Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Cuda T/A

afx

I’m in a trans-am mood so I’ll take a whack at converting the Revell kit into a road racer.

The hood is from the 1:24 scale Monogram AAR Cuda kit modified to fit.

DSCN4697

The head and valve covers are also from the AAR kit, intake manifold comes from the AMT 340 Duster, carb is a resin Holley.  The block is the 426 from the base kit used to hopefully avoid fit issues down the road.

DSCN4712

The kicker bars are .062 rod. I removed the water outlet from the top of the timing cover. The air cleaner is from the Revell '66 Mustang with the sealer flange cut from .015 flat stock.

DSCN4715

Edited by afx

Thanks David.

Frank, doing Swede Savage's car because I believe he was the only one that ran with the multi-color stripes. 

Found this great artwork piece while doing research.

doug-garrison-auto-racing-art-swede-savage-42

Edited by afx

Its a nice kit David, I think you will like it.

And just to be different I will be painting my build the alternate color.  These are the same picture but obviously different exposure.  I believe the top picture is more representative of the correct alternate color.

sm-col-034Swede Cuda eight 006 zpsbuwdz3zx

Edited by afx

Thanks guys.  Too bad your pictures aren't digital Bill, would love to see them.

pm me an address. I'll dig them out and send them to you.

Once your done with them via either with the build or make copies...send them back. 

Best I remember it was a pretty dark blue with 

Semi gloss  grey interior and chassis .

pm me an address. I'll dig them out and send them to you.

Once your done with them via either with the build or make copies...send them back. 

Best I remember it was a pretty dark blue with 

Semi gloss  grey interior and chassis .

Very kind of you to offer your pictures.  I sent you a PM.

Edited by afx

Buy extra and practice.:D

I use solid rod Shay in lieu of hollow tubing.  I bend the rod either with my fingers or round needle nose pliers.  Once I am happy with the shape I heat the bent area over a candle flame to relieve stress in the material and set the curve.

Any tips on bending plastic rod JC?

There's a place in England that sells bendable styrene rod. In the U.S., Midwest used to market it as "Super Styrene". Alas, it is no longer available here, as far as my research has led me. I ended up buying it here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/raboesch-styrene-profiles-1000mm.html

You can bend this by hand. It works great for headers, roll bars, sway bars, etc. I used it to make the sway bar for my Malibu. I've used it in other applications, too, and I love it so much I actually ordered some from the U.K., when I began to run low.

IMG_2274cr.jpg

There's a place in England that sells bendable styrene rod. In the U.S., Midwest used to market it as "Super Styrene". Alas, it is no longer available here, as far as my research has led me. I ended up buying it here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/raboesch-styrene-profiles-1000mm.html

You can bend this by hand. It works great for headers, roll bars, sway bars, etc. I used it to make the sway bar for my Malibu. I've used it in other applications, too, and I love it so much I actually ordered some from the U.K., when I began to run low.

Thanks for the suggestion Daniel.  Does the rod have a metal core?  I have some metal core styrene rod IIRC was made by Evergreen.

Edited by afx