Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Cuda T/A

afx

Smokey's Camaro was infamous but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

Surprised the Cuda ran with the stock exhaust outlets in the rear valance (I think the restored car has them filled) but that makes it easier for the modeler just install the kit valance.

Capture18-vi

Thanks Mike an AthOz.  

To lower the car they added a spacer (the silver block in the photo) between the leaf spring and the axle.  

1970DodgeChallengerTransAm 07 700

A silly little detail that I decided to replicate using 0.75mm (.030") flat stock.  This lowers the back end 3/4 scale inches.  I also replaced the wimpy molded in mounting pins on the axle with something more substantial.

DSCN4770

• 2 weeks later...

Yea Bill, someone else also pointed that out.  The picture above is of the Challenger but I would suspect the Cuda ran the same diff.  Not sure if I will change it out, I like the detail of the Dana.

I did a quick Google search for Swede Savage's 'Cuda and found this video of the restored car. The poster did a complete walk around of the car and very quickly put the camera under the rear of the car. I think I saw a bolt heads/nuts on the rear. Could be that it did have a Dana. Checks the rear at about 1:13.

https://youtu.be/NHXrGEO4GWM

Thanks Mike an AthOz.  

To lower the car they added a spacer (the silver block in the photo) between the leaf spring and the axle.  

1970DodgeChallengerTransAm 07 700

This is interesting, as I guess it lowers the car without the need to modify the spring's arch. I wonder if they did this to also get the tail shaft more aligned with the transmission, for less vibration. Also, that block will probably stiffen that area, so they maybe got less axle windup?

The forum you have in your signature are 100% eye candy. WOW!

Edited by AthOz

I did a quick Google search for Swede Savage's 'Cuda and found this video of the restored car. The poster did a complete walk around of the car and very quickly put the camera under the rear of the car. I think I saw a bolt heads/nuts on the rear. Could be that it did have a Dana. Checks the rear at about 1:13.

https://youtu.be/NHXrGEO4GWM

I see the bolt heads too Mike - thanks for posting it.

Thanks Dan.

The spoiler only attaches to the trunk lid.  I added a .010" strip to the base of the spoiler before attaching it.  Also cut the notches for the safety pins. 

DSCN4790Capture18-vi

Edited by afx

There's a very nice 8 3/4 axle in the AMT '71 Charger, should you choose that  avenue, JC. Photo by Casey Littman.

AMT71ChargerRTRear_zpsad6b9eb4.jpg

The only negative is the AMT axle has the spring windup bumper above the pinion. That bumper appears to be absent on your posted photo.

My educated guess is the following. Road racers would prefer an axle with a removable center section, for the ease of axle ratio changes. Several pre-set sections could be kept on hand to easily tailor the axle ratio to suit a particular track. The 8 3/4 (and the 9 inch Ford) would suit that method.

Just my humble opinion, JC. I enjoy following along here and on the racing forum :).