Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever had a build you could not seem to get of your bench?

Have you ever had a build you could not seem to get of your bench? l am finishing up a 06 revell mustang gt and with regular things in life pulling me away and l have lost some interest, lts been on my table too long. So far no real issues but the time on and off causes me a loss of interest in this build. Was wondering if its something many builders go thru....??

yes, constantly. for instance, i have a johan superbird i am making a pro mod build out of, bought the new (at that time) soft seal 57 chevy to steal the chassis out of......... get the point. its not loss of interest at all, its the "start another one" syndrome!!!!

I have a 57 fairlaine i started as a prostreet project when my youngest was born 17 years ago. I take it out and modify it and build a little then put it back in box. I guess to many other ideas get started. Will finish one of these days. Maybe when the youngest moves out lol.

l have never lost interest in a build until this year. l must be getting picky because after l started it l lost interst in this kit but if l don't get it finished its going in the box and l have things l do have more interest in finishing...

there's a difference between:

1. Losing interest in a project and shelving it

2. Being technically overwhelmed / frustrated and shelving it

3. Being unable to make some final decisions so it sits until you get enlightened

4. Enjoying the build so much you are reluctant to finish it!

I have models in all four categories!

Category 1 of losing interest is universal. Every time I get a new idea on another kit I run this risk. I have a bunch of these!

Category 2 can be cured over time. For instance I have a '73 Barracuda I had shelved because I was unsure how to make drip rails. Now that I've learned to do that on several models since, I would be confident to pull this down from the shelf and do so.

Right now my Dodge Camper went from category 3 to 4. I got some help from others on the color issue and got it painted. Now I'm doing a little detail a day and dreaming up new details to keep the build alive. When I have a project like this one, I think about it when I'm not working on it and it makes me happy. Sometimes once a model is finished, I feel a sense of emptiness since it's over! Maybe I need to go on Dr Phil!

I keep my unfinished stuff in boxes on the shelves over my work bench so I have to look at them. No putting them in a deep dark closet to forget them! Every so often I'll rummage through the boxes and get interested in one. I'll complete some next step or detail, or see a solution I hadn't before. I sometimes do a few things and lose interest again, or I'll go all the way and finish it. Some of these are finished after a decade or more!

I realized that I needed to do something to get the unfinished projects off my shelf, so I started my Christmas Model Amnesty Program many years ago. I had the week between Christmas and New Years off at a company I used to work for, so just like the president will pardon a turkey for Thanksgiving, I'd choose a deserving model and actually finish it during this time period. I've managed to do this successfully many years, and failed on a few too!

only on my garage diorama , because i started a car build and had so much fun the diorama is still on hold

with cars (kits) i have never had that problem , i just build one project / kit at a time and only when its done i move on to the next ..

atm i have 4 new boxes waighting and every time i see them i think > hmm love to start one but i dont because i know i wont be interested enough in the current project

I have a different problem: I get bored on a build, so I move on to another. I then decide for the current build that I want a part from an unfinished build, so I take it. Then, when I go to do one of the unfinished builds, I have to figure out how to replace the part I took, which may mean taking from yet another unfinished build (or from an old build on my shelf). :blink:

I have been trying to get a Revell 2010 Camaro finished for the last three months or so, had to replace once, stripped the paint once on the replacement body, and then just got it repainted, to have ruined the paint job again :lol: , so two cans of Tamiya paint, and one emplacement body and I am pretty much back to where I started from