Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby model kits 20% off. GRRRR

Which means you can't use the 40% off coupon.

Although when I went yesterday there really wasn't anything that just screamed "buy me!" anyway. Plus I don't need to be buying any kits right now. Spending all my little spendable cash on my 1/1 cars.

And fyi they have a Lindberg 37 Ford Custom that is $39.99. Along with the Lawman kit. ??? A LINDBERG kit for that price???

Thanks,

Russ

I went there today with the 20% off sale. I asked an employee if I could still use my 40% coupon and he said I could. Took the kit to the front counter and gave them the 40% coupon. They accepted it no problem (you'll just get the 40% off, not 40% plus 20%). If they say anything, tell them you want the 40% coupon over the 20%. I walked out of there with the MPC Barracuda kit, 40% off, no worries.

Hmmm. They aren't supposed to do that, so I never asked. I always mostly follow the stated rules. Speed limits not so much, but even those I am following much more than I used to.

Russ

Gotta live life a little bit, not everything is written in stone;)

Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow ?

Which means you can't use the 40% off coupon.

Although when I went yesterday there really wasn't anything that just screamed "buy me!" anyway. Plus I don't need to be buying any kits right now. Spending all my little spendable cash on my 1/1 cars.

And fyi they have a Lindberg 37 Ford Custom that is $39.99. Along with the Lawman kit. ??? A LINDBERG kit for that price???

Thanks,

Russ

One thing to keep in mind with those kits Russ, they come with Cartograf decals, the Lawman kit price could very like be 2/3 kit and 1/3 decal or more like 50/50!  Not sure about the other kit though, I thought those were supposed to be a decent kit like the Lawman kit, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of decals it might have to justify the $40 price tag, Cartograf decals, or not.

Just to let everyone know Hobby Lobby has free shipping today on orders over $59.00. I just started looking but I'm not seeing anything to my liking yet. I thought maybe people that don't have one nearby or can't get there might be interested.

p.s. There's also 20% off model kits on the site too.

Edited by JerseyRed

wish they would drop the LAWMAN price at my  H.L. it`s at  $ 40.00  too high

At first I thought the $39.99 price was a mistake on their part.  But all three HL stores in my area had them at that price.  I checked their website, it's $39.99 there too.  That's several dollars higher than retail.  Some of the Round 2 kits are priced at $29.99, again some of those are above retail.  Looks like they're jacking prices on some kits to offset some of the effect of the 40% off coupon.

I've got a local hobby shop that has started e-mailing 20% and even 25% off coupons.  His stuff is normally priced at, or slightly below, retail.  If I were to buy the Lawman kit from him with the 25% off coupon, it would be the same as, or very close to, the HL $39.99 minus 40%.  If it's the same, or within a buck or two, I'll go with the LHS...fellow club member, local small business owner, 10% off for club members (offsets the 8.75% sales tax), and he carries stuff like Humbrol paint and Evergreen styrene that the chain stores don't have.  Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a good hobby shop within a reasonable distance, though, so those folks have to shop online or wait for the next show.  Even then, you should be able to beat $39.99 minus 40%. 

I might have been able to justify the $39.99 price tag on the Lawman  if they had the decals to do the entire car. Not just the lettering. When I saw the 'Cartograph ' badging I thought cool . All I have to do is paint it white,,,,,WRONG . I was seriously dis-appointed. The decals in all honestly dont look all that much better than my Fred Cady decals do .

But hey, the box art is pretty cool.

Edited by gtx6970

I went to Hobby Lobby around Christmas time a couple of years ago and they had model kits 20% off so I couldn't use the 40% coupon.  Since then I always check their weekly ad on their website to make sure the model kits are not on sale before I go to Hobby Lobby.