Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel Blitz "DAK" style

DAK being an acronym for Deutches Afrikakorps.

Tell me you don't hear the theme from "Indiana Jones" when looking at this.

I used the old Italeri 1/24th scale civilian Opel Blitz. I had to add the military headlight covers. I custom mixed Tamiya acrylics to replicate period correct "tropical" colors. The crates are resin items from ValueGear in 1/20 and 1/16 scale but look right at home here. I made the pallet with coffee stir sticks pilfered from a local chain beverage company. I scanned a lot of clipart and printed my own decals. The first set looked good applied over a gloss coat but silvered greatly once the dull coat was applied. Not happy with the colors anyway I stripped and repainted all but two.

I'm looking for some figures and then will model a desert base. I'm thinking that Master Box set of Henry Ford and friends will convert quite well.

G

Thanks guys.

James I'm looking at all sorts of possibilities and Tamiya is one for sure. They made figures to coincide with the large scale armor kits they used to produce.

Bruce the hood is removable. I cut it from the cowl and added a strip of styrene to the rear. 

G

Edited by Agent G

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all!

Ok, here's a photo from the interweb of the set I purchased. 

icm-24003_henry-ford_04-972x648.thumb.jp

Here's the guy in bib overalls as of today.

He has a holstered pistole, P08.....

And a new cap got some detail. The cap, feldmutze, courtesy of a 1/24th scale Hasegawa SS trooper. 

The Gestapo guy is next......

G

Beautifully done and the boxes look great, too. I've found a little typo on the big box that you may want to correct for accuracy.

"Nicht offen" means "not open" or "closed". "Nicht öffnenwould be the correct labeling for "do not open". Apart from this minor glitch, it's a top notch Blitz.