Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the oldest build that you still have ?

cobraman

The oldest kit I built is I think is an old twin engine dragster, followed by my Johan 1969 Roadrunner.

I have whats left of a Barry Setzer Vega , ( found it also mixed in with some model bits and pieces long forgotten about )

Dragster, I don't remember when it was built ( I just found if a few years back with some other model parts thrown in a box .

Roadrunner was built back in the early 80's , I know it's not right, but I just don't have the heart to take it apart to correct it.

The Vega funnycar, I actually bought an unbuilt a few years ago and built it, not knowing I even still had this one . So I'll probably use this one for a different buildup.

DSC01959.JPG

DSC01960.JPG

DSC01961.JPG

This 61 Chevy truck is one of the first kits that I built and that I still have. I almost thru it away because I practically destroyed it back in the day by stripping the paint off with a butter knife. :angry:

DSC03752.jpg

Well, I didn't throw it away and here is what it looks like today.

DSC04464.jpg

I have a few of the kits that I built back in the early 60's to the late 60's. Also I have three that I built while on Okinawa in the early 70's. :) Dan

I have lost most of mine from a fire to a move to just tossing them out,but I have a few stragglers,these two are probably my oldest that's left from the early 90's.............Boy I wish I still had my old ones...... :mellow:

049.jpg

and...........

033.jpg

Edited by Badluck 13

I think this is my oldest surviving build, from '92-'94...or so?

53stude1.jpg

The front bumper is still loose, and those Fred Cady "salt spray" decals were state of the art back then, due in part to Rocky Robertson's use of those graphics on his Pro Street V6 Buick LeSabre.

Front and rear suspension is from the Revell '69 Z/28 Camaro kit, the engine from Revell's "Chopped Deuce" kit, wheels and tires from the Monogram '65 Shelby GT350-R kit, and bucket seats and B&M shifter from the Revell Pro Street Lincoln LSC kit (I think). Testors gloss red enamel on the body.

53stude4.jpg

53stude3.jpg

Both are at my Mom's displayed in her china hutch. A Monogram '40 Ford pickup the turquoise one, built it with my uncle before he was drafted '66 or '67 I think. The other is an IMC VW Bug built as the gasser of course, one of the first unassisted spray jobs, took about 50 million coats of pale yellow to cover the red plastic body. ( "Primer what's that?") Also have a Fiat Topolino body minus hood from the original issue of the double dragster kit, brittle!

Most everything else didn't escape the frequent car fires and "mob" bombings (firecrackers). Still have a very serious burn scar between the web of my little and ring fingers from a Monogram Little T, does that count?

Mine is now the 61 Chevy Impala that I did for Boyd Coddington in spring of 07. I started building models in 03 and since I was able to get this car back to be after he passed away in 2009 and rebuilt it twice since then to keep it nice and clean looking. I sold my first ever car did two months ago to a friend who collects willys and that was a 41 chop top custom.

The oldest build of mine that I have is an AMT '64 Mercury convertible.Originally painted in combination of red and orange metalflake(done by holding one can of each color in my two hands and spraying them simultaneously)I repainted it(badly) in green Pactra metalflake(directly over the red/orange,no sanding.I was 10,what did I know?)and hand painted the interior in Testor's yellow enamel.That's how it exists today.I'm often tempted to strip it and re-do it but,like some for others here,it's an example of my old time model building and I hesitate to alter it even as bad as it looks.

I also have some old builds from a collection I got from a friend of mine.The oldest there are a '60 Ford pickup(with trailer) and an original issue '60 Ford Starliner.

My oldest surviving build is from my second return to my favorite hobby.

Built in 1977, this is a replica of the first-in engine I served on as I began my firefighting career in '75.

Manitou4001-vi.jpg

It's a replica of a 1969 American LaFrance Series 900 open cab 750gpm pumper. Roof removed from an AMT kit. Kitbashed beacon and some scratchbuilt appliances.

Manitou4003-vi.jpg

More scratchbuilt appliances, including the wye fitting on the compartment body shelf. Shoelace hose lay, and electrical wire booster lines.

Manitou4002-vi.jpg

Yep. Individual letters cut one at a time from the AMT decal sheet. There weren't aftermarket decal purveyors, ALPS printers, custom decal techniques with home printers, or any of the things we take for granted today. The ALF emblem was dry-brushed with silver bottlepaint.

Manitou4004-vi.jpg

More dry brushing (gauges).

I still have this rig in the depicted condition. I occasionally drag it out for a model show, just for kicks.

It still excites the kids and fire buffs!

B)

Edited by Danno

Showing old builds? I can do that. :)

This one was originally built in mid 1970 something. It was the picture box issue with lots of decals. In 1978 it got painted yellow and the hemi was installed. The tires stuck out in the rear and it had a snorkel scoop. In 1984 in one afternoon it got updated with a narrowed rear end and aluminum interior just to se if I could do it. It's pretty rough.

Thames1LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thames2LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scott