Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Cuda T/A

afx

I think if you look closely, the AAR Cuda had its alternator on the drivers side of the engine. I know the standard 340 small block in regular passenger cars had it on the passenger side but for some reason Keith Black moved his to the other side. 

I think if you look closely, the AAR Cuda had its alternator on the drivers side of the engine. I know the standard 340 small block in regular passenger cars had it on the passenger side but for some reason Keith Black moved his to the other side. 

You are correct Bruce, it was installed on the driver side and lowered a fair bit.  I still have a lot to add to the engine bay (oil cooler, remote oil filter, expansion tank, etc.) so I may not take on relocating the alternator but stay tuned.

Edited by afx

Nice work JC. I'm planning on one of these too down the road. I'm starting with the '70 Bud Moore Mustang first. Just ordered a set of those Minilites for mine. They look fantastic. 

I think maybe a late '60's early '70s Trans Am group build sounds good?

Looking forward to your next update.

David

Apparently you didn't properly read my post:  "...hasn't been a properly "good" 1:25 scale AAR Cuda kit made, from a mainstream producer."

Owning two of the new Revell Cuda 2n1 kits, from which J.C. is doing a superb job converting, and most all other has been mass produced, is the point of my saying, that now Revell could (and should) finally do a good 1:25 AAR Cuda version based upon their new release.

Love the stance and wheels and tires J.C.  Keep up the great work!

The kit being used here is an all new tool in 1/25 scale by Revell 1st released a year or 2 ago. This is NOT the old 1980s inaccurate Monogram 1/24 scale tool re-issued again. Although the green hood is from that old Monogram kit trimmed down slightly to fit in the 1/25 scale body.

Apparently you think the new Revell 1/25 kit is just the old Monogram recycled again. If that's the case, then I suggest you check out the new Revell 'Cuda kit. It's still not perfect, it IS a model car kit, but it's WAY better than the old Cuda and Challenger kits. Your wish HAS come true.

Thanks Daniel and Jerry.

David here are my wheels/tires.  I drilled the hub and installed a stub axle.  The wheel backs come as 1-piece.  I had to modify the front wheel backs to fit my narrow tires and also utilize the kit's nice disk brakes.  I removed all the lettering from the tires except "Good Year".

DSCN4740

Edited by afx

Thanks Daniel and Jerry.

David here are my wheels/tires.  I drilled the hub and installed a stub axle.  The wheel backs come as 1-piece.  I had to modify the front wheel backs to fit my narrow tires and also utilize the kit's nice disk brakes.

DSCN4740

Really nice JC. I'll likely do exactly the same thing. I'm using pretty much the same method on the new Fusion glue kit. Same thing, decent looking brake discs hidden by the wheel back so I hollowed the wheel backs out and used the outer ring to connect to the front half just like you have here.

Looking forward to more JC.

Construction of the main roll cage.  Make sure to check your references to get bar size right.  The Cuda used 1.5" tubing, I'm using 1.5 mm (.060") rod which scales out very close.  

DSCN4747DSCN4750DSCN4754

Edited by afx

Owning two of the new Revell Cuda 2n1 kits, from which J.C. is doing a superb job converting, and most all other has been mass produced, is the point of my saying, that now Revell could (and should) finally do a good 1:25 AAR Cuda version based upon their new release.

I don't know what Revell is waiting for in this new tooling. A fresh kit of the AAR 'Cuda would seem to be a no brainer. Of course, now that JC is doing all this work, they'll announce a kit probably next year! :P

I don't know what Revell is waiting for in this new tooling. A fresh kit of the AAR 'Cuda would seem to be a no brainer. Of course, now that JC is doing all this work, they'll announce a kit probably next year! :P

Bill I think you would be safe to say that .................... Revell dose weird things.

JC- I love what you are doing here and the level of detail you are creating really shows.

Just for clarification, what front and rear tires did you finally go with? What kits are they from? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have wanted to build a Trans Am 70 Mustang for ages and yours is getting that plan moved closer to the head of the pack.

Later-

Thanks Tom.  I used the "Good-Year Blue Streak Sports Car Special" tires that have been included in many different Revellogram kits.  A few options:

• Essex Wire Cobra 427
  • All the '66-71 racing Corvette kits: Penske Sunoco, Owens Corning, Stars & Stripes, Rebel Le Mans
  • '32 Ford : 3-window and 5-window

Interior mods:

• Separated the rear seat panels and attached them to the rear bulk head. Covered them with blank off plates and added a simulated door jamb.
  • Added cover plates over the door panel scallops.
  • Removed the lower dash valance.
  • Modified seat from the Revellogram Shelby GT350.

DSCN4755

Construction of the main roll cage.  Make sure to check your references to get bar size right.  The Cuda used 1.5" tubing I am using 1.6 mm (.060") rod which scales out very close.  

DSCN4747DSCN4750DSCN4754

Ok JC. You need to do a tutorial on how to build a rollcage with pics and materials list cause this thing is a work of art, easily one of the best scratch built rollcages I've ever seen.

JC- I love what you are doing here and the level of detail you are creating really shows.

Just for clarification, what front and rear tires did you finally go with? What kits are they from? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have wanted to build a Trans Am 70 Mustang for ages and yours is getting that plan moved closer to the head of the pack.

Later-

I agree Tom. One of the reasons I started rounding up parts for mine was seeing this. I'm a Mustang guy, and been wanting to do one of the '70 Boss' for a long time. This thread has inspired me to get cracking on it. I just need to finish up the 100 or so WiP's I have on the go first.....

Interior mods:

• Separated the rear seat panels and attached them to the rear bulk head. Covered them with blank off plates and added a simulated door jamb.
  • Added cover plates over the door panel scallops.
  • Removed the lower dash valance.
  • Modified seat from the Revellogram Shelby GT350.

DSCN4755

Awesome JC. More please.

David

Thanks David but scratch built? I just drew it up in CAD and had it 3D printed.:lol:

I’ll consider a tutorial on building a roll cage but really I fabricate a cage using the same techniques and the same sequence a 1:1 cage would be built.

• Main hoop
  • Front facing legs
  • Filler/cross bars

As for tools/materials here is what I used to build my cage.

• The candle is used to set the shape of the bends
  • The jar contains scraps of plastic dissolved in liquid cement - makes a great adhesive and also a nice filler
  • I love the Touch-N-Flow glue applicator - use it constantly.

DSCN4758

Edited by afx

Wasn’t happy with the position of the diagonal bar from the top of the A pillar down to the transmission tunnel so I reworked It. Looks better now.  Had to notch the ends of the dash to clear the roll cage.  Still more bars to add behind the roll hoop!

DSCN4759DSCN4763

When they sent the cars out to be acid dipped, oops I mean "chemical cleaned" they left them in the tank a little too long.  This caused issue with body flex.  The extensive roll cage was designed to help minimize this.  

I understand the body flex was more severe in the Challengers.  The thinking was the cars were not properly neutralized after the acid bath and continued to etch.

Edited by afx

At least they weren't acid dipped as long as Smokey Yunick's '67 Camaro. (The 1st one, not the one that Christy Edelbrock has been vintage racing for several years) That car was so thin the breeze in the paddock at Riverside was rippling the roof panel while we were Tech Inspecting it.  One could not lean against any panel to examine it without denting the car. There were so many things blatantly violating the rules in that car that Tech Chief John Timanus told Smokey to never ever bring that thing around again. Full belly pan, reshaped body panels, plastic rear window, etc. ...  About as true to Chevy showroom product as a Picasso is to a photograph.