Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Willys Custom - Finished

victorylane

Hi All,

I've been building a Custom Willys from the AMT '40 Willys tilt-nose Gasser kit, and taking photos along the way. It isn't finished yet, although posting this may get me moving. Hope you like it. Here goes:

55e28579732c4_AMT_Tilt-Nose_40_Willys_Ga

Edited by victorylane
Re-title

I chopped the top, Moving it forward a bit on the A pillars. I then added some material at the rear fascia below the trunk...the rear end of the Gasser looked bobbed.4_Chopped_Willys.thumb.jpg.b3a816275ce265_Chopped_Willys.thumb.jpg.160acad0d96b23_Chopped_Willys.thumb.jpg.bdf92f7189928

You can see the material at the bottom of the trunk...I like it. I'm not so sure about the chop though, as I cut through the windows...gonna' have to fix that.

I then roughed in a pair of skirts.

I'm changing the top.

Thank goodness I had an extra coupe body from a Club Member that had built the pick-up from the kit instead of the coupe.

I'm cutting the windows out as a wedge, and will cut them in to my recently chopped top, getting full windows and a nicer slope as well

6 Chopped Willys.jpg

7 Chopped Willys.jpg

8 Chopped Willys.jpg

Front fenders are now ready to attach.

I glued some plastic stock inside the fender to strengthen the joint where the fender separated, making sure the fenders were straight and level. (Took a couple of tries.)

I like the way the chop and the skirts are coming together.

The hood looks like a big nose...hope it is just a bad angle, but a little fitting to do still.

14 Chopped Willys.jpg

15 Chopped Willys.jpg

16 Chopped Willys.jpg

17 Chopped Willys.jpg

I love it when the colour goes on!

I decanted and air-brushed Tamiya TS20 metallic green.

I will clear coat it with their clear, decanted and air-brushed.

I am quite happy with the shape of the body, and can't wait to see this up on wheels..

My next post will be about getting the car to sit low...altering the chassis, sectioning the interior, and channeling the body. 

Thanks for looking in,

Brian

20 Chopped Willys.jpg

21 Chopped Willys.jpg

22 Chopped Willys.jpg

Thanks Bill, I was hoping for that swoopy Zephyr look.

Next up was to section the interior so I could bring the chassis up into the body. The stock interior is beside the sectioned one, and the change gave me the room I needed for the chassis.

I used smaller bucket seats and it looks proportional, but Oops...The finished interior still shows the section line, which I was going to place a trim line over. (but obviously did not) Shoot.

23 Chopped Willys.jpg

24 Chopped Willys.jpg

25 Chopped Willys.jpg

Thanks Wayne, Ken, Ray,

Next was getting the chassis lowered. The Gasser has curved springs sitting high on their perches. I shortened the springs and relaxed their curvature, getting them closer to the chassis.

26 Chopped Willys.jpg

27 Chopped Willys.jpg

28 Chopped Willys.jpg

Edited by victorylane
Spelling

I installed the interior and frame up into the body...In the one photo, you can see how far up into the body they are...I'd like to get this sitting low.

I'm really happy with the look of the wheels and rubber. The wheels are stock wheel covers from the AMT Cameo Pickup...cool eh?

The tires are equally cool, beautifully done from Modelhaus. They will push the car a little taller than I wanted, but I like the look.

29 Chopped Willys.jpg

30 Chopped Willys.jpg

31 Chopped Willys.jpg

Thanks Chris, Bob, Pat, Wes, Tom and Tom. Tom, I like it, and like what you've done with the hood.

The '40 Willys had a straight-four in it, so I want to use a four as well, just not a flathead. I've modified the chevy stovebolt 6 from the AMT '37 Chev coupe into a straight four.

I just felt like it.

Chopped Willys 32.jpg

Chopped Willys 33.jpg

Chopped Willys 34.jpg

I want to add a few modest speed equipment items, so will start with a header.

This header came from my parts box, so I don't know what it is from.

I bent it, puttied it, and chromed it before adding a little heat staining. Am still trying to figure out that less is more with the heat staining stuff, but am learning.

Chopped Willys 36.jpg

Chopped Willys 37.jpg

Chopped Willys 38.jpg