Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newly reissued Revell BRE Datsun 510 Racecar kit

Ok I know this is the 510 kit review but after the answer to my last question and a statement by a nother builder. So as I see it datun had 210 honeybee 510 bluebird and the 240-80 fairlady Z other then the truck did they have any other models back then

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Are the tires in this kit newly created, or were these included in another kit or previous issues of the 510 kit?

10505568_898834540143243_913510060630401

Pretty sure those tires were included in the Tuner issue of the 510. They were made for a lowrider kit originally, don't remember which one came first but they were in the Fox-body Mustang convertible, Chevy Citation, '92 Thunderbird, and '92 Cougar.

• 2 weeks later...

Union Models 510 is the Revell Brock Buster kit that was last issued as the Tuner kit. The only difference is the box and instructions.

Was the Union version the most recent reissue before the Revell-Monogram (SSP?) reissue from 1996?

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

The MPC kit isn't all that bad, it just takes more effort to yield a good model. Here are two of the best examples I've ever seen of the kit built, both by builders out of Japan.The full write up is here, but it's all in Japanese.

905328_722994801052318_1901563871_o.jpg

1523996_719575521394246_1854236157_o.jpg

1781726_719548974730234_1001959912_o.jpg

Wow!!! These look really great, so much better than the one I built some years ago:

DSC00387.jpg

....general question to all of our esteemed members who own and know all about these 510 BRE kits.....is the 1996 issue better, worse, what,,,,compared to the 2014 issue, as the 96 issue seems to more expensive online, and,,,are the kits from 2014 rare, or truly getting rare,,i ask because I would like one, maybe two,,,and one of my LHS still has 2 on the shelf....opinions and answers much appreciated, please.........the ace........ :huh:

As I understand it, the 2014 issue was an SSP item; one production run, will not be restocked, and has already been dropped. I don't have the 1996 BRE issue (sold mine a while back) but as I remember, it had the two-piece tires from the original issue, but molded in a softer vinyl. The 2014 issue has one-piece tires, probably the same ones as were in the "tuner" issue I have now. In any event, if you want this kit and have access to them at a price you think reasonable...get them. No doubt it will surface again in the future, but who knows when, and at what price...

thanks, mark,,,i know that if anyone knows the score here, you are one of the fellas that would know. I think I will grab the 2 kits local I mentioned, as eventually I will build them. that TUNER version seems a lot harder to find too....were they in short supply back when issued.....thanks, the ace..... :o

The 90's re-issue came in the original style box, with the exception being the omission of the 2.5 Championship logo. The latest one has that awful Revell picture/art/photoshop mess with the picture being that of the restored car.

And from what I am hearing, the newer issue has better done decals and the one piece tires.

Original Issue

BRE_Datsun_510_Revell_H_1404_25th.jpg

1996 re-issue

RevellBRE510Lg.jpg

And the last issue

RMX-1445-2.jpg

And just for fun, the Union Japan kit from the late 80's early 90's

datsun%20510

And the Advent version

Advent_BRE_Datsun_Racer.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

The tuner issue is interesting; it has decals for the stock emblems. It would take a bunch of work to change this kit back to stock, but as I understand it most of these cars are now modified, stock ones aren't often seen. I'll probably stick the tuner together out of the box, maybe smoothing in the front fender flares that are molded in place but represent add-ons to the stock fenders. This is one of those kits that I didn't give a second look to in the past, but it seems to be very well done...

....I built the yellow Brock Buster version in the late 70s, and yet another in about 96-97 era, both long gone and sold back in the day....but they were a nice kit, looked great built, and a joy to build. never owned the race version, but think I will now..lol...the ace.. :P

Ive just received mine from the US, its the latest version that Revell have just discontinued, looks to be a great kit, and Im glad I got it when I did as they seem to be dissapearing fast .....not that they ever made it to the UK anyway !

You can count me among the "Not Shocked" crowd when this get reissued at the end of 2015 or early next year in a regular box the way the Black Widow recently did.

This kit "sold out" quickly, so there's still a market for them, and your "big box" places don't get to carry SSP releases.

• 3 years later...
On 1/30/2015 at 7:17 PM, Karl LaFong said:

Does the tuner version include the roll bar that is in the race versions?

No, most (all?) of the parts among this group are unique to the race version, and vice-versa for the Street/Tuner version:

DSCN4563-vi.jpg.eb3f43c9176ae08e00d2eeb56ea69d02.jpg

The "street" exhaust system is in the same location, but has an integrated muffler, there are two buckets seats instead of one racing seat, and so on.