Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Belvedere

berr13

Kit looks great after spending sometime looking at it . The only thing I have really noticed thus far is the panel lines are not scribed all that well. They appear that they will be lost under a heavy coat of primer, paint and clear. Will need to be scribed deeper prior to paint.

Got mine yesterday shipped over to me in the UK, looks like a fantastic kit. Unfortunately mine has a very warped body and a missing decal sheet. .....very dissapointed, I've contacted Moebius I hope they can help out. 

Edited by Mr Stock

Got mine yesterday shipped over to me in the UK, looks like a fantastic kit. Unfortunately mine has a very warped body and a missing decal sheet. .....very dissapointed, I've contacted Moebius I hope they can help out. 

Well I have to give full credit to Moebius. I emailed them refrence the warped body and missing decals and Frank from Moebius sent me a very prompt reply, saying that If I paid postage over to the UK he would send the parts out to me, the postage was very resonable,not that it mattered either way as the shipping was refunded by Glen at Burbanks.

Great result all round !

• 2 weeks later...

I called them about the faint and some cases missing panel lines Wednesday March 27. I was told that the factory is aware of the issue and in not so many words have fun fixing our screw up. That the next production run SHOULD have that taken care of. So after an hour or so I have more than half of the car done. I would expect this feom an AMT reissue not a new kit. Thats my two cents and sorry for venting.

I just got the Belvedere I yesterday and the body is warped also. This made me look at the Satellite that I was getting ready to build. The body is also warped and the door seems are just about as bad as the Belvedere.  

How and why are they warping so badly?

Can't speak for Moebius specifically, but if the sprues and bodies are packaged too quickly without having enough time to cool out of the mold, warpage becomes an issue.

My Belvedere is very warped as well. It was really jammed in the box. I wrote to them and even offered to pay the postage. The response I got was, build the model. When you put it all together it should straighten the body out. If it doesn't, let us know and we'll take you up on your offer to pay the postage. That's the jist of it anyway. Like i'm going to go to all the work of prepping, priming, painting a body then assembling it all just to find out - nope it's not going to straighten out.

I remember when Monogram kits in the 80's were plagued with warpage problems ! I don't know how many 1986 Monte Carlo kits I bought that had warped chassis , interior 'bucket' , and , to a lesser-extent , bodies . To their credit , they sent replacement parts with zero problems .

Revell kits in the 90's were coming with warped bodies , too . Not all of them ; specifically , the (first issue) Sox & Martin 1967 'RO23' Belvedere . I received two replacement bodies "just in case" , and both were good .

Too bad about Moebius' kits having warping issues . As gman stated : not enough cool down time is being alloted before boxing / packing the product(s) . That's exactly why Monogram and Revell kits were warping .

Aren't the Moebius kits packaged here in the US??

Sent from China as Crates of bagged parts, and boxed here?

Aren't boxes and Instructions printed here??

Too warm plastic would NOT account for warping then.

Too tight a Packing would though.

Wouldn't they have to pay Import tarriffs on complete kits ready to sell?

Isn't that why Tamiya, Fujimi, Heller, Rev-Germany etc are so expensive??

The box for the Satellite and Belvedere is chock full of plastic, that said my Satellite body is as straight as an arrow, the Belvedere had a huge twist to it and I got it replaced by Moebius...however.......

Now I know some will say we shouldnt have to do this for a new kit, but I decided to have a go at straightening the warped Belvedere body with hot water and sure enough it worked a treat. I dipped the front end in hot nearly boiling water for 10-15 seconds took it out corrected the warp and put under a cold tap, that body is now also perfect.

None of this will help with the shallow panel lines though Lol !!

Russ, yes correct the warp after you remove it from the hot water, make sure the twist is corrected by putting it on a flat surface and then straight under a running cold tap that will set the plastic, you have to do all this pretty fast but it does work.

Just dont leave it in the hot water for any more than 10-15 seconds otherwise it will go into warp space 9 !! and youll never correct it.

I got 2 of these kits. One the body is perfectly straight. The other is warped beyond repair. Moebius needs to make the boxes a little bit bigger. Other then that they look great. Panel lines are a little light But I'll rescribe them anyways so it's not a big deal.