked pretty well for the '32, and I think Revell has sold one or two of those kits. The neat thing about the '32 kits is that all of the pieces swap out pretty easily, meaning I can take the Highboy kit, build it with fenders, the Hemi from the 5W, the hood from the Speedwagon and the wire wheels from the sedan, or any other combination I can dream of. I'm pretty sure that a hood will happen in one of the future releases, but starting now would give them a chance for an extra variation.

If not, I will just have to scratch out a hood and sides for it. (Too bad I don't have the casting gear any more, as I would probably do well with a couple of hood versions, some alternate interior pieces and a couple of different grilles and shells). I know I will be hacking a couple of '32 shells for it as soon as it is released. It looks like somebody will make a track nose or two... This is gonna be fun! (and expensive$$$) If this kit is pretty good, I can see myself getting a half dozen or so. This kit should work for anything from slightly traditional rods to rat rods to '60s style show cars with enough massaging. Hopefully, this kit ends up being as nice as Tim's previews make it sound, and there won't be too much to fix on it. (Aside from the rear suspension) I think Revell could really have another winning franchise on their hands with this kit!