Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

• 2 weeks later...

John, Chris, Brad, Foxer & Danno I thank you guys for the comments. It provides motivation & encouragement that I'm heading down the right path.  Glad you like it.  

Dave, "tension", I laughed.  Gotta love a pun.

Pete, been a week now,  share some pics please.........

Good news yesterday wherein my doctor took x-rays & showed  no tear in my right shoulder rotator-cuff.  I had surgery for it years ago and I thought I tore it again. So a few weeks of physical therapy and all better.  Today I sat down and made the front motor mounts, the tolerances were silly.  They look pretty simple but the angles etc. were interesting when I drew it up. Drawing & machining them was about 5 hours all in.  I was relieved when I parted them off and saw how well they fit the chassis/engine.  Now I can prep & paint the manifold so I can get a bunch of these things installed on the engine once and for all.  Cheers guys!! 

DSC 0016

DSC 0022

Edited by Codi

• 5 weeks later...

Well, not sure how much of an update this will appear to be.  I've had about half my normal bench time this past month and I got way into the weeds on brackets, throttle linkage, hard fuel lines (and of course how to make them so they look somewhat as nice as Chris & John Teresi's).  Ventured into paint as the weather has been nice here for it and I took one of the earlier Bantam bodies to experiment on.  Messed around too with getting some final colors for various components to paint like the trans, brake calipers, the crower 8-port which I've decided not to plate afterall, headers & blower manifold.  I did a reasonable facsimile of the bolts that hold the butterflies onto the throttle linkage.  Lastly, I'm posting a pic of the Hemi Colt I'm going to do down the road. The body has been modified to start by narrowing the body by 7.0mm and shortening it by 8.0mm.  Lots more to do to it but the biggest cuts are done as I wanted to see if the 20+ year old model body was something that would work.  I'll share more when the day comes to create a separate thread for it.  Now I've got to get the parts painted so I can work on them over the fall & winter so I just have to paint the frame & body next spring.   A full mock-up in the coming months will be forthcoming before final assembly.  cheers, tim

Just some of the brackets made and selected PE components. I want to thank Randy D. for the insights to the .2mm spring wire for the throttle cable. That stuff is great.  The hard lines are only in their holes for mock-up and are not permanently attached yet and their fittings are missing in this pic.

DSC 0008

Some of the paint tests I messed around with.  Most of what you see are Alclad 2 and Gravity paints.

DSC 0025

I'm no John Teresi.  I have great ambitions for the paint but I can only chew off so much with my level of painting abilities.  The body in these pics has not been cleared. I went more traditional (conservative) on the color combo as the build is supposed to represent the mid-70's.  Alclad Candy Red & their Pale Gold.  I'm anxious to see how it pops once I put some clear over it.  The gold is a flat finish in it's natural state.  In the photo above of the spoons, in the last row you can see a two-tone spoon that was clear coated.  This stuff went down super nice and I did the whole thing in about an hour.  The masking took longer.    The spoon in the foreground will be the color of the crower 8 port. 

DSC 0018

DSC 0043

DSC 0054

The Hemi Colt...............

DSC 0006

Gorgeous mock up my friend,  just GORGEOUS!!!!!!   Awesome color combo.

Love the progress on the crower with the cable and hard lines.

Thank you for the update, It will hold me over for a bit:D 

Randy

P.S.   Can't wait to see what you do to that Colt.   Our first new car 40 years ago was a Colt ! My wife fell in love with a white one with Levi blue jean interior.

Edited by Randy D

Randy, please tell me that the Colt is still in the family.  If not, I'm willing to bet that you wish it was.  Just spent time gawking over your GT40 thread again and my attempts are "close" but yours are just truly spot on.  You've got the benchmark set and retired.  

Brad, if I never see another plastic spoon in my life, it will be fine with me.  :)   Colors are now set and I'm getting parts prepped for paint in the coming days.  Finally. 

Joe, thanks, I'm going to start a separate spoon thread. Wait till you see the awesome scratch-building involved.  I have gotten quite proficient in changing paint colors and learned a lot more about using a dual action air brush. 

Dave, thanks sir.......I've said before, it won't compare to your altered builds (or any others you've done for that matter) but it's been a fun and rewarding build so far.  Getting a practice body in color and putting it over the frame was a bit of encouragement for me.  Made another punch-list for this one and I'm getting much closer than I realize.  The hard stuff is wrapped for the most part I think. 

Cheers everyone! 

Tim... Holy Smokes, you have been doing some serious work to this build. Now tell me are you making this a working throttle cable so that when you push on the gas pedal the butterflies in the Crower 8-port injector will move. If so, I need to really consider packing things up and quite the hobby...lol I love the work you have done. Your spoon tests look amazing, I know it's a lot of work but well worth it for reference. I need to do a better job at this myself.  Keep up the great work on this and I look forward to your next update.

Chris, unlike RandyD. my butterflies will not be operational.  I'm just not that talented.  Thanks all the same for the comments however.

Thanks John, before I spray the actual car body, expect a call at some point for a few questions I'd like to cover with you.  I've no doubt your answers will give me better results.  I did clear the practice body last week and it did make it pop.  That was encouraging and I had NO orange peal.   YEAH!  

Art & Dave, thanks guys.  It's s-l-o-w progress as I'm into the tedious planning stages with an eye towards final assembly.  I've been working on coming up with particular methods to do things and paint etc.  With that in mind................

These few pics are a quick mock-up of some of the parts I painted yesterday.  I didn't even remove some of the masking tape, of some of them.  Now I can move forward with engine assembly & detailing. I'm happy with the mock-ups I've done and the colors.  You should see it with the fuel lines & butterflies on the Crower 8.  I media blasted the bottom half of the magneto and sprayed it flat black and the cap itself is semi-gloss black.  When detailed with plug wires & fittings, it should really be a nice addition to the engine.  I did add water neck fittings to each front header tube to run hard lines to dump into.  Trans is painted as well, more on that later.  Some weathering in some places should add to it when I get it assembled.  Cheers everyone!

DSC 0017

DSC 0058DSC 0039