Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why was the AMT 1941 Plymouth kitted ?

41 Plymouth? chicken feed. lets explain why a 100% loser car like a AM Pacer was issued. and reissued. yeah I get they probably had the contract for promos but foisting something like that on the unsuspecting public (more than once) was more a crime than producing the real thing.

sometimes you gotta wonder what these people are thinking

jb

41 Plymouth? chicken feed. lets explain why a 100% loser car like a AM Pacer was issued. and reissued. yeah I get they probably had the contract for promos but foisting something like that on the unsuspecting public (more than once) was more a crime than producing the real thing.

sometimes you gotta wonder what these people are thinking

jb

And they did two versions. Coupe and wagon. B)

20150221_100912_zps0jnzlqnc.jpg

That's the story Bill told me.......but didn't know if it was 'public' so held back......

Here is mine inspired by the movie 'Cool Hand Luke' car wash car. Closest model to the movie car........works for me!!!!!

PLYMOUTH41-vi.jpg

PLYMOUTH41a-vi.jpg

Think he told it, or I heard it a day or so before the HH party at Dean's museum, back in '03

I think there should be more like the 41 Plymouth and the Pacer. Many cars that history have forgotten could be kitted. Yes, I know it is not a sure footed succes as another 32 Ford hot-rod or another 57 Chevy Bel-Air but sometimes they can come up with real gems.

I think there should be more like the 41 Plymouth and the Pacer.

Agreed! Except for the fact that my retirement fund took a serious dive, since I was deeply invested in Pacer kits! :rolleyes:

Whenever I see a '41 Plymouth kit for cheap at a show ($5-10) I grab it for the flathead six engine, as well as the chassis for other Mopar builds I am planning. For instance didja know that the Powell pickup truck was based on a recycled '41 Plymouth chassis?

And I always thought the Pacer was an interesting looking car. My friend worked at an AMC dealer at the time and we'd go cruising in an Pacer with a 4 speed. It was actually fun.

>>The choice of a '41 Plymouth as a kit series is an interesting story as well. Model Cars journalist/builder Bill Coulter acted as a go-between with AMT and Richard Petty, and as thanks, AMT told Bill they would kit a pre-war Mopar of his choice. He picked the '41 Plymouth, but the Sedan Delivery, not the coupe. AMT thought the coupe would sell better (they were probably right), and that's how the kit came about.

And now you know...the rest of the story (or something like that). TIM<<

I never knew something like subject selection was as fickle as favor passing. Too bad he didn't choose the aerocoupe if that's the era he liked.

Some of us like Pacers.

RIGHT.......AMC was way ahead of the times. If they had gotten the money to build their mini van YEARS befor anyone else did we'd be talking about Ford, GM and AMC today. Owning 2 AMC's right now and more in the past as well as growing up in them......to know them is to love them!!

The "Why?" was answered to me by Bill Coulter himself, when we were at AMT Corporation's Maple Road headquarters the first weekend of May 1976, as part of a judging team for a high school shop class truck model building contest hosted by AMT. Tom Valmassei, then the art director for AMT, confirmed to us that Bill had it right.

As a "reward" for help on some new kit projects, AMT offered to kit a subject recommended by Bill, who responded "1941 Plymouth Sedan Delivery", but AMT's management couldn't see a sedan delivery being much of a sales draw at that time, so coupe it was.

Art

I call my 41' "REAPER" Its got a really big chevy motor 502 ci ?? and the decals are from a impala lowrider kit

its probly going for the rebuild list soon as the roof is blistered from too much glue....... i may just sand the roof some add putty smooth out and lightly mist some other purple paint or go with a flat/ matte black roof with a pic / decal of grimm reaper........ HMMMmmmmm the fun of this hobby!! B)

101_6128.jpg

101_6126.jpg

101_6124.jpg

101_6151.jpg

This kit would leave a huge hole in out car pool of kits if it was never done. My thanks to AMT and Bill C for making it so. How many other forties cars are there?

Just the old L-head has found it's way into untold Chrysler Corp. cars from '30's to the '60's.

51PlymouthEngine_Paint__DSC1160.jpg

I think the same could be said about the '41 woody. It's a nice kit as far as detail goes. But, it's ugly as home made sin IMO. Round2 is reissuing it this year for whatever reason when they're still going for dirt cheap on ebay. I just bought one for $14.05 shipped. So, I don't know how anyone will sell the reissue for today's kit prices. Supposedly, it will be a 2n1. But, no solid info on that. Round2's site only mentions stock tires with whitewall inserts. IF it's a 2n1, I'll snag one with a 40% off coupon.