Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Vette

dlh

I agree, nice foil work Dave, and a nice build overall.

I just bought that kit to build next year. Thanks for the warning on the fitment issues.

The bottom edge of the tail is a separate piece. Directions said to install it after the chassis was in place, but I installed it before; worked fine.  I had to putty it in and sand it before painting.  Same with the bottom piece below the front grill; major fitment issues.  I did have to install it after fitting the chassis, but it required putty to fill gaps around the grille. Hope this helps.

Dave

Good job.  I like your paint and foil work.  I built the same kit last year and found it to be a lousy kit.  You cannot build an accurate factory stock version.  It will take a lot of work to build this kit into a accurate factory stock 1960 Corvette.  The interior tub appears to be from a 1957 Corvette kit.  I had to scratch build a shift console plate and sunvisors.  I had to add the rear quarter window frame and glass and drip rail to the hardtop.  It was a real challenge to get all of the parts to fit.  The chassis is too narrow for the body.  I had to glue strips of styrene to the inside of the sides of the body to prevent the chassis from falling out of the body.  If you do plan on building this kit, please dry fit all of the major components at least twice so you won't be unpleasantly surprised later.

Edited by carrucha

NIce build on what I remember as a difficult kit to build. To me, it seemed like the parts didn't fit well.

You got that right!  Neither the front or rear pieces below the bumpers were even close to fitting.  I glued and puttied the rear one before painting, counter to the instructions.  I had to leave the front one off until fitting the chassis.  But I had to putty and reshape it as best as I could to make it mate and to close gaps around the front grille.  (much adult vocabulary).  I'm still a beginner so it gave me practice making pieces/parts fit.

Dave