Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Talbot-Lago Record Kustom Paint is on!!

Bumblebi

Here's something I've been working on and off on for the past six months, based on the Heller 1950 Talbot-Lago Record. This is a kit which has been in my stash for a year or so, was part of an auction of eleven kits that I won. I had no idea what I wanted to do with it until I found the roof from an AMT 1957 Ford T-bird.

Started with just a mock-up with tape...

20151124_172645_zpszl4ytmte.jpg

20151124_172649_zpsqb34vm2m.jpg

20151124_175258_zpsolw5knrw.jpg

20151124_175308_zpsorzwqycd.jpg

And got the roof crafted on and the paint on the body stripped.

20151125_211812_zpsiiajdix0.jpg

20151125_211817_zpsvocpgmpj.jpg

20151125_211837_zpsr4ql8jpl.jpg

More is coming....

Edited by Bumblebi

Fenderskirts were added. 

After the roof and the fenderskirts were blended into the body nicely, I shot the body with some primer, and this is where I'm at at the moment. There are a few places on the body which needs some more finishing, but so far so good!

Now this is looking interesting :)

Awesome :D 

That roofline works remarkably well on the Talbot, much better than it did on the 'Bird.

Indeed, I was very pleased when I mocked it up!

Edited by Bumblebi

gorgeous !!!!

Looking good !

Thank you very much! I hope that the color I'm thinking of will enhance the nice shapes; candy red.

Will be using a nice copper base with transparent red rear-light shading, and of course clear coat on top of that.

Though I'm not a rod/custom fan, this one looks terrific with excellent choices. That top is great, and I love the fender skirts. I just wish the front end wasn't lowered that much. What color do you have in mind? To me, it looks like it wants to be a metallic purple, but that's just me.

Edited by sjordan2

• 5 months later...

After five months in hibernation, I've finally made some progress on my Talbot Lago.

All the uneven and bad places has been fixed, and another coat of primer is almost ready to go on finally. Im aiming to have this one finished in time for BUCK here in Sweden, which is held on the 29th of October, so that's my deadline. 

Here's some progress photos... 

Filling the holes for the extra headlights and smoothing it out. I used 0.8 mm styrene sheets for covering the hole, and a mixture of styrene shavings and styrene glue as filler.

Rear is being finished. A lot of uneven places here so some sanding and filling was needed.

The part where the roof meets the windscreen caused me some problems since they are so very different, but after a lot of sanding and filling, it's turned out pretty good. Also visible is the small piece of the door that's missing, so had to fill it up.

Now I've only got a little more sanding to do on the body, and then it's off to primer. The work on the interior and the chassis has both been started, but no photos of that yet..