Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chevy Wagon

James2

A pretty quick build, not quite finished but enough to share here. 

Jimmy Flintstone resin body, Model railroad paint using salt and water color to get the patina effect.

Original Craftsman glass, chassis and tub.

Pegasus wheels

BMF, scoffed for patina effect.

I used the original tail light but have ordered the four light bumper from Modelhaus. When it arrives I'll replace this one and detail the interior also.

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.e7319406a82d596b7e14b

IMG_1167.thumb.JPG.7ef6ce4b7eeac0e673531

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.128d84b62590fa2e76b05

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.15a17a94091418de8e517

Thanks for looking comments welcome.

Looks great overall.  Nice choice of rolling stock and the weathering... while a little harsh is still believable.

My only suggestion (not a criticism exactly) but the windshield glass is too thick to be convincing. 
One suggestion is to vacuum form that piece with thinner material.
But the easier option is to mask off the wiper tracks and hit it with a bit of dull coat or light tan.
(In the past we used Floquil "dust" but that doesn't exist any longer.)

Very cool James!

Reminds me a bit of a car I just saw this morning.

Someone had started with a Pontiac wagon & grafted a GTO front clip to it, then added rally wheels & Judge striping.

The GTO front end looked a little strange with all of that sheet metal & glass behind it, but it was definitely different. :)

Nice work!

Steve 

Also... adding people to the front seat helps.
Never understood why nobody adds figures to their builds as it provides tons more realism to the image than getting the firing order on the 283 correct.

I think it's because it takes a lot of skill to paint a believable figure, especially at 1/24 - 1/25.  I've seen many models that in the right setting are hard to tell from 1:1, but I've never seen a scale figure that wasn't instantly recognizable as a model.  If anyone could pull it off, however it's you! :)  That wagon is very cool, BTW!

Edited by bbowser

But the easier option is to mask off the wiper tracks and hit it with a bit of dull coat or light tan.
(In the past we used Floquil "dust" but that doesn't exist any longer.)

In place of the Floquil "dust",  do the same thing with Testors DullCote.  It gives that translucent grime look to plastic kit glass.

Thank you all for the interest and comments I do appreciate them. 

Glass is always a concern for realism, but it is a model and i'm not trying to hide that fact. Modelhaus has vacu windows available but again it is a model. Dust on the window would be cool except I just got done cleaning them.

As for figures, I have done drivers  before but only in a race car that depicted action. When you go to a 1:1 car show, rarely do you see people sitting in the car. Most often they are lined up behind the cars in camp chairs trying their best not to talk to anyone!

I like doing the rusty look and wish I did not use so much light color under the green, but like so many things I live and learn. This is not what I imagined when I started this build, although I do like the way it turned out. Sometimes it is best to let the creative juices flow and see where they lead! 

• 3 weeks later...