Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yeee Ha, look at 'em go

The way your search is set up I think your getting the wrong impression. Go to the page and in the upper right you will see a button labeled "advanced" click on it and scroll down the options and click on "sold" and that will tell you what people are actually getting. The kits are selling well and at a premium, but not really excessive. You can ask what ever you want, but the real price is what they are actually selling for. Good time to be dumping General lee stuff if you want to get rid of it.

The threat of scarcity is a much greater motivator in the market that actual scarcity itself. The dim bulb who thinks he is going to get a grand for the unpainted Ertl General Lee will be left standing on the platform long after the train roars out of town. I did a search for ones identical to his that had sold and there were several that were in the $250 or best offer that sold for best offer, which to me means less than $250. However this will only last until all the panic buyer are satisfied. Right now there are 100+ 1:18 Ertl General Lee Die cast on Ebay. Probably more than enough to satisfy the demand, so this will die off in a month or less unless something happens to stir it up again.

It was interesting to look at the plastic offerings. From April to June 24th there were perhaps 300 General Lee Plastic kits sold in the $18 to $25 range. On June 25th the price doubled and there have been in the range of 200 sold in the last two weeks. Now these are sold listings only. Yes, the panic is on, but I am betting that in three weeks it will be over and there will be a lot of people sitting out there wondering why they paid $50 for a plastic General Lee. Even if the plastic companies dump the flag or the kit, it won't be long before some aftermarket seller has a sheet for $10 or $15. You can always buy a 69 charger kit and a can of Hemi Orange and you are off to the races. The kit may die but I'm betting we will be seeing it on the contest tables for a long, long time.

Edited by Pete J.

You got that right. Case in point pet rocks.

I've often thought that one could sell some sort of useless goo in a plastic bladder printed with the message: "thank you for your purchase of useless goo, thereby affirming the notion that some people are stupid enough to buy anything" and people would buy it just because it's so true

I don't get why people are quick to buy the General Lee Kits at the ridiculous price there selling for. I think I read on another thread that MPC's Licensing for the General Lee won't expire till the end of the year so kits will be in production till then. If I'm wrong please tell me. I guess I can't justify spending 2 or 3xs the price for these kits.