Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it just me, or has the site slowed down again?

russosborne

I don't have problems with the site loading......  What gets my goat is, when I click on a thread title on the New Content listing, I get the "spinning wheel" for up to a minute sometimes before that thread actually opens.  Then, when I write a reply to post in a thread, it sometimes takes a minute for it to actually post.  It's very annoying and frustrating.  I use Google Chrome on an ASUS computer with plenty of memory and AdBlock Plus.

This is pretty much the same problem I have, with a different browser and computer setup. I have learned patience. I just wait for things to load.

This is pretty much the same problem I have, with a different browser and computer setup. I have learned patience. I just wait for things to load.

Yep... Obviously we have no choice but to have patience and wait......  Until the powers that be get around to fixing whatever is causing the problem.

Can it be frustrating to wait for the page to refresh? YUP, it can. But, as the computer sits on my hobby bench, I simply spend the time building. This is a hobby, and as such, is no reason to get the blood pressure up. Now, at my business where I am required to use state and federal web sites to process our firearms sales, and THOSE sites take forever to load and then sometimes time out in the middle of a transaction..................THEN I get JUST a bit upset, and have thought mightily about using one of my products to ventilate the computer sitting in front of me! But, one is fun, and the other is work. And FUN should be just that, no matter what! Build on!

Edited by redneckrigger

Curiouser and curiouser.  Past few days, almost every other time I switch to a different thread, or even log in, the site hangs for 30 seconds to more than a minute. No problems on any other site, and I visit MANY daily doing parts purchasing and research for the 1:1 cars. Haven't changed browsers, settings, internet providers or computer.

On the flip side, uploads of photo-including (from P-bucket) content on my own build threads hang occasionally, and it sometimes doesn't hang at all...instant post.  :mellow:

This is the most inconsistant site I visit...but 80% of the time it's just  fine,and when it's not, it's only mildly annoying.

I've no reason to complain..just sharing with this post.

Edited by mike 51

Yeah, this site gets annoying and I don't visit as much as I would like to, and posting a reply takes forever, but if you think this is bad go over to Ford Truck Ent. site, I had to stop going there, everytime I went my computer would just stop for three minutes.....and if I moved the mouse it would start beeping like wild...

Have a great day folks. I'll be lurking somewhere in the background........................

Joking around about the volunteers that are helping out on this board does not help. What helps is posting the actual problems you are having.

I have asked the administrator, Dave Ambrose, if he knows when he will update software.

From my server tech people:

So after looking into your load issue, I tested the website myself and found thing were loading at a normal pace and wasn't finding any issue with. I looked at your load logs with our mr.radar service and it appears you had an out of normal spike in server yesterday around between 6:45pm ET and 6:50pm ET. This is most likely due to a number of requests during that time, I will investigate further and let you know of any updates. Your load has returned to normal since then. 

Just tried to copy / paste a post to the "1/24 history" thread in the "drag racing" heading. Same response I tried to post several days back. Got exactly the same result.

404.png

404 Error

SORRY. WE                           CAN'T SEEM TO FIND         THE PAGE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.

• 2 weeks later...

This Add keeps showing up on every page here that I view, usually in two instances.

One at the top of the page the other lower down on the same page.

It never actually opens anything in the blank black box area, just a spinning

(loading?) thingy in the center.

It can be closed by clicking on the X. 

It does cause a stall if not closed down as far as I can tell.

This is using an I-mac w/Safari.

Is anyone seeing problem or is it just me?

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 3.48.43 PM.png

My PC won't even allow me to type while the ad is loading.  I have to close all instances and I have seen up to (3) on page.  Most annoying!!

Yes, It's annoying for sure.

I have tried to click on this thing to get to the source of this problem.

No results.

It has made it almost impossible to use this forum for me.

Yes is could have something to do with my I-mac and Safari settings, but it was never a problem before.

• 3 weeks later...

Again this AM, trying to post a response in a build thread, got the dreaded 404 message shown below, multiple times. I edited the response and tried to paste it back in, same result. Edited it more, and it finally posted, but the site then almost immediately knocked me off, and I couldn't log in again for over an hour. This odd behavior has happened before.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I'M NOT BASHING THE SITE. I'M TRYING TO POST FACTUAL INFO ABOUT PERFORMANCE ISSUES THAT MAY GIVE THE ADMINISTRATORS SOME INSIGHT.

404.png

404 Error

SORRY. WE CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE PAGE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I have a new problem nobody else seems to have. I cannot use the back arrow to go back a page. Sometimes have to go completly out of the forum and come back in to get the pages to reload. Sometimes it will let me do this by getting to the Home tag

Dave, I have a new problem nobody else seems to have. I cannot use the back arrow to go back a page. Sometimes have to go completly out of the forum and come back in to get the pages to reload. Sometimes it will let me do this by getting to the Home tag

I had the same problem. Tried to respond to a post, and got the 404 Error. The back arrow wasn't working (latest and greatest version of Chrome), and when I closed the window and tried to reopen the site, it was turtle slow. :(

Things seem to be working (for now), but it was frustrating as it was a lengthy post that got lost. I'm going to have to start putting things on Word Document and transfer things here when it comes to long posts like an update on a WIP for instance. It's too frustrating to have to remember and type all that I wanted to say more than once. :rolleyes:

Edited by MrObsessive

Dave, I have a new problem nobody else seems to have. I cannot use the back arrow to go back a page. Sometimes have to go completly out of the forum and come back in to get the pages to reload. Sometimes it will let me do this by getting to the Home tag

I have a similar one. When I click on the last read post button (the dot to the left of the topic title), it may take me to page 4 of 5. I read page 4 and go to page 5. When I click back to try to get back to the index, it won't change pages. It will usually go back if I don't change pages (4 to 5).

In that case, I generally right click on the back button. It will present a list of the pages I've recently viewed in order. I select the page I want to go to, and it works. The reason I say the page I want to go to is that there is often advertising links between the pages I choose, and I may have to skip them. I use IE11 as my browser. 

I have noticed a slow down along with other issues.  I click on a topic or thread and it takes a while for the page to come up.  About 30 seconds or more.  When I get on a topic that includes pictures, the pictures don't load and I have to refresh the page several times before they do.  It becomes infuriating after a while and I either put up with the slow times or leave the page and revisit it later. 

Not a complaint, just an fyi.

My first instinct is to blame my computer (pos that it is) but this seems to be the only site where it really is noticeable.

Using Firefox and Windows 7 HP.

Thanks,

Russ

I've noticed it too! I thought it might be my WIFI signal.