Model Cars Magazine Forum

RM2, with AMT's great '53 Studebaker and Avanti maybe there's room in between for a Golden Hawk ?

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't mind seeing a '62-'64 Gran Turismo Hawk.  To my eyes anyway, it looks right without taking anything away from the original '53 design.  Most of the time, either the first version of a particular car is the definitive one, or one of the later versions improves on it and becomes the "best" version.  Somehow, with the Studebaker, both the '53 and '62-'64 versions look "right" ...

Well call me weird, but I happen to like the finned '57-'61 Hawks best of all. Probably because as a kid (I mentioned this in another thread) I got to ride in one regularly, and it looked just like the one Greg pictured. Unfortunately, I don't see Round 2 ever doing this car-----I have yet to see them tool up a new anything! The reissues are nice with the great box art, and the restoration of missing parts, but that only will work for so long. 

Moebius may be the one out of all of 'em that may bring this one out. There's a lot that could come from this one........the hardtop '57-'58 Golden Hawk, the pillared '57-'61 Hawks, even the '62-'64 GT Hawks could be done without a lot of major changes. Speaking of the later GT Hawks, they were not bad cars, but to my eyes the roofline always seemed to overwhelm the rest of the car due to those really broad C-pillars. I get what Stude was trying to do with what they had, but the roof just seemed to "take over" the rest of what was really a nicely updated car.

Now if Moebius does tool up a new Hawk, that frees me up from having to restore this!

P3262296.jpg

P3262297.jpg

Built in the late '90's and then wrecked by a 22 lb. cat a few years later, this has been on my to-do pile for years. I'll get the ambition to get 'er all rebuilt, and then a kit will come out! :blink:

Edited by MrObsessive

Bill, you show us a picture of a model of a Studebaker Hawk, and tell us nothing, other than the model was damaged by a 22 pound cat and needs restoration. That's kind of mean. I personally want to know more about the above model.

As I said before, I'd welcome just about any Studebaker model kit. The order of what I'd like to see: 1. A 1964 Daytona convertible (2-door hardtop or 4-door wagon would be okay too). 2. A '62, '63, or '64 Gran Tursimo Hawk. 3. A 1951 Commander Starlight coupe. 4. A '58 Packard Hawk. (Okay not really a Studebaker nameplate wise. But, a Stude none the less.) And 5th on my list, a '57 or '58 Golden Hawk, as seen above.

i think of the ones I want, the Golden Hawk would be the one for some model company to do first. Follow that with the Gran Turismo. Then the '51. I don't know how well the Packard Hawk and '64 Daytonas would go over.

Bill, you show us a picture of a model of a Studebaker Hawk, and tell us nothing, other than the model was damaged by a 22 pound cat and needs restoration. That's kind of mean. I personally want to know more about the above model.

OK, I had assumed that most had seen it before since I've posted it elsewhere in the past! ;)

Kinda hard to remember all of the details as I built this starting in mid '97 and finished it sometime in early '98. I started with AMT's '53 Starliner, and pretty much all the mods were done with sheet plastic, putty, and some superglue. I do remember tracing the fins on paper so that both sides would be symmetrical, and the doors needed to have the "swoosh" taken out of them as starting with the '56's, Hawks didn't have the swoosh in the doors. 

The hood was mostly scratchbuilt as you can see by all the patchwork done on it, and the front and rear bumpers were modified to closely match the ones for '57-'58. The interior IMO leaves a lot to be desired as I had to modify the seat patterns to resemble a '58, and didn't look as nice if I were to do them again today. The dash was modified as well as scratchbuilt door panels. The trunk was modded from the '53 to be more like the boxy '56-'64 Hawks.

Here are a few more pics that are in my one Fotki album.............

P3262300.jpg

P3262302.jpg

P3262298.jpg

P3262299.jpg

P3262301.jpg

One of these days (unless a kit comes out beforehand), I'd like to get back to redoing this one. Of course, I'd take apart everything, strip it down, redo the interior and pretty much re-engineer the whole thing to how I want it to be today.

Edited by MrObsessive

I'm a huge fan of Studebaker Hawks - all years. A few years ago I started a '56 Golden Hawk but got frustrated and set it aside. Maybe it will re-emerge (kinda like Godzilla!) in the near future but a kit of any Hawk would be welcome to me. I tried to order the Missing Link '59 Silver Hawk back in December but it was out-of-production due to molds needing maintenance. They were supposed to e-mail me if it became available again but I haven't heard anything.

Anyway, I don't think Round 2 will create the new tooling needed to turn the '53 into a Golden Hawk. It's just not what they do. But every time Studebakers are mentioned on the forum there seems to be more interest. I have a funny feeling that it might be reaching the kind of critical mass that gets Moebius paying attention.