Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Oh dear Dennis . . . This is no place for a Phantom III Will there be further work on this car ? David
  3. Hesitant to post? Why? It looks great! Grabs that short tracker vibe right immediately! Love it!
  4. Something else for modelers to consider...true cellulose acetate is biodegradable, and the packaging even says "compostable" sometimes. This means it's not as stable as high-quality petroleum-derived plastics, and as most of us old fossils know from experience, "acetate" plastic promo bodies from the 1950s and early '60s are mostly either turned to dust and chunks by now, or warped beyond recognition. I'd say that this point in time, either PETG or polycarbonate would be the best choices for model windows, as acetate will eventually self-destruct, and styrene sheet tends to be soft and scratches easily during handling. PETG is probably the ultimate, as it can be had for free, it can be heat formed fairly easily, it's reasonably scratch-resistant, and reasonably stiff for flat windows.
  5. That sounds like the cheap plastic was not polystyrene (or ABS). While I'm not familiar with Revell cement, I suspect ti is a typical solvent-based cement. If it is polystyrene (or ABS, which is a variant of polystyrene) should all be gluable using hobby glues for styrene, and even CA glue.
  6. Gorgeous Bugatti....the weathering, the base,the details...everything is spot on. Works of art don't just happen overnight.
  7. It has been a few decades since I have had to deal with "soft plugs". A couple of suggestions that may help: They used to offer replacements that had a hard rubber bushing the size of the opening in the block that had a bolt of sorts passing thru the center and screwed into a metal plate on the water jacket side of the plug. After inserting the plug into the block as far as the plug would go you would tighten the bolt and it would expand the rubber plug from the inside of the engine. As for an installation tool, we used to use a socket that would fit inside the outer surface of the metal soft plug and with an extension on the socket extending into a part of the engine compartment that you could use a hammer to ease the plug into the block. A good liquid sealer would help the soft plug into place and act as a sealer as well.
  8. Most quick-set epoxies while they harden clear (or slightly amber in color), will become darker yellow with age (after several years). But if you use epoxy in a way that it is not visible outside the model, that is not a problem.
  9. I did not mention polypropylene as I have never seen it available in thin clear sheets. It is usually used to for making Tupperware or similar food containers, and it is usually not crystal clear. As you said, adhesives do not stick well to it. Probably best to use something else.
  10. No, that's fine Bill. Thank you. Good to know that acetate is still alive and well, and available, but I just haven't seen any acetate clear sheets for sale at any hobby shops I have been using in the last 30 years. And while I agree that the materials are usually labeled correctly by the manufacturers, I still believe that majority of modelers actually use different materials, while generically calling them "acetate". At least in my experience.
  11. Well, this feels like a milestone.... she's now sitting firmly on all four wheels. Next job will be the exhausts, since that's the last reason I'll need to turn it upside down, and then windscreen and chrome details... best, M.
  12. Today
  13. It sounds good, but will see if my skills and/or my schedule cooperates!
  14. With the interest in pickups I would think Round 2 would be looking at a redo of the C1500 454SS truck and some of the other old AMT issues from the past. A reissue of a '68 Impala SS would be nice as well with the prices being sky high for original AMT versions now. I think any number of the listed kits would sell well.
  15. That sounds like it'll be a pretty impressive rig, Dan.
  16. Well you can just glue the engine block halves together and call it good, Bill. 😉 But seriously, love to have you join.
  17. Beautiful looking paint finish and color. The chrome body trim all looks great. The Camper looks like it could have been a kit part, and the latter and trim look realistic.
  18. Well, another day, another error. Forgot to sand off the wiper blades, as very few stockers keep them on. A few more strips of Hasegawa chrome and they will have to do. Windshield chrome looks ok. The stuff is harder to cut than bmf,but, luckily, there is very little trimming to do with the narrow strips I use. Now, on to making some side windows, installing windshields, and making some class numbers and letters. There is a 25 watt bulb at the end of this tunnel.
  19. I had several pictures of Cougar's, including Dave Dion's, that I used as inspiration. When the model was finished, I deleted them. This is the only picture that I failed to delete for some reason. Even had a pic of it head on into the inside wall at some speedway! No idea who this is, or where they raced at. For some reason this one really spoke to me. I'll get a 3/4 shot when I get home. I'm at our new (to us) house measuring for a remodel. Yippee!
  20. Ahhh i haven't haven't seen that. I agree with you about the vintage horsepower.
  21. Looks great and that bed can be a real challenge to put together correctly. Paint and colors all look OEM including the bed floor.
  22. Like others have said, great color combo, and the stance is spot on. Nice clean build.
  23. You did such an excellent job building both of them
  24. Great looking color and GM should have offered something like that. The decals and body finish look great. the engine detailing is cleanly done. Like the way the wheels and tires are done.
  25. Here is my 09 Challenger Pro Mod...I used the Revell Challenger body...I made a trade here for chassis etc..Then I used the Bob Glidden Thunderbird Pro Stock kit for chassis etc..The top half of the Hemi.Is from a Die-cast Funny Car...(nitro ?)That I put on model kit block and transmission..She is painted" Purpl-licous"Metallic rattle can.And 3 coats of "Wetlook"clearcoat...The decals are from the Challenger the has a Viper engine in it.The only thing is...I think the Hemi is bigger than 512 c.i...
  1. Load more activity