Model Cars Magazine Forum

new for 2018

Bert

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Ok Revell, time  to bring back the Merc! :rolleyes:

Image result for grease cars

Yes...and make it a 1950.
I saw that car at Bill Papke's shop in Huntington Beach, Ca in 2012, under restoration when a friend of mine bought some parts for a 1950 Merc 4-door hi just bought...But Papke died  from cancer very soon after so I don't know what happened to the car after that.

4 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

So after what, 5 pages of hating on the Ford, can someone explain to me whats the problem with it?

There are no problems. It's a great kit, and I'd say one of the best released during the Revell-Monogram era. The optional flathead hop-up parts are more modern than vintage, so that could be viewed as a negative by some?  Buy it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, Casey, but you can use the Hop Up Parts from the Chopped '48 Coupe, and they are all vintage.  I'll be getting one of these, when they arrive.

And, I must be the only one, who wishes that somebody would do the Red Car in resin. There was one cast in the 1990's but I never got it. I LIKE the Red Car. Over the Top Goofy, but unique.

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It's been a while since I've seen Grease. The above photo shows the Mercury from the movie, and it has white lettered tires? Somehow that doesn't seem very "50's" to me. And those wheel covers? American Graffiti always feels true to the time period it represents, to me. Grease is a fun movie, but IMO it really did not do a good job representing the 50's. Back to the Future does a much better of capturing the feel of the 1950's. And again, don't get me wrong, I like the movie Grease. The automotive scenes in that movie have always turned me off. 

White lettered tires are probably a paid product placement.

Back in the 90s Paramount Studios rented my 72 Montego wagon to use in "The Brady Bunch Movie"  Along with painting my white car metallic brown, they replaced my whitewall tires with white-lettered Goodyear tires.  The picture car company said it was a product placement, that Goodyear was paying for the tires to be seen in the movie.

BradyMontegoWagon.jpgvlcsnap6111678fy9.8571.jpg

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

Back in the 90s Paramount Studios rented my 72 Montego wagon to use in "The Brady Bunch Movie"  Along with painting my white car metallic brown, they replaced my whitewall tires with white-lettered Goodyear tires.  The picture car company said it was a product placement, that Goodyear was paying for the tires to be seen in the movie.

To be fair, I do think it looks pretty awesome with the white letter tires and pedestrian wheel covers and brown paint.

4 hours ago, Jordan White said:

To be fair, I do think it looks pretty awesome with the white letter tires and pedestrian wheel covers and brown paint.

I liked it better in white with the whitewalls.  Picture car company took off my factory bumper guards and lost them.  Front ones were hard to find.

Cleaning up the body for paint was a real pain.  This was originally a Villager, with the vinyl fake wood.  Not easy to remove.

8 hours ago, Force said:

18 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Ok Revell, time  to bring back the Merc! :rolleyes:

Actually a 1950 would be easy to build from Revell’s 1949. How about instead Revell put out a 1951 Mercury, that would really sell since a 1951 has never been produced in plastic.

8 hours ago, sfhess said:

One Rare and fantastic car.....still own it???? First car I bought my son was a Mercury wagon so I am bias!!! 

55 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh yeah, sorry! 

New kits! :rolleyes:

Way to ruin it, Jesse. <_< :lol:

Maybe Revell saw some nice returns on the Starsky & Hutch kit and they are going after that sweet TV/Movie collector market fan money again with the Greased Lightning. Sure help that it's a nice kit in and of itself, even without the (very) mild few new custom parts. Hard to tell on the flyer if those are in fact newly created baby moon hubcaps of the stock hubcaps, though. 

14 hours ago, carnut said:

Actually a 1950 would be easy to build from Revell’s 1949. How about instead Revell put out a 1951 Mercury, that would really sell since a 1951 has never been produced in plastic.

There is not that many 1950 Mercs done either (one or two), no coupe and none recently.
It's relatively easy to do a '50 from a '49 but the grille with parking lights, the dash, the rear window,, the side trim, the hood and trunk trim, the hubcaps and the rear bumper guard and some other small things is different from the '49 so you have to get that from somewhere...and The Modelhaus is no more for parts.
To do a '51 from the '49 tool involves more work as the differences are a lot more.
I think  the '50 is cleaner looking than the '51 because I don't really like grille, the rear window opening and welded on rear quarter panel extensions on the '51.

44 minutes ago, Force said:

There is not that many 1950 Mercs done either (one or two), no coupe and none recently.
It's relatively easy to do a '50 from a '49 but the grille with parking lights, the dash, the rear window,, the side trim, the hood and trunk trim, the hubcaps and the rear bumper guard and some other small things is different from the '49 so you have to get that from somewhere...and The Modelhaus is no more for parts.
To do a '51 from the '49 tool involves more work as the differences are a lot more.
I think  the '50 is cleaner looking than the '51 because I don't really like grille, the rear window opening and welded on rear quarter panel extensions on the '51.

Revell need to totally start with a new tool for their Mercury body. My dream car is a chopped Merc, the kit was a blessing til I opened it. I have purchased 2 for parts and pitched the bodies.

15 hours ago, Dave Van said:

One Rare and fantastic car.....still own it???? First car I bought my son was a Mercury wagon so I am bias!!! 

We rented it to Paramount for the first movie then sold it to them for the second.  Sometimes I wish I still had it.  It was our family hauler (4 kids) for a few years.  My parents bought one new and I bought mine in 1986.  Both had the same drivetrain - 400/2V with a C6 trans.

Edited by sfhess

6 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

My brother owned a 72 Mercury Montego GT once...Id love to build a replica of it.  Thanks for the kit updates gents...any word from Round2 yet..???

I still have a Montego GT grille emblem I bolted to the grille of the wagon.  Always wanted to get the matching scooped hood too. Interesting that the plastic insert for the Montego GT emblem is the same as the one on a 66 Fairlane GT.

8 minutes ago, sfhess said:

We rented it to Paramount for the first movie then sold it to them for the second.  Sometimes I wish I still had it.  It was our family hauler (4 kids) for a few years.  My parents bought one new and I bought mine in 1986.  Both had the same drivetrain - 400/2V with a C6 trans.

Hope you got LOTS of cash for it.....I like the orphan, unloved and odd cars......

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Hope you got LOTS of cash for it.....I like the orphan, unloved and odd cars......

We got a pretty good amount for it.  Should have got more, the engine was freshly rebuilt shortly before the sale.  Bought a GMC Safari as a replacement family hauler. 
I still have my 69 Cougar.  I got that in 1986 too.

Nice to see the 80's Pro Stock (and even Pro Street livery in some instances) kits coming back .

The 1994 Impala ... I'll have to get one to bash with the 1991 9C1 so that I can get the more-desirable round rear wheel well arches .

I hope that the '69 Boss is satisfactory .

Edited by 1972coronet