Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Cuda T/A

afx

Thanks for the suggestion Daniel.  Does the rod have a metal core?  I have some metal core styrene rod IIRC was made by Evergreen.

Nope! Its formula allows it to be bent by hand, and retain its shape without applying heat. I remember the rod with the wire, but don't recall if it was Evergreen or Plastruct who made (makes) it. You want to use some finesse, in bending it, but, I love the way it behaves.

Sounds easy.....LOL

I'm displaying my ignorance here, but what are the two chrome wotsits ahead of the air cleaner, and what kind of plumbing are they sitting  on?

Sorry Shay missed your question, as Bill stated its an oil cross over tube with (2) breather caps.

Image result for oil breathers

Nope! Its formula allows it to be bent by hand, and retain its shape without applying heat. I remember the rod with the wire, but don't recall if it was Evergreen or Plastruct who made (makes) it. You want to use some finesse, in bending it, but, I love the way it behaves.

I tried the wire core version and didn't care for it.  Your material sounds much more promising.

Greetings,

If it helps you, I've searched a bit across both the Dan Gurney as well as the best Swede Savage pages on Facebook searching for reasonably clear images capturing the 'other color' to the best possible effect.  Ponder the following with the understanding that the best is first and that things go downhill as you continue!  The Speed Merchants shot of Swede Savage at St. Jovite may not be the most trustworthy for the limitations of period color process, although isn't the first Gurney shot seen below fresh and vibrant?  Anyhow, ponder the following:

Dan_Gurney_one.thumb.jpg.da45c61255fd722Dan_Gurney_two.thumb.jpg.cdc3ff4b7b873ac

Swede_Savage_one.thumb.jpg.b4dd54a06569d

Dan_Gurney_three.thumb.jpg.05abd89f45119

Kind regards...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

Excellent photos Mike - thank you!  Thanks John, I'll check it out.

Purchased a set of Fireball Modelworks very nice 15" Minilites and received them today. Did a quick mockup.  I was concerned they might be too large for the 1:25 scale Revell kit but I think they will work.

DSCN4727

Edited by afx

Here is a mockup with the Sports Car Special tires found in numerous Reveollogram kits.

DSCN4728

I think these rears fit the wheel well better. The fronts from the other photo seem to fit better though. Hard to tell from the photos.

Here is a much better mock-up with the stance and the proper track set.  I also removed the wheel well trim at the rear and modified the front.  I think this looks much better.

I used the "Custom" suspension from the kit and was fortunate that the stance was right on IMHO.

DSCN4734

Edited by afx

The Bud Moore Mustangs ran these.  

'70 Boss 302 Mustang T/A 

Wheels

Minilite Magnesium 15 x 8

Tire Make and size  Firestone 5.00/11.5-15 front
5.80/12.00-15 rear

The set I am using are not wide enough (8.3 front, 11.4 rear) but I think the diamter and sidewall height are accurate or at least close and I'm happy with the look.  The Fireball tires are 6.00/10.7-15 front, 8.00/12.5-15 rear.

According to the person that posted it, these pictures were taken in the Penske pits at Mid-Ohio in 1969.

1969 06 08 0221969 06 08 204

Edited by afx

As a Mopar fan, I really really like this build, great work going into this

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a properly "good" 1:25 scale AAR Cuda kit made, from a mainstream producer

After the reissued Revell 70 Cuda kit, I thought and wished maybe that would happen, but hasn't yet

Looks good JC,.

Would they be running a lower profile tyre on the front end than the rear back in the day? looks like 70 series on the back and 50's up front.

Just asking/thinking out loud! lol

I was an SCCA Technical and Safety Inspector in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the era of the 1970 'Cuda that AFX is building a replica of here.

Larger rear tires than fronts has been typical of most all road racing cars at least since World War 2 other than front wheel drive cars. This is to deal with the horsepower being transmitted through the rear tires. The front tires need to handle steering loads. But the rears handle more traction loads than the fronts. Thus slightly larger tires on the rear. The tire sizes for bias ply road race tires in the1960s and 70s seem rather odd and not very reflective of the actual sizes of the tires. So what you see above are the actual race tires and sizes, but don' t try to relate those sizes to street tires. But yes, the rear tires are normally larger overall than the fronts. The rules for Trans Am racing in the era limited the wheel size to a diameter of 14 or 15" and width of 8". Tire sizes were not specified in the rules. But body modifications to allow bigger tires were limited. Tires had to fit inside the only slightly modified stock fenders.

As a Mopar fan, I really really like this build, great work going into this

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a properly "good" 1:25 scale AAR Cuda kit made, from a mainstream producer

After the reissued Revell 70 Cuda kit, I thought and wished maybe that would happen, but hasn't yet

The kit being used here is an all new tool in 1/25 scale by Revell 1st released a year or 2 ago. This is NOT the old 1980s inaccurate Monogram 1/24 scale tool re-issued again. Although the green hood is from that old Monogram kit trimmed down slightly to fit in the 1/25 scale body.

Apparently you think the new Revell 1/25 kit is just the old Monogram recycled again. If that's the case, then I suggest you check out the new Revell 'Cuda kit. It's still not perfect, it IS a model car kit, but it's WAY better than the old Cuda and Challenger kits. Your wish HAS come true.