Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car song builds ?

I picked up a restorable built JoHan '62 some years ago, so I got that covered. Couldn't you go as late as '64? I thought '64 was the last year for the 413, but I could be wrong about that.

BTW, I've read several magazine articles where they run this race in real life, and the 413 always handily puts the Vette away. Always. Not even close. If I ever build this, I'm thinking of giving the Vette a set of full-race Hilborns to try to even things up. Hey, it would still be a "fuel-injected Sting Ray," right? B)

61 and 62 were the only years for the SS Dodge Dart. But in my book and since I would be doing myself a 64 would work very well , then I could even use for "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" . 

For the Vette if a few Guys ran Hilborns on street cars , go for it 

I've always wanted to build a car inspired by White Zombie's song Black Sunshine, only not a 64-65 Mustang like in the video, but something more beefy like a 69 Mach1 or some such thing... Shame the Revell kit is so incorrect :(

"Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire.

The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45.
True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night.

This is black sunshine..."

61 and 62 were the only years for the SS Dodge Dart. But in my book and since I would be doing myself a 64 would work very well , then I could even use for "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" . 

For the Vette if a few Guys ran Hilborns on street cars , go for it 

Paint the Dodge bright red and it'll do you double duty. B)

As for Hilborns on the street, I saw a few back in the day. Not in person, of course, but in Car Craft and the Joe Oldham magazines. Serious street rats.

How about that Nash Rambler song. Can't recall the name. Beep, beep, beep , beep his horn went beep, beep, beep.

Speaking of Ramblers, there was a band called "Diesel" back in the 80s that had a semi hit called "Sausalito Summer Night" That had a large portion of the song devoted to traveling across country in a Rambler.

Steve

61 and 62 were the only years for the SS Dodge Dart.

Oh, and wasn't "Super Stock" the Plymouth trademark in those days, the Dodge equivalent being "Ramcharger"?

Kinda like those "fuelie heads" on Springsteen's 396, huh? B)

Edited by Snake45

The "Snake" mentioned a red Dodge made me think of the song about "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" in her shine red Super Stock Dodge. I think that Dodge used that song in a lot of their adds around 1962 thru 1964. That could be an easy build.

A few decades ago, our model club made a list of car songs and passed the 200 mark :) 

This is my version of the 'Little Deuce Coupe', copied from a Beach Boys t-shirt many years ago....flathead mill, lake pipes, just like the song...I gave this to a local car club when they turned 50.

The 1964 JoHan is a 'shiny red superstock Dodge from 'The Little Old Lady From Pasadena'. 

Lastly, the Testors Dodge police car is painted to resemble a modern day 'Blues Brothers' car. 

Models 2009 119.jpg

JoHan 1964 Dodge Polara lf.jpg

12 Hour 004.jpg

Oh, and wasn't "Super Stock" the Plymouth trademark in those days, the Dodge equivalent being "Ramcharger"?

Kinda like those "fuelie heads" on Springsteen's 396, huh? B)

Yeah, I imagine Springsteen didn't know the difference between a big block and a small block.  Artistic license.  My '64 Impala had an SB (327) w/fuelies (the engine was swapped out from a wrecked Corvette and the fuel injection was replaced with Holley/Edelbrock induction), headers, an M-21, Torque Thrusts, Cali rake, rolled and pleated interior (bench seat car) and a zillion coats of black lacquer, etc.  Sure wish I had kept those cars!

For your favorite Jo-Han, Precision Miniatures etc. hearse model.  "I'm gonna ride to your funeral, daddy, in a black Cadillac..."

Joyce Green wrote and recorded this amazing piece of rockabilly in 1958, when she was 19. And never did anything else. According to the internet, she's still alive and living in Arkansas.

Edited by Mike999
Omission

For your favorite Jo-Han, Precision Miniatures etc. hearse model.  "I'm gonna ride to your funeral, daddy, in a black Cadillac..."

Joyce Green wrote and recorded this amazing piece of rockabilly in 1958, when she was 19. And never did anything else. According to the internet, she's still alive and living in Arkansas.

You could use this kit blac.thumb.jpg.b84a41264840adab8f38224bf

Build up like thisblack1.thumb.JPG.781ed1dde70cd184b45a809And also use it for "Shut Down"

I've sometimes thought of attempting this! :lol:

Since I'm a trucker and have always had a soft spot in my heart for a fancy, chromed out rig with all the extra lighting we call "chicken lights", I've often thought of building a lipstick red two stack Mack like this song describes, dressed in a lot of chicken lights and chrome!:D

Maybe also use the Vette for "Dead Mans Curve" of course you would need another XKE

Not a huge fan of that song. But maybe I could use the Vette also for Don Henly's "Heavy Metal." The song just mentions a "clean Corvette," no year, color, engine, etc. specified.

Of course, if I paint the Vette red, I can get Prince into the act. B)

"The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" sounds like an interesting car song project. My question is the lyrics of Jan & Dean`s song which was released in 1964 (later recorded the Beach Boys 1966) they never truly stated which model Dodge or engine displacement the little old lady was terrorizing Colorado Boulevard in.

Little Old Lady From Pasadena lyrics

It's the little old lady from Pasadena...

The little old lady from Pasadena
(Go granny, go granny, go granny, go)
Has a pretty little flowerbed of white gardenias
But parked in a rickety old garage

Is a brand-new, shiny red, super-stock Dodge

The song doesn't mention the model make or engine, only that it's was a 'Super Stock Dodge". So, in order to match the Jan and Dean song which full size 1964 Dodge are they talking about?  I`m assuming it was either  a 330, 440 or 500 Polara.  And ,I assume the power plant was 426 Stage II/Stage III "Max Wedge". All input, insight, feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

"The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" sounds like an interesting car song project. My question is the lyrics of Jan & Dean`s song which was released in 1964 (later recorded the Beach Boys 1966) they never truly stated which model Dodge or engine displacement the little old lady was terrorizing Colorado Boulevard in.

Little Old Lady From Pasadena lyrics

It's the little old lady from Pasadena...

The little old lady from Pasadena
Has a pretty little flowerbed of white gardenias
But parked in a rickety old garage

Is a brand-new, shiny red, super-stock Dodge

The song doesn't mention the model make or engine, only that it's was a 'Super Stock Dodge". So, in order to match the Jan and Dean song which full size 1964 Dodge are they talking about?  I`m assuming it was either  a 330, 440 or 500 Polara.  And ,I assume the power plant was 426 Stage II/Stage III "Max Wedge". All input, insight, feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

Well since the song came out in 64 the 65 Coronet Super Stock is out. That would leave your choice of either a 61-62  Dart , 63 330 or the 64 Coronet. There may be others , I am still researching them

Not a huge fan of that song. But maybe I could use the Vette also for Don Henly's "Heavy Metal." The song just mentions a "clean Corvette," no year, color, engine, etc. specified.

Of course, if I paint the Vette red, I can get Prince into the act. B)

Don Felder , not Don Henley.  Sammy Hagar did the other version. 

Don Felder , not Don Henley.  Sammy Hagar did the other version. 

You are correct, of course. I always get those two mixed up.

And in the movie, the Corvette doesn't appear with song (a B-17 does). The Corvette sequence is to "Radar Rider."

There is an alternate version of Little Old Lady From Pasadena that has extra lyrics in that does state that the cars is 426 4 speed. The go something along the lines of this;

Ypu can see her on the street just gettin' her kicks now. Go granny go granny go granny go

With a 4 speed stick and 426 now

go granny go granny go granny go

She's gonna get a ticket now sooner or later

'Cause she can't keep her foot off the accelerator!

Thank folks for the assistance.

Then the Lindbergh `64 Dodge 330 Polara, Color Me Gone, Ramcharger or Maverick kits would be a good base to start a build from as well as the Jo-Han `64 Dodge Super Stock kit.

_s-l225.thumb.jpg.ed68e062f5711c40a51f2ama536jLweiY_5eZd1aC5n6g.thumb.jpg.d6d717s-l225.thumb.jpg.cf1c7a0831287a48a59f40fm67hAm7Dulqw5JZ6G5_dZTA.thumb.jpg.8a156aJoHan1964DodgePolara.thumb.jpg.b5dd770da

Hummm...I feel a project in the making.

Edited by 69NovaYenko