Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

From what I've heard from Revell and those in the Trade, the 'cuda kit did sell very well, many (but not all - as you point out) distribution sources did run out of the kit, and there was a second production run of kits scheduled pretty quickly after the initial intro.

With a kit like this '29A Roadster, it would be a really helpful sign if it not only sold well initially, but then remained a steady selling staple for years to come. That's what the Revell '32 Ford series has been - it seems to me that in almost every year since this series was first introduced in late 1996, at least one, and often, several of the kits were in Revell's yearly kit catalog.

As many of you have pointed out, this new Revell l'29 A Roadster kit has great kitbashing potential. And the basic kit design lends itself to a number of follow-up kits (just as the '32 Ford series evolved over the years). Both of these would point to a long life for this kit, and, one hopes, its eventual derivatives.

Having said all that, I'm not taking any chances, I've got several pre-orders in for this new kit. Like you, I can't wait!

TIM

It just irks me personally when people have a perception of something that doesn't necessarily match reality. Everyone says the Mustang LX aold well, but my LHS still has the first one he ever put on the shelf still sitting there (his price tags have a date stamp), and the same for the Drag version. Lot of people claim they could never buy any of the Galaxie Limited Chevy kits, but they were available DIRECTLY through Galaxie the entire time until they finally sold out last year.

Ironically AFTER the 2nd batch of factory Cudas were run in conjunction with the Sox & Martin Drag car he sold more than a half dozen of them at Christmas time. I also couldn't find a Moebius '56 Chrysler in stock there for like 6 months... regional sales must drive Corporate crazy sometimes.

Back to the matter at hand, being the resident Japan "homer" and super car/hyper car/modern car lover...I still have to get one of these. It's too iconic a subject, and I will support Revell in projects I feel deserve my money.

if one of the resin gurus could find their way to make some Guide headlights, they would look super on this ride.

Guide 682J headlights are available in the most recent issue of the Revell/Monogram '30 Ford Touring. Should be pretty easy to adapt them to this kit.

Guide or BLC lights should be in this kit, they are the quintessential hot rod headlight.

This is just plain awesome. I think I will buy more than one. I do love the "AV8", but I think the '32 Chassis would be great with a rebody. Lots of choices. I think it will be a big seller. Just...wow.

Ooh! Drop in the Offy from their Midget racer! Heck yeah!

Guide 682J headlights are available in the most recent issue of the Revell/Monogram '30 Ford Touring. Should be pretty easy to adapt them to this kit.

Guide or BLC lights should be in this kit, they are the quintessential hot rod headlight.

Dennis is spot on, this kit is the only source I've found for Guide headlamps.

Here's what these lamps from the latest issue of the Revell (originally Monogram) '30 Ford Phaeton/Touring kit (#85-4242) look like installed on a kitbashed Model A Chopped Five Window Coupe Hot Rod:

DSC_0495-vi.jpg

I agree with Joe above, someone in the aftermarket should consider casting these lamps, because as Dennis says, these ARE the quintessential headlamps on many traditional hot rod builds these days....TIM UPDATE - so Norm has added these to his catalog (see posts below) - thanks for the update guys....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

This is just plain awesome. I think I will buy more than one. I do love the "AV8", but I think the '32 Chassis would be great with a rebody. Lots of choices. I think it will be a big seller. Just...wow.

Ooh! Drop in the Offy from their Midget racer! Heck yeah!

...or the V8-60 from the Edelbrock Midget Racer kit...! Or even the Offy from the old AMT Watson Roadster Indy kit (one of Rodder's Journal Publisher Steve Coonan's friends when he lived in Huntington Beach, CA, built an Offy powered '29 A Roadster Pickup that is still going great to this day (Red, Highboy, steelies, wood rails above the shortened pickup bed...you have probably seen pictres of it if you read the rod magazines...) TB

methinks you be right!

just got the most recent R&M price list earlier this week. i could not find it in the body of the document, but in the 2015 price list it's item #P-151: 1/25 VINTAGE HEADLIGHTS w/Parking Light on top of H/L Bucket - Separate Lenses - For Fendered '32 & Others - 5 pcs. $6.95

thanks for the nudge & lead.

It just irks me personally when people have a perception of something that doesn't necessarily match reality. Everyone says the Mustang LX aold well, but my LHS still has the first one he ever put on the shelf still sitting there (his price tags have a date stamp), and the same for the Drag version. Lot of people claim they could never buy any of the Galaxie Limited Chevy kits, but they were available DIRECTLY through Galaxie the entire time until they finally sold out last year.

Ironically AFTER the 2nd batch of factory Cudas were run in conjunction with the Sox & Martin Drag car he sold more than a half dozen of them at Christmas time. I also couldn't find a Moebius '56 Chrysler in stock there for like 6 months... regional sales must drive Corporate crazy sometimes.

Back to the matter at hand, being the resident Japan "homer" and super car/hyper car/modern car lover...I still have to get one of these. It's too iconic a subject, and I will support Revell in projects I feel deserve my money.

It "irks" you? Huh. Didya ever think that your "reality" is not necessarily someone else's "reality"? You cite one LHS, and going direct thru a manufacturer. Some people might not consider to deal directly with a manufacturer, for whatever the reason, and there is more than one LHS in the country. Did you ever think to have your LHS order that Chrysler for you?

They will need to change the shipping routes then, Asia, Europe (via Suez) and then the US (East coast)

That way we in Europe get the Revell US kits first too LOL

It "irks" you? Huh. Didya ever think that your "reality" is not necessarily someone else's "reality"? You cite one LHS, and going direct thru a manufacturer. Some people might not consider to deal directly with a manufacturer, for whatever the reason, and there is more than one LHS in the country. Did you ever think to have your LHS order that Chrysler for you?

That would have been great except Moebius didn't have any either.

I'm using one hobby shop as an example, however we have 6 of them in town and so I got the Chrysler from another.

The reason it "irks" me is that someone says "x is sold out" and I say I know where you can get one - either from me getting it and reimbursing/trading for it or going through another source. Then someone else piles in and claims since THEY can't find it, never mind what I just said, there ARE NO MORE TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE.

Note I never said I was irked at people HERE at any point. But if that feel it was directed at you or you need to faux defend the masses here then lace that sucker up and wear it proudly!

It'll be interesting to see how the injector stacks are molded on this one. The Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat's stacks tended to twist off themselves, leaving a nice little chunk missing from the bell end of many of them-- not good. Even if you did manage to remove them cleanly and keep the flared end nice and uniform, you ended up with the little bit of red plastic still showing, and a Testor's Gloss Silver paint marker ain't cutting it this time, sorry. -_-

Maybe someone tipped off Round2 a while back and that was the real reason why they released their injector stack parts pack...well played, Round2. ^_^

That would have been great except Moebius didn't have any either.

I'm using one hobby shop as an example, however we have 6 of them in town and so I got the Chrysler from another.

The reason it "irks" me is that someone says "x is sold out" and I say I know where you can get one - either from me getting it and reimbursing/trading for it or going through another source. Then someone else piles in and claims since THEY can't find it, never mind what I just said, there ARE NO MORE TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE.

Note I never said I was irked at people HERE at any point. But if that feel it was directed at you or you need to faux defend the masses here then lace that sucker up and wear it proudly!

I guess you're just a bit sensitive about being "irked" about trivialities.. I'll pass the lace thing along, to you. After all, it is Friday.

The Offy offered in the midget kits, is the small 170 cubic inch one, not the 255 that was used in the Indy, and Champ cars. And the flathead V-8 is the tiny V-8 60, both would look like Briggs Stratton engines in that hoodless A.

The V8-60 represented in the Migdet kit is indeed a small engine, but it CAN look good in a small car. One recent AMBR winning '26 T track-nose car ran an Ardun-headed version, and it looks pretty good to me. The parts in this new Revell kit should supply a lot of goodies for building something like this.

most_beautiful_roadster_2013.jpg

2013AMBRwinner_750.jpg