Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's New '57 BelAir Convertible: Fixing the Funky Doortops!

Good info. Now I have done my learning for the day : )

Back on topic since I derailed it a bit, what has to be done to the door panels after that reshape on the body?

The top of the door panel will need to be reshaped in similar fashion. This will thin down the garnish molding at the top of the inner panel, which can be shaved off and replaced with some narrow half-round styrene strip.

Nope, hardtop, convertible and Nomads used a shorter windshield.

Sedans and regular wagons used a taller windsheid. Take it from someone who has first-hand dropped a tri-five hardtop windshield into a sedan (wrong windshield was delivered by accident) there's a big difference (about 4", IIRC).

Actually there are four different windshields between 55 56 and 57 hardtops and sedans.

55-56 sedans are all the same, 55-56 hardtop nomads and convertibles are the same, 57 sedans are all the same (but different from the 55-56) and 57 convertible hardtop and nomad are the same.

The 57 hardtop/conv/nomad windshield is 5/8 of an inch shorter than the sedan.

Edited by henry57

Nice, simple, helpful post - thanks!

Have you ever fixed the base of the C-pillar on the '62 Bel Air? Pretty much the same kind of process.

Chris...you are right on the money with this remark...this "error" in the ANT '62 Belo Air kit is very much in the same genre as the '57 Bel Air Convertible door belt line "error"

I did "correct" the Bel Air during my build, and IIRC I showed how I did it in my article on this kit in the other model car mag circa 1993 or so....a simple operation that pays big dividends in improved appearance.,....TIM ...

Chris & Tim, I had to dig that kit out of my stash to see what you're talking about. Looks like the corner where the beltline meets the C pillar is too sharp, where it should curve up to the pillar. That said, that kit has what's probably the best rendition of that roofline in scale. Much better than those in the Buick Invicta, Pontiac Bonneville, and '61 Impala annual kits or Lindberg's '61 Impala. It'll be interesting to see how Moebius fares with there upcoming '61 Ventura/Catalina kits. Having owned a '61 Catalina "sport coupe" I've got a stake in their success!

Can you guys post pix of yours with the fix?

I have the '62 Bel Air (several kits), and it looks as though AMT kicked up the beltline below the quarter window ever so slightly to meet the base of the C pillar, where there should be a little kick up as you mentioned John. In fact, that was a "signature" feature of all those '61 B-Body bubbletops (only Chevy continued this in '62). The C bodies had a similar roofline, but with sharp edge corners and I believe a slightly longer roof than the B bodies.

Yeah, I too hope that Moebius gets this feature correct on their '61 Pontiacs..............that's one of my favorite year Ponchos of the '60's (and also a birth year car! ;)).

Edited by MrObsessive

Before Tim chimes in with his great work, here's my amateur-hour effort:

14789293848_f3cf569694_c.jpg

Needs some finish sanding to even it up, but you get the idea. I cut down the top of the window opening to align straight across the door and carved out the little kickup. I also flattened the top of the quarter panel to keep it aligned with the window.

Similar deal on this '61 Pontiac, a convertible body with a '61 Bel Air roof transplant:

14972798921_b110e5c937_c.jpg

Again, this isn't finished, need to patch the rear molding; but the modification was the same.

14789213339_3869de664d_c.jpg

And finally here's the original '61 hardtop body; AMT didn't really get it right then either.

14789213669_aa69b2a408_c.jpg

Before Tim chimes in with his great work, here's my amateur-hour effort:

14789293848_f3cf569694_c.jpg

Needs some finish sanding to even it up, but you get the idea. I cut down the top of the window opening to align straight across the door and carved out the little kickup. I also flattened the top of the quarter panel to keep it aligned with the window.

Similar deal on this '61 Pontiac, a convertible body with a '61 Bel Air roof transplant:

14972798921_b110e5c937_c.jpg

Again, this isn't finished, need to patch the rear molding; but the modification was the same.

14789213339_3869de664d_c.jpg

And finally here's the original '61 hardtop body; AMT didn't really get it right then either.

14789213669_aa69b2a408_c.jpg

Chris...you've said it very well.....nothing further for me to add! TIM

Really? Danchuck lists one windshield and one weatherstrip for all models. I have no first hand experience though as I'm a ford guy lol

Well, sometimes even a company like Danchuck will get it wrong. The windshields are indeed different across the different body styles. I too, know this from experience.

I have never seen one kit absolutely correct and somebody will always find something wrong. Everybody should be happy that its not the late '60s or '70s when there were a lot of kits had problems that were unfixable.

It's even worse in model railroding where some people are called rivet counters.

I wonder how many buying this kit, would actually see the difference, not having read this thread ? <_<

If it hadn't been pointed out, I would not have noticed. I like MidnightProwler, think it looks close enough and if I buy the kit will leave well enough alone.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

One look and the curve is not smooth or a tapered radius.

It's a convertible, so you can see it plainly.

It's nearly 58 years old. Not like samples are hard to find. Blueprints probably even online.

It was delayed many months for an x-brace that shouldn't have been forgotten.

I'd pass on the xbrace, make my own, or leave off.

I looked at test shots, sighed. Checked fix, which is pretty easy save for inner door and doortop moldings which are incredibly visible, but doable.

Bought at HL after cancelling order online.

Opened box, body warped. Fairly easy to fix, but I have BRAND NEW kit that needs 30'+ to unwarp, then few hours to make corrections on body, interior panels, match side to side, and make new trim for body and interior from plastruct.

Even if you fix only the warp, it isn't surprise and delight. Surprise yes, happy to have kit finally, yes. Delighted with kit that isn't as nice as the snap ht from same company years ago which I could have converted far easier? Not.

Glad people happy, but it isn't correct, and it wouldn't have taken much to fix this, certainly in the time delayed and compared to tooling X-brace, it would entail sl. deeper cut in upper body edge for curve and sill molding, and sl deeper cut for interior panel and trim. No adding material, or fiddling.

No excuses.

Happy with burger you don't see hair in? Awesome. Find it, not so much.