Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 Roadster Altered

Aaron_F

This one's going to be a late '50's style altered. I used the rear end from Revell's SWC Willys, with ladder bars from the Rat Packer kit. Wheels and tires are from the Orange Crate. The grille is a cut down Revell '32 piece with the center cut out. I'm using the kit supplied Nailhead but I still haven't decided what intake setup it will have in the end. The roll bar is scratch built, but I might make another because this one isn't wide enough.

YES!  Nice proportions.

Only thing wrong for a late-'50s altered would be the trans. The basic design of trans attached to the Revell ('29 Ford) Buick nailhead engine didn't debut until about 1964.

The trans in the SWC Willys kit is based on an earlier design GM unit, and would be more appropriate, though a manual gearbox would have been more likely in the late '50s.  :D

This is a freakin' rad idea. One of the things that's been said about the channeled version of this kit is that there's too much "air" under the car but having those 1/4 elliptic springs and long trailing arms hanging under there takes care of that problem. The Orange Crate wheels & tires look perfect. 

If you're sticking with kit supplied intake choices, Hilborn injectors all the way! 

B)

Why don't you get the two four set up from one of the AMT Riviera kits, and if you want to stay fifties style trans (but you have '60s rear suspension) go with the block adapter from the AMT '40 Ford coupe, and the '50 F-1 transmission from Revell since it has better detail, but it would be relative to the rear suspension if you used the B&M Hydro out of any of the early Revell kits with the Oldsmobile motor, the new custom version of the Olds coupe even has that trans.

Thanks guys! Since the last post I've raised the front a bit, added a spreader bar and Moon tank, swapped in a B&M Hydro from the AMT parts pack and made a new roll bar. I also raised the engine and transmission mounts about 1/8". The headers are from the kit, with the ends cut off. This is the first full chassis mock up. Enjoy!

IMG_4701_zps4uiqqrus.jpg

IMG_4704_zpsdrganwdz.jpg

IMG_4707_zpsri5k6wzi.jpg

Edited by Aaron_F

I'm glad everyone's diggin' it! Thanks for helping me get motivated to finish this! It's almost ready for priming and painting. Color will be Tamiya TS-58 Light Blue Pearl.

Edited by Aaron_F