Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

I very, very rarely buy two of any model before building the first one.... but this one... I will probably have to have 5 or 6 of them easily. I bought 6 of the old monogram 30 Model A 5 windows off ebay so far... Never even built one yet... I just love 30-31 Model A's. Now.... If Revell released an updated/new tooled 30-31 5 window........... whoooooo boy.. I'd go in debt.

I can already see myself getting about 3 or 4 of these kits mixed up on the bench while kit bashing and customizing. Looks like I'll be making some 30-31 Model A chopped 5 window hot rods sooner than I thought.

Edited by JTalmage

It certainly pleases me to anticipate all the great builds coming in the future because of this news. It also pleases me to see so many fellas expressing interest in "hot rods", particularly historical and vintage. Not everybody's cup of tea, but nice to know I'm in the company of those that fit in this "niche".

Cause that's the time to talk about it...? It just looked a bit funny is all.

Regardless of what the dimensions are, it's going to be right. It isn't supposed to be a stock body, it's been modified for a hot rod, it's not uncommon for roadsters to be lengthened in both the door and quarters in front of the tires to make more room for those who have long legs and want a little more room for comfort in case they actually have intentions on driving it for longer than around the fairgrounds.

So, this should stop arguments about it not being exactly like the one Henry built, who knows maybe it was designed off a new steel body for full size rodders. We already have a deuce roadster pickup, a roadster with a retracting top that disappears into the tulip panel, various roadsters with different length doors, quarters, and a plethora of firewall and cowl modifications, plus a few other cars that never saw the light of day from any assembly line mass produced family car.

Not a stock body and isn't being represented as one.

Edited by horsepower

C'mon guys...this is hot-rod stuff. Hot-rod is six letters that mean "everything fits everything...if YOU make it". B)

EXACTLY! This kit is aimed squarely at kitbashers although I'm sure the OOB builds will be just fine, too. Unless the parts are wildly oddball or out of scale I don't see how using them successfully with various pre-existing 1/24th and 1/25th scale kits of similar cars will be a problem for most moderately experienced modelers.

This looks like another Grand Slam for Revell. My only concern with this kit is will Revell have enough production capacity to keep up with demand. When the 70 Hemi Cuda was released I know the first run of kits sold out quick. I can see demand out pacing supply for this kit.

Edited by slantasaurus

Isn't this kit a blessing for the wheels alone? None of the Revell '32 kits have traditional hot rod wheels with narrow tires.

That and the I-Beam axle, the juice brakes, a full channeled option, and a highly desirable period motor in the form of the Nailhead. That's why I agree that this kit will likely form the root of another successful series, much as the Deuce series did starting with a classic 90's style rod. In this case it will be based on the current popularity of Traditional rods. That's why the too-modern coils & Dana rear end is so frustrating for some of us. Regardless, this is a huge step and I just can't imagine Revell using all this tooling for just one kit.

This looks like another Grand Slam for Revell. My only concern with this kit is will Revell have enough production capacity to keep up with demand. When the 70 Hemi Cuda was released I know the first run of kits sold out quick. I can see demand out pacing supply for this kit.

Sold out is subjective, my three LHSs always had at least one of them each on their shelves.

Tim Boyd:

What kind of transmission is the Nailhead equipped with???

Dennis...I'm not an expert on GM transmissions, but I can tell you it's an automatic, and it does not appear to be a 1950's Hydramatic.

So therefore I presume it is probably a 1960's Turbo 400, or maybe a more recent GM AOD. It looks to be a cinch to swap in some other trannys, although original Hydros, which are really large, might need a bit of tweaking to surrounding surfaces. One other thing to note - the tranny has a separate and very nicely engraved pan on the bottom.

TIM

Forgot to ask - which taillights will it have, '39 Ford or '49 Pontiac? Red lenses I hope?

Chris..the tool has both '39 Ford teardrops and '48 Chev rectangular tailamps. I presume both will be available in this kit, but we'll have to see the final release to be sure.

The tailamps are on one of the chrome trees (which, btw, is just packed with parts), and it is left up to the customer to add the red lense effect with Testors Stoplamp Red enamel or lacquer. (Personally, I actually prefer this with small lamps like these, because if you do separate clear red lamps, the parts thickness buildup leaves an unrealistic appearance on the finished model - though I realize you and others may see this differently.)

Thanks for the question....Cheers....TIM

A "NEW" " Golden age" indeed. :lol:

AMEN buddy! Triple AMEN!!! TB

...and it is left up to the customer to add the red lense effect with Testors Stoplamp Red enamel or lacquer.

I used Testor Stop Light Red (which is now also available in the little bottles) for a couple decades with complete satisfaction. Last couple years I've been using Testor Acryl Clear Red for taillights, and it is AWESOME stuff. Great color and easy to use--what's not to like?

Tim…Tim….Tim…….. I've mentioned this in the past during the Hemi-Cuda intro, I'll say it again now. Must be tough sitting on good news! An epic release drops, and your posts are so matter-of-fact about waiting on the official intro to talk about it. I wonder how far into the future does your crystal ball go? :rolleyes:

John...yeah...this one in particular was hard to keep under my breath due to the subject matter and how well it is executed. But the model companies expect that people they bring "under the fold" on future projects have to respect their secrecy. (This personal policy also comes from my 35 year career at Ford and having to keep future product news secret in the 1/1 scale car business too).

Actually, I know what is a pretty small slice of firm future product plans from the big 3 domestics (Revell, Round 2, and Moebius). What little I do know makes my head spin. Really innovative stuff on the horizon, though that horizon can take up to five years or more as ideas are weighed against each other, prioritized for development vs. other future kits and hobby categories, then designed, tooled, and refined with several rounds of test shots. So I don't know when any of these will hit the market...

I also hear a fairly steady stream of info from outsiders, that is, people who have contact with the model companies, but do not work for them. This info often comes years in advance of a kit actually hitting the market. I have learned over the years the "outsiders" who seem to have a good track record of separating future fact from future fiction. Thus...I had first heard rumors about the Revell '29A Roadster at least three, maybe four years ago, though Revell never said a word to me about it until they contracted me to an in-depth, structured review the first round test shots just about a year ago.

Occasionally I have proposed my own ideas for new kits and on those, and I generally have at least a little idea of how they are coming about. But not always. Right now, I think the market is ripe for a new tool '70 GTO, with a 400 RA-IV (which would be the first time that's been done in 1/25th), in both regular and Judge forms, followed by one or more of the Stock/Super Stock racers that ran that body style. But on that one, I haven't heard even a faint whisper that anyone is working on that topic right now.

Finally, I have been known to plant a rumor or two myself, either in the press or trade, or directly with the model companies themselves. I haven't done this in recent years, but I did so several times in the 1980's and 1990's. Just one example - I told the Domestics that I had heard a viable rumor that one of the Japanese kitmakers was going to do a series of early C3 Corvettes if the domestics didn't jump in that market soon. This was totally fabricated, but geared to get them to realize that there was a big gap in the Corvette kit lineup that was begging to be filled with some modern-era kits. Within 18 months, Revell's 1969 and 1969 new-tooled C3's appeared, and a little later, AMT/Ertl's 1970 1//2 and 1972 LT-1's came out. But honestly, I have not no idea if my "plant" had anything to do with that eventual result.

Cheers...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Sold out is subjective, my three LHSs always had at least one of them each on their shelves.

From what I've heard from Revell and those in the Trade, the 'cuda kit did sell very well, many (but not all - as you point out) distribution sources did run out of the kit, and there was a second production run of kits scheduled pretty quickly after the initial intro.

With a kit like this '29A Roadster, it would be a really helpful sign if it not only sold well initially, but then remained a steady selling staple for years to come. That's what the Revell '32 Ford series has been - it seems to me that in almost every year since this series was first introduced in late 1996, at least one, and often, several of the kits were in Revell's yearly kit catalog.

As many of you have pointed out, this new Revell l'29 A Roadster kit has great kitbashing potential. And the basic kit design lends itself to a number of follow-up kits (just as the '32 Ford series evolved over the years). Both of these would point to a long life for this kit, and, one hopes, its eventual derivatives.

Having said all that, I'm not taking any chances, I've got several pre-orders in for this new kit. Like you, I can't wait!

TIM

Dennis...I'm not an expert on GM transmissions, but I can tell you it's an automatic, and it does not appear to be a 1950's Hydramatic.

So therefore I presume it is probably a 1960's Turbo 400, or maybe a more recent GM AOD. It looks to be a cinch to swap in some other trannys, although original Hydros, which are really large, might need a bit of tweaking to surrounding surfaces. One other thing to note - the tranny has a separate and very nicely engraved pan on the bottom.

TIM

A very quick glance I had supports Tim's reply of a Turbohydro. But it was a very quick glance.

Funny that they would chose that transmission as well as their modern choice for the rear chassis set up, I.E. modern coil overs and a Dana style differential, as opposed to a quick change buggy spring set up. ;)

I see your point on this (I had the same thought as well), but the kit's designer was ntent on replicating more of a "traditional look but with some modern gubbins underneath" type of rod you'd get from Roy Brizio or the SoCal shops. (In fact, the rear radius rods and coil overs are dupes of the 1/1 scale SoCal components). One that is designed to drive cross-country more than the local Rat Rod show.

As I posted elswhere, I'd wager a bet or two that one of the aftermarket suppliers will be on the scene with a traditional/historically correct transverse leaf/Halibrand Quick Change rear end setup sooner than later. TIM

Tim , gonna be lookin' at your post in a new light from now on, looking for those little hints at future kits. ;)

And for the rest of you ,Keeping up with Tim, ya gotta see where he's coming from, if you haven't already seen his work with Henry's ol' Model "A" http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98885

DSC_0488-vi.jpgDSC_0348-vi.jpgDSC_0349-vi.jpg

• Like 1