Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Chevrolet El Camino SS Soap Box Derby II

regular guy

Builders

http://round2corp.com/product/1968-el-camino-with-bonus-soap-box-derby-car/

This is on the Autoworld website.

Looks like the packaging is targeted at the nostalgia market.

The Soap Box Derby version is a hint there.

The mags and the paint color choice and vinyl roof are

the way a lot of them looked then.

Might be an allusion but the rake of the car looks right too,

Banner says Chevrolet's doing something for 'Youth of America', very cool!

Wonder what the Soap Box Derby I kit was, probably a Ford Ranchero, Ford

was still Number One then.

Regular Guy

Chevrolet sponsored the Derby back then.  I remember them pulling out of it a few years later, after the winner was caught cheating.  If Chevrolet is still not connected with it, Round 2 probably couldn't get permission to copy the original box more closely.

Mark

It's just cool they left that there or used that version of boxtop,

That picture posted here is NOT picture on Autoworld website.

Those mags on Autoworld picture are Keystones,

I ran a set for awhile, they were aluminum centers welded to steel rims.

The word was, they would seperate on you,

I never had a problem with mine.

Regular Guy

Edited by regular guy
edit

The Keystone wheels were probably made the same way that Cragar made their S/S mags.  The center would be die cast aluminum, the outer rim steel.  When Cragar cast the aluminum centers, they first put pieces of steel in the casting die and then poured the aluminum.  When the center was pulled from the die, it would have steel inserts cast into it, but the ends of the inserts stuck out at the perimeter of the casting.  They then welded those steel prongs to the steel rim.  I don't know if the center and rim were plated separately and then welded together, or if the wheel was chromed as a unit.

Hey, no apology necessary. Easy to miss. Has good info on original issue. :)

Orig issue was lid I posted from other thread. It was the second boxing of the '69 El Camino that we haven't seen since. It had unpainted Rallyes and the Americans that have been in jillions of kits. Same as the 69 Chevell convert recently re-issued. 

The new issue is a '68, new tool (probably 15yo now :o)

Edited by keyser
forgot

I'd have to say that of all the El Camino's ever done, THIS '68 is by far THE BEST I've seen! I have the original release of the kit and while I've not built it, I've not heard any major complaints about it save for those annoying sink marks in the vinyl roof (which in my opinion it could do well without).

The Keystone wheels were probably made the same way that Cragar made their S/S mags.  The center would be die cast aluminum, the outer rim steel.  When Cragar cast the aluminum centers, they first put pieces of steel in the casting die and then poured the aluminum.  When the center was pulled from the die, it would have steel inserts cast into it, but the ends of the inserts stuck out at the perimeter of the casting.  They then welded those steel prongs to the steel rim.  I don't know if the center and rim were plated separately and then welded together, or if the wheel was chromed as a unit.

Both were also made in 1-peice aluminum. 

The centers were most definitely plated separate from the rims. If you look at the back of a brand new set you'll see the bare welds. Also, I work in a plating shop; one of the processes for doing aluminum is a dip in nitric acid to activate the surface for the zincate coating (which is what the copper/nickel/chrome plating bonds to). The nitric acid would etch the steel rim badly. The cast in steel lugs do get etched some but they don't need to be smoth and shiny so the added texture doesn't matter.

Nate

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize there was a Chevy bowtie-shaped base included with the original soap box derby car, so hopefully it will be included when it's reissued. Pic of original parts from some guy's eBay listing:

AMTSBDC.jpg

Edited by Casey

Is this kit out already? When you click on the link included in Bob's first post here, it sends you to the AutoWorld web site, and says you can order it now. So I'm guessing its out, or will be very soon? Anybody know for sure?

The kit isn't out yet, nor is it as of yet on available for Pre-Order on Autoworld through the end of 2016.  The original link takes you to the Round2 corporate website which isn't the same thing as AutoWorld Store.  When you click on the "Order @ AutoWorld" link it instead links to the Lucinda Lewis '57 Chevrolet kit.

Uncle Scott

I don't know when it's coming out for sure.

It might show up for sale at Autoworld and Hobbylinc between now and Christmas.

The timing seems to be announce kit and kit in stores 2-3 months later.

I think Autoworld website guy just stuck '57 Chevy link in there to keep site running smoothly.

There is only a couple people at Autoworld doing a whole lot of stuff.

Here's picture of display it comes with.

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/3175-coming-off-the-shelf-68-el-camino-done-in-derby-style/#sthash.J7w7Ix6A.dpbs

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by regular guy